People with Band to VSG or RNY

auntylinda
on 8/14/13 12:41 am - CT

OK, I have come to terms that there are risks with every surgery... if I did it once I can do it again. The benefits are so great to me that I am willing to go with it. But now, the question, what surgery? I have been given the option of the RNY or VSG. I have read a lot in 2008 when I got the band and I have been brushing up again, but I want some real like people.

What are the similarities and differences from when you had the band to now having your current tool?

What are the biggest food restrictions you personally had with each surgery?

What was the great pro and con you had with the band (obviously, if you are like me, the biggest con is something happened to cause you to have to have it out or have a revision? What is the biggest pro and con you have with your current choice?

Finally, currently, what is a typical day's menu for you currently?

Thanks for the help! I don't want to cause an uproar. I don't need to bash surgeries. I don't like the band. It made me sick. I have no qualms with saying that, but I don't preach to people either. If someone asks, I tell them my experience and conclude with I would never have it again, but I know some people who absolutely love it. Even some that had to have it replaced and still love it. In short, I want your personal experiences, not what you think is wrong with any other surgeries.

Thanks for the help! This is a difficult time for me. I want to lose and I want to do it the best way that works for me.

Linda Highest 324, Lowest 198, Current 304, Goal 170

Member Services
on 8/14/13 3:30 am - Irvine, CA

Here are some links to the forums and information for the different surgery types you are thinking of having your revision too.  Also speak to the members for any questions you may have concerning the VSG and or RNY.

Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy
Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass
Duodenal Switch

Good luck!

Lisa O.
on 8/14/13 3:50 am - Snoqualmie, WA

I had the band and am hoping to revise to RNY in October.  My band was removed in May due to dilation of the pouch and esophagus and chronic reflux.  

I was successful with the band and only started gaining weight when I added carbs (primarily sugar) back in to my diet.  I also have chronic reflux and because of that my surgeon will not do the Sleeve as a revision.  I should have done RNY to begin with because of my addiction to sugar.  Not everyone gets dumping syndrome but it should be enough of a deterrent to keep me off sugar.  

There's no perfect choice in WLS so I'm just going with the one I feel is best for me based on what I have learned.

Best of luck to you!

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

(deactivated member)
on 8/14/13 8:14 am
On August 14, 2013 at 7:41 AM Pacific Time, auntylinda wrote:

OK, I have come to terms that there are risks with every surgery... if I did it once I can do it again. The benefits are so great to me that I am willing to go with it. But now, the question, what surgery? I have been given the option of the RNY or VSG. I have read a lot in 2008 when I got the band and I have been brushing up again, but I want some real like people.

What are the similarities and differences from when you had the band to now having your current tool?

What are the biggest food restrictions you personally had with each surgery?

What was the great pro and con you had with the band (obviously, if you are like me, the biggest con is something happened to cause you to have to have it out or have a revision? What is the biggest pro and con you have with your current choice?

Finally, currently, what is a typical day's menu for you currently?

Thanks for the help! I don't want to cause an uproar. I don't need to bash surgeries. I don't like the band. It made me sick. I have no qualms with saying that, but I don't preach to people either. If someone asks, I tell them my experience and conclude with I would never have it again, but I know some people who absolutely love it. Even some that had to have it replaced and still love it. In short, I want your personal experiences, not what you think is wrong with any other surgeries.

Thanks for the help! This is a difficult time for me. I want to lose and I want to do it the best way that works for me.

Linda Highest 324, Lowest 198, Current 304, Goal 170

I am band to sleeve 5 years ago.

~~What are the similarities and differences from when you had the band to now having your current tool?~~

Nothing is similar at all.  The sleeve does what the band is supposed to do.

~~What are the biggest food restrictions you personally had with each surgery?~~

Band restrictions - pretty much everything.  Sleeve restrictions - no food but my own unique issue is that I can no longer take oral antibiotics.  I hurl non stop regardless of antibiotic.  I haven't tried liquids although I can't see why it would make a difference.

~~What was the great pro and con you had with the band (obviously, if you are like me, the biggest con is something happened to cause you to have to have it out or have a revision? What is the biggest pro and con you have with your current choice?~~

Band pro - before the band I could not do an all liquid diet.  I didn't have whatever it takes.  With the band I learned I can do thin liquids only for 4 straight months.  Band con - everything else.

Sleeve pro - Everything.  Sleeve con - nothing I can think of.

~~Finally, currently, what is a typical day's menu for you currently?~~

Pretty normal foods.  Today for breakfast I ate shrimp with lemon juice.  Lunch - Chili.  Dinner will be chicken veggie soup.  Snacks are raw veggies with Hidden Valley Dip and s/f popsicles.

I eat a lot of fish sticks, soups, chili, spaghetti sauce without pasta, tacos (I live in MX), Morning Star veggie burgers, Morning Star BBQ ribs (Morning Star is fake meat, good stuff), tons of tuna in salads, MX style tuna salad, tons of raw and steamed veggies, Spring rolls, just regular food.

I don't like bands either.  I hope Allergan goes bankrupt.  ;o)

Most Active