Question on success after lap band removal

(deactivated member)
on 5/12/13 12:15 pm
On May 12, 2013 at 4:23 PM Pacific Time, aml2285 wrote:

The band has left me to skittish for any other surgical intervention.  I am going to have it removed and try WW or another tool to help.  Hopefully I do not fail at that also, but I am prepared if I do.  I am also prepared for an initial weight gain after removal. 

So you are like the rest of us! ;)  Don't let the band get in the way of getting your life back.  Life is too short.  Very few people can lose or maintain weight loss after removing the band.  Just research it and see what you think.  Research doesn't cost anything. It could save your life.

Sleeves do what the band promised to do.  No need for fills, unfills, fighting for a sweet spot.  You come out of surgery at your sweet spot.  No long term risks or complications.  It has been done for 100 years for various reasons and for weight loss since the 70s.  It's really the oldest surgery type of the big four.

Everyone is afraid of making two mistakes.  Just get through that and do what is right for you.  If you are paying $6K anyway for just 1-2K more you can revise and  be done with it ALL for good.  No maintenance, no anything.  Just lose weight and live your life.

mittens20
on 5/12/13 12:02 pm - MD

hi i just had the band removed 2 weeks ago i had a upper gi and my band slipped i have to wate 6 months and them im having gastric bypass i can no****e i have knee problems back problems but my husband is great and hes behind me all the way

TynettaM
on 5/14/13 3:28 am - Greensboro, NC

Hello....

i had my band in 1/28/2008   removed 4/24/2013....everyone has a dr that will do something different in regards to revision.

Personally, my Dr has a 3 month rule on revisions, meaning he will take it out....and within 3 months he will revised to something else.

His reasoning is that during the 3 month time frame, his team will retrain on good eating habits, educate about revision options, and the 3 week preop diet.....

Most people say do it all at once......to him doing it separate allows for the stomach to heal.....I had loads of scar tissue and I'm still sore......also the risk of leaks is reduced.......

He used to do it in one session but he doesn't like having patients under for longer than normal and he has better patient outcomes by doing it in two surgeries.....

I feel so much better having it out....I have a hernia, acid refulx, sluggish esophogaus.....etc......

My sleeve date is mid July.

Baby1234
on 8/15/15 8:34 am

How are you doing?

(deactivated member)
on 8/16/14 5:14 pm

The lab bands doesn't work I feel just thrown my money , now I have a big ball in my bally and pain constantly  and the doctor said that is normal, this procedure don't help me to loss weight but money. Now I try exercise and healthy food and that is working. I want that plastic thing out of my body but the doctor want charge me again. If you are thinking to do that, don't do it.  

J_mo
on 10/11/14 2:16 am

I had my lap band installed in July of 2007.  I have lost 50 pounds but it's due to my counting calories and exercise.  I am having my band removed due to constant cough due to mucas that will not go away.  When I eat I'm constantly coughing due to the mucas.  I really hope I get some relief after having the band removed.  I take sudafed and Benadryl daily to try and dry it all up but it really doesn't help that much.  Has anyone had the same problem with excessive mucas?  I have not had fluid in my band for 4 years.

roseygirl
on 10/11/14 7:35 am

Banded 2007 and had a hate/hate relationship as well! Was not prepared or educated enough to have any band success. I lost about 20lbs total. Removed the band in 2012 and when my surgeon mentioned a revision I said "No way buddy. I hate this WLS thing and I'm going it alone." I even went to holistic nutrition school and started practicing yoga but as work stress rose in 2013-2014 I gained about 40 lbs. I just could not get on the band wagon to stick to a diet and the scale kept going up and up.

I just got VSG last week and my only regret is not doing a revision in 2012 when I got the band removed. So far I am more happy with this choice. No more gagging on food and feeling hungry even though my band said it was full. Now when I eat, I feel full in my tummy. I can only eat a tiny bit but you should be semi used to that with the band. I can't speak highly enough of the sleeve. My surgeon said they don't even do bands any more because so many people fail with them or have problems. 

VSG Surgery 10/02/14

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

58jamma
on 10/11/14 5:20 pm

how are you doing after your revision surgery which surgery did you have hope everything is going fine

roseygirl
on 10/11/14 5:24 pm

I did the vsg and my only regret is not doing it in 2012 when i had the band removed. No more getting stuck, sliming or looking for the closest bathroom to barf it all back up.  When I feel full i stop. I can eat about a 1/4 cup (4oz) serving and eat three meals and one snack (sometimes 2) a day. It's been great. I'm down 16 lbs since surgery and am 9 days out.

VSG Surgery 10/02/14

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

(deactivated member)
on 3/18/16 10:39 am

Hi Amy,

I have gone through 2 bands. The first slipped around my stomach. I felt great looked good. But had to undergo emergency surgery because I was so dehydrated. They then gave me a larger band. It never felt as it was doing anything even when I had 12.5 cc in it. I burped, gurgle and started gaining weight. My feet were swollen everyday. Sometimes I would throw up but not much restriction. I did everything by the book and saw my Dr once a month or every 2 weeks. After 5 years. Of dealing with this. I'm done. I found a new Dr. Found my band was around my esophagus..geez really. Anyway met several heath professionals. That either knew of someone or they themselves have had the band removed with success. I don't want to say everyone but these bands were a fad thing for people who had been fighting the battle forever. Myself included. I was offered a gastric sleeve. But now am not heave enough and I'm ok with that. I'm going back to meal prep and when I can actually return to exercising I will return slowly the scar tissue from my band around my esophagus caused major major scar tissue and complications when removed it's been a hard road but not a road that I can't conquer. I will not give up on myself or anyone else that wants to lose weight. I don't feel the Lap-Band has helped anybody successfully keep the weight off or at least I have not met anyone even the poster children I knew have had the bands removed I know we went through like cattle when this was the big thing years ago I have met several people who have had success losing weight after having the band removed but you have to want it if you need a buddy a dietitian a doctor someone to help you meal prep someone make you accountable whatever you need to do to move forward with your weight loss is not impossible but it is hard I for one am not giving up on myself I was 100 pounds overweight at one time and I am not going back there. I have watched to many people in my groups eat junk and drink beer eat sweets and garbage. Then wonder why they aren't losing. However I didn't do that. I'm learning to eat good food again. Wholes grain raw fruit and veggies. They taste amazing.. I've lost 8 lbs so far and I will reach my goal.. so as to your question yes you can lose after having the band removed and with success. It's a choice that is a personal one. Like having the band in the first place.. good luck Amy 

Most Active