Revision

teresamc_1
on 10/3/13 11:19 am

Hello. I had my lapband placed by Dr. Kuri (Mexico) July 2008. I was 224, and lost 71 lbs. I yo-yo until Febuary 2013 and my band slipped due to stress. I had it ER removed April 2013. Since then I have gained all of the weight back. I developed GERD, depression, and a hiatal hernia. My BMI is a 35. I am starting the process of going through Aetna. The problem is, I do not have 2 years of a 35 BMI because I was successful with the band. Does Aetna consider that? My back and knees hurt, I haven't had my period in 2 months, I have shortness of breath.

I am going for the PSY eval, EKG, and chest Xray Monday. Crossing my fingers I am considered revision... help!

Member Services
on 10/4/13 4:31 am - Irvine, CA

We are so sorry to hear all you are going through... May we suggest you post this on our Insurance, Cash Pay and Financing also  

pineview01
on 10/4/13 8:11 am - Davison, MI

Just wanted to say I'm sorry you were a band victim too.  You may, besides checking out the above board, ask/check the wording to see if it says the LAST two years or ANY two years.  I am just guessing that your bmi was above 35 pre band.  If so can you get doctor/WW/ or some other documentation from when you were above bmi 35?

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Lisa O.
on 10/7/13 1:32 am - Snoqualmie, WA

I also had a band put in the same year as you and had it removed in May 2013 due to damage to my esophagus from chronic reflux and a stretched pouch/esophagus.  I have Aetna, but you know, all policies are different.  Mine did not require documentation of being a certain BMI for a certain amount of time.  For me I had to do 3 months of medically documented supervised weight loss sessions and a BMI of 40.  If your BMI is under 40 I believe you need to have 1 or 2 comorbidities.  Unfortunately I don't think Reflux/Gerd counts.  Neither do depression or a HH.  I have Apnea which they also documented when they turned in my paperwork.  I also have chronic reflux which is documented, but is not a comorbidity.

I'm not 100% sure about any of this, but your surgeon will be able to guide you.

I was approved in 4 days, btw.  I hope it goes as well for you!

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Most Active