Stretched sleeve? Or botched surgery?

Laura73
on 5/11/13 2:55 pm

I had sleeve 3 years ago. The surgery itself was a nightmare. I was awake but paralyzed during part of it. Could hear all going on and feel breathing tube. Surgeon & anesthesiologist were in total denial. I got my med records and vital signs looked perfect throughout. Talked with a friend who is a nurse anesthetist and she said my BP and pulse would have gone way up and that would be indicator to increase anesthetic. Surgeon & anesthesiologist were shady after. Bariatric nurse was there in recovery. She validated my experience but only privately. 

So post surgery healing I had some restriction. Lost fast for 6-8 weeks. Then gallbladder had to come out. Very sick. Lost more. Then leftover gallstone blocked bile duct. Horrid pain and sick. Took way too long for them to figure it out. Had early pancreatitis. They removed stone by ERCP. So more loss from being sick. 

Once I recovered from all this I didn't feel much restriction. Coworker had same surgeon for sleeve one month after me and she couldn't eat much at all. We compared pics of our sleeved stomachs and hers looked like a tube. Mine looked like an empanada

I have gradually stopped eating right. I've done nutrisystem and weigh****chers with poor results- 5 to 6# in 3 months. Have gone through a don't care depressed phase for a while now. I can eat just as much as pre-sleeve and often do. Overall I lost about 60# and have gained over 40# back. I'm now on metformin for insulin resistance and really struggling to eat right. Back to increasing protein and minimal carbs. 

I'm wondering if I just stretched my sleeve out by eating poorly or if I never really had the full benefit of a sleeve. I wonder if surgeon rushed through and closed up because of the anesthesia issue- maybe my BP was super high? 

I became very depressed after the 3 surgeries and I think a lot of that is how my body handles anesthesia. I'm on an antidepressant and a mood stabilizer and they both increase appetite. I do see a counselor. I'm just really confused about what happened and wonder if surgeon didn't make sleeve small enough if it would be possible tone re-sleeved? If my meds are making me fat I don't want to go through surgery and fail again. I think first step would be an endoscopy to see what's going on there. 

Would appreciate any insights. Especially curious if a sleeve can be redone and how common it is to stretch the sleeve. Thank you. 

Rheumtolose
on 5/13/13 7:01 am - NV

Hi,

I was sleeved on 07-31-12 and had a great surgeon, an uneventful recovery, and not much restriction.  My surgeon told me that this is very rare but he absolutely believed me.  My starting weight was 252 with my presurgical weight at 235.  My lowest weight was 213 and that was not long after surgery.  It is depressing to be in the small percent of people that don't have restriction.  Prior to my revisional surgery I could eat as if I had never had the sleeve- that knowledge alone is depressing and doesn't help those of us in this position to "make good choices".  I mean..... if we were good at that we wouldn't be here in the first place!

So on 05-03-13 my surgeon (same one) Dr. Kent Sasse did an imbrication to my sleeve.  A sort of gather and stitch if you will.  This is the first time I've really felt restriction.  I now realize the huge difference between post sleeve feelings of "I guess this is restriction?" to post revision "wow! this is what they mean".  I'm at 218 today and this time round I'm feeling cautiously optimistic.  Help this post helps you.

Laura73
on 5/13/13 12:41 pm
Thanks so much- that does help. I saw my regular doctor today. I've lost 10# in 2 months so she's encouraging me to hold off on surgery but not take that option off the table. I'd love to hear about your continued success. I think I'll need revision of some type and if I can succeed without going for DS I'd prefer a procedure like yours. The "good choices" stuff makes me so mad. And it's hard knowing 3 people from two different places I've worked who are very slender post sleeve. People are quick to judge and imply that I'm washing spoonfuls of sugar down with milkshakes all day! Best of luck and any further info or success you'd like to share in the future would be appreciated!
(deactivated member)
on 5/13/13 2:46 pm
On May 13, 2013 at 7:41 PM Pacific Time, Laura73 wrote:
Thanks so much- that does help. I saw my regular doctor today. I've lost 10# in 2 months so she's encouraging me to hold off on surgery but not take that option off the table. I'd love to hear about your continued success. I think I'll need revision of some type and if I can succeed without going for DS I'd prefer a procedure like yours. The "good choices" stuff makes me so mad. And it's hard knowing 3 people from two different places I've worked who are very slender post sleeve. People are quick to judge and imply that I'm washing spoonfuls of sugar down with milkshakes all day! Best of luck and any further info or success you'd like to share in the future would be appreciated!

Plication is not done by the better surgeons for the most part, it's just really a dangerous procedure long term.  The surgeon who created plication has been very clear during bariatric conferences that it is a short term solution.  He really created the technique for people who were an extremely high bmi and too risky for a long DS or bypass surgery.

If your sleeve was made too large it can typically easily be resleeved.  i would suggest a barium swallow and that will tell the tale right there.  Just go to an actual revision surgeon and not your standard issue bariatric surgeon, sounds like the first one may have used a technique where far too much of the fundus is left  vs. being removed.  If it is large people typically lose well but regain.  If it is mombo sized people don't lose well at all.

A sleeve really is the safest option long term, plication is not.  Not even close.  The weight loss results do not last but the risks and complications are for life.

MsBatt
on 5/14/13 1:48 pm

You need to realize that better than 98% of diabetics who get the DS see total remission of symptoms. That alone would make having surgery totally worth it for many people.

(deactivated member)
on 5/13/13 2:49 pm
On May 13, 2013 at 2:01 PM Pacific Time, Rheumtolose wrote:

Hi,

I was sleeved on 07-31-12 and had a great surgeon, an uneventful recovery, and not much restriction.  My surgeon told me that this is very rare but he absolutely believed me.  My starting weight was 252 with my presurgical weight at 235.  My lowest weight was 213 and that was not long after surgery.  It is depressing to be in the small percent of people that don't have restriction.  Prior to my revisional surgery I could eat as if I had never had the sleeve- that knowledge alone is depressing and doesn't help those of us in this position to "make good choices".  I mean..... if we were good at that we wouldn't be here in the first place!

So on 05-03-13 my surgeon (same one) Dr. Kent Sasse did an imbrication to my sleeve.  A sort of gather and stitch if you will.  This is the first time I've really felt restriction.  I now realize the huge difference between post sleeve feelings of "I guess this is restriction?" to post revision "wow! this is what they mean".  I'm at 218 today and this time round I'm feeling cautiously optimistic.  Help this post helps you.

I just realized that each forum I go to here you are here pushing your surgeon.  Do you work for him?

Rheumtolose
on 5/14/13 2:44 am - NV

No, I am a long haul trucker.  I am NOT pushing my surgeon, in fact you might notice that the main message board post didn't have his name until YOU made a very negative and snarky comment.  Your posts are uncalled for and unwanted.  Why do you have to be so unkind?

(deactivated member)
on 5/14/13 5:00 am
On May 14, 2013 at 9:44 AM Pacific Time, Rheumtolose wrote:

No, I am a long haul trucker.  I am NOT pushing my surgeon, in fact you might notice that the main message board post didn't have his name until YOU made a very negative and snarky comment.  Your posts are uncalled for and unwanted.  Why do you have to be so unkind?

Sorry, disagreeing with you is not unkind.  It is what adults do when we discuss topics.

Rheumtolose
on 5/14/13 5:28 am - NV

If you cannot understand why your posts are unkind and negative then it is I that should have more empathy for you.

(deactivated member)
on 5/14/13 6:27 am
On May 14, 2013 at 12:28 PM Pacific Time, Rheumtolose wrote:

If you cannot understand why your posts are unkind and negative then it is I that should have more empathy for you.

Projection.

Did you have anything regarding obesity that you wish to discuss?  Or just more accusations and attacking?

Most Active