Band to bypass scheduled & scared to death

reddhedgrl
on 5/31/13 1:52 pm
I am scheduled to have my band (from hell) removed and revised to a gastric bypass ( the only revision approved by my insurance). My surgery date is July 2nd.. My surgeon requires a liquid only diet for 2 weeks prior & 90 days post surgery. Honestly,I am scared to death to have the bypass. My Dr. says my results will be better... I only lost 36# from the band...all of which I gained back, because all I do is vomit. Anyway.... Of all the people I know, only 2 have had success, minimal complications & love their bypass results. The others I know that have had the urgery have ended up in ICUS, had major complications or 1 friend died of sepsis .. Can anyone share with me their results? Also, I'm mortified of the idea of losing my hair.
Thank you
Hislady
on 6/1/13 4:38 am - Vancouver, WA

There are many banders who have had RNY so post this on that forum too. I know several who have been very successful but like all the  surgeries you have to make lifestyle changes and dietary changes. You won't lose all your hair so don't panic, some lose alot some hardly any, the loss is from surgical shock to your body any trauma to the body "can" cause hair loss. Anyway it will grow back, you can always invest in some hair pieces or extensions if you are bothered by it. You'll do fine!

pineview01
on 6/2/13 3:47 am - Davison, MI

I was band to sleeve so will talk about the common issues.

If the surgery will be done in one surgery, make sure you stick to the liquid 90 days post surgery!  I had mine in two and healed 4.5 months between so it was much easier and less risk involved.

If every revision your surgeon has done has ended in ICUS and 1 died, I would strongly suggest you find another surgeon that does revisions with better results.  Mine hasn't had a death and only a 1.5% leak rate and that included the first 2 out of 4 that they did and why they don't do the revision in one surgery any more.

That did make it harder on the hair as I was just starting to lose from the first when I had the second surgery.  I started to take biotin and upper my protein from 60, Nut's recommendation, to 100+, old Nut's recommendation from band.  I had long hair and cut it shoulder length with layers.  I like it so well and it looks so thick and healthy, I am considering not growing it back outmail

smileyjamie72
on 6/3/13 4:49 am - Palmer, AK

Please do NOT SETTLE for the RNY........ APPEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

MARIA F.
on 6/7/13 9:19 am - Athens, GA

I am hoping to revise myself. I would prefer VSG, but if ins. will only approve RNY I am fine with that. I would suggest you going on ther RNY forum here and doing research. Most that I know with RNY have done awesome. There can be some complications that occur generally during or immediately after surgery (as opposed to Lapband where the complications occur much later). You will find that RNY is a much safer surgery than it once was. And as far as losing your hair, well my hair is much thinnner since I got my band. I had extremely thick hair prior! Many do have some hair loss after WLS, and you may have after RNY. But what about the trade off? Lose a little hair, lose a LOT of weight! :-)

FormerlyFluffy.com

happygrandma
on 6/7/13 12:52 pm - Highland, MI
RNY on 12/17/12

Just saw your post but thought I would answer anyway.  I had a band to rny revision in December, all in one surgery plus a hernia repair.  I didn't have any major problems with it.  I lost 50 with the band over a couple of years, gained 1/2 of it back - couldn't have it filled at all or I'd throw up every time I ate.

I only had to do two weeks of liquids after surgery, pureed for another week then soft foods through week 8.  Had a few food issues throughout the process but can now eat most anything.

I thought I was going to be the lucky one that didn't lose hair but no such luck.  About 5 months it started coming out.  Hasn't been too bad but it's definitely coming out.  Its pretty thick to start with so hopefully it will stop before it's really noticable.

Like someone else said, check out the bypass forum if you haven't already.  Band conversion is pretty common.

Good luck to you, I don't think you'll be sorry.

Linda

Most Active