RNY to DS Revision

Jackie McGee
on 7/2/13 6:05 am - PA

Looking for recommendations to surgeons in or around Pennsylvania who will do this procedure. Best way to get a hold of me is to PM me.

Thanks in advance.

Proud mama of Mischa and Gabriel, both born post-op.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 7/2/13 3:08 pm

I'm sorry to see this post from you, in part because there are no cute baby pics in it, but also because you are having problems to the point you are seeking a revision.

I hope you actually come back to read, but I cannot PM this info to you as I was put on 2 week moderation several years ago, and PMs do not go through, so this is the only way to give this info. 

First of all, the specific revision from RNY to DS is tricky, and only a few surgeons can/should do it. You may find other surgeons that will do a revision, but to things that are easier for them to do, like ERNY or bob, and I'm sure you know you don't want to waste time on those. You will have to travel. The list of surgeons that can actually do this tough revision follows:

Dr. Keshishian, located in California

Dr. Rabkin, located in California

Dr. Stewart, located in Texas

Dr. Simper, located in Utah

Dr. Elariny, located in Virginia

Dr. Roslin, located in New York

Dr. Buchwald, located in Minnesota

Surgeons above are in the US, and if you are willing to travel outside the US, there are the surgeons below:

Dr. Baltasar, located in Spain

Dr. Marchesini, located  in Brazil

Dr. Gagner in Canada and Dr. Greenbaum are also experienced surgeons, but please use caution, and RESEARCH!!!!!!!!!!!

pineview01
on 7/2/13 3:20 pm, edited 7/2/13 3:21 pm - Davison, MI

Amy, I copied and pm'd it to her for you!  Have you every asked why the 2 weeks have gone on for several years?

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 7/2/13 3:34 pm

Thank you pineview!

Yes, but have heard no response. I don't take it personally, there are many others that have the same issue, but chose to not return. I come less often because of it, and limit my posts to ones that I feel someone needs information, but quit posting purely social stuff, or attagirl/attaboy type posts.

Jackie McGee
on 7/2/13 10:16 pm - PA

Thank you!

Based on the list, New York would probably be the closest. I'm going to contact them and see what I can find out.

(If you want cute baby pics add me on Facebook :) )

Proud mama of Mischa and Gabriel, both born post-op.

MsBatt
on 7/7/13 12:25 pm

Hey, I've been on 2-week moderation since December of '11. I've asked why, but they just ignore me.

pineview01
on 7/10/13 3:00 am - Davison, MI

Well, bless your heart!  You are still here all the time helping others despite the moderation.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

AnnHailey
on 7/9/14 1:58 am - Simi Valley, CA

Hi! Can you tell me the diff between eRNY bob and RNY to distal RNY. The nearby Bariatric surgeon I met w did not discuss any of these & told me revisions are not very successful but he will do it for me if that is my choice. Can you help me understand the difference between them & which hVe you heard are most successful. I figured I'd be feeling same post-revision as with orig surgery, with the pouch reduced to what it was after RNY.Got  pregnant 7 months after surgery & had to force myself to eat frequently...stopped my loss but over past few years I gained 100 of my 150lb loss most back with poor habits. Isn't the revision like starting over as if you've had the RNY again?

MsBatt
on 7/14/14 6:05 am

Welcome!

You're more likely to get lots of replies if you start a new thread, rather than post on a zombie thread.

There are several ways to revise a failed RNY. The distal or ERNY is the most common, but it comes with its own set of problems. Massive malabsorption of certain vitamins and minerals, minimal malabsorption of calories, those pesky little things! (*grin*)

Sometimes the opening from the pouch is tightened. (Well, they *try* to tighten it. It doesn't seem to be very easy to do.) There are various ways they try to do this. There's sclerotherapy, which is scarring the stoma to sort of fill it in with scar tissue. It seems to be good for about 20 pounds. There's the Apollo Overstitch, which sort of pleats the stoma. (No long-term data on this one yet.) And then there's the BOB, or Band Over Bypass. It's exactly what it sounds like---adding a LapBand to your existing bypass. Research the Band VERY carefully before choosing this one!

The most successful form of revision for the RNY is a complete take-down, then doing a Duodenal Switch. However, this is a very complex surgery and only a few surgeons perform it. Most people who opt for this do have to travel for surgery. On the plus side, the DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats of all forms of WLS. Unlike with any version of the RNY, the DS causes permanent malabsorption of a significant per centage of the calories you eat.

Ladyk5533
on 7/14/14 5:28 pm

Ms Batt,

are you a doctor? You seem to do a one size fit all! The DS IS NOT FOR EVERYONE AND WHAT WORKS FOE ONE PERSON MAY NOT WORK FOR EVERYONE!  Drs spent a lot of time going to Med school and specializing in certain areas, therefore I would think they know more than you. You recommend DS to everyone as a new surgery or a revision. Their BMI and cir****tances may not warrant this type of procedure.

Most Active