information needed.

sfnativewm
on 7/12/13 12:08 am

I have Kaiser and will be getting my band out the end of Sept.    I asked for the sleeve revision and was told "sadly most studies show that if the band didn't work, doing another procedure rarely helps much.  And something like a sleeve is permanent so if it causes too much nausea/vomiting there is nothing that can be done about it"

Anyone have and information regarding this?

Thanks

~Ann~
Band removed and feeling alive with energy!

Hislady
on 7/12/13 6:02 am - Vancouver, WA

I've read a great deal about the sleeve and band removal, actually the sleeve is most often chosen by band removal patients. The band doesn't work for a great many people but the vast majority of band to sleevers say the sleeve acts like they were told the band would and didn't. I have never read anything like the statement they gave you. I call poppy ****! Medicare approved the sleeve last year so if they OK'd it it must be effective. Just read on the sleeve forum about how many people changed to the sleeve from band and have lost all of their excess weight and they were unable to do so with the band because it is so fickle. I would definately appeal this statement, the only time a sleeve may not be good is if you have serious reflux. However often the band itself causes reflux so as long as the reflux goes away after band removal then reflux shouldn't be a big issue.

sfnativewm
on 7/12/13 11:51 am

Thanks!  I am going to print up as much information as possible and bring it in next month!

~Ann~

ButterflyAna
on 7/12/13 6:37 am - Gilbert, AZ
VSG on 03/04/13
I had my 2nd band removed and replaced with the sleeve 4 months ago and I am down 32 as of today. I am losing weight slowly but I am losing. I was stalled for over 3 years with the band and was way sicker.
Good Luck with whatever you decide.

HW 360 Lap Band 4-15-08 (322)  Revision to Realize Band 11-15-11(249)  Revision to Sleeve 3-4-13 (249) CW 189

sfnativewm
on 7/12/13 11:52 am

Congrats on 32 lbs!!!    Slow is best!!  Keep your eye on the prize!!

~Ann~

airbender
on 7/13/13 9:13 am

so we are all individuals, i will tell you my issues.....I had the band for 8 years, lost 200 lbs down to 127 lbs, yes  i was very successful.  sadly it also caused permanent esophagus damage.  because of the numerous irreversible complications post band, the VSG would not be effective for me as my surgeon suggested (one issue is I had lost the ability to feel fullness)  so i went in for a DS.  so for me it was the opposite, because the band has caused me so much damage my anatomy was so abnormal, i wouldn't have restriction.    if i had normal anatomy and the band hadn't permanently damaged my anatomy I would have had the vsg, but I am very very glad i have the ds....also yes the sleeve is permanent and it should be... let me tell you there was no one with more nausea, vomiting, reflux etc everyday every hour than me,,,,with the vsg (ds) i have nothing, yes nothing.  i am years out from my revision surgery and still have no restriction (my surgeon used a 32F bougie, so it is small) even at 5 days post op i could drink 8 oz of water at a time.  i was on so many different reflux RX, now year later with the vsg (ds) nothing, perfect.... hat could also be because of the damage (i have permanent nerve damage also)   i wish you a great revision...i am not sure of your details, but you should get what you think is best for you, and be honest with yourself....

larra
on 7/27/13 3:46 am - bay area, CA

You have been misled. Kaiser simply has a regional bariatric surgery group that has decided, as their policy, that they won't offer revisions. The truth is that many, many people experience failure with the lap band, many people revise to other operations and experience great success. Not everyone, of course, but many.

You have in effect received a denial. You can appeal this denial. I can't promise you will win, it may depend on your current bmi (in other words whether or not you meet the standard criteria for bariatric surgery) and comorbidities and WHY you are having your lap band removed. I know very little about you. I do know that Kaiser will continue denials through the internal grievance process and you will need to go to external review through the DMHC (dept of managed health care). I also know that Kaiser has recently been cited by the DMHC for deficiencies in their grievance process, including as it pertains to bariatric surgery. I will send more info in a pm.

Larra

pineview01
on 7/27/13 7:27 am, edited 7/27/13 7:27 am - Davison, MI

Kaiser is full of s..t.  Many have revised from the band, which is THE worst WLS.  Yes, the sleeve is permanent BUT it is also the first part of a DS.  If you had problems you could go onto the second stage which is the DS intestinal switch.  So that is two points that they are totally wrong on.  You could also go the a RNY with out the blind stomach which I personally wouldn't pick.

My insurance also went to a once in a lifetime WLS policy so I had to fight for the sleeve.  When the band came out I waited 4.5 months for the stomach to heal and regained 25 pounds.  In six months with the sleeve I lost that 25 pounds and am down another 35 lower than I ever got with the band.

There are MANY band to sleevers on the VSG boards that are doing great.  Post this there and see what you get from them.

Fight for your sleeve!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active