Starting Revision Process

MJUguccini
on 5/7/13 10:53 am - Cleveland Heights, OH

Hi all! I had RNY in 2010. Lost about 80 lbs, everything was working out great, then I got pregnant, and that's when my hunger returned. In law recently offered to pay for a tummy tuck, but I think that's stupid when I haven't lost all the weight I wanted to lose. So I'm looking into revision. I'm not really sure which one sounds the best for me yet, I'm considering the ROSE surgery lap band. Those of you who have had a revision, how has the process been? Was it long? Was there a lot og counseling and nutrition appointments like there was with the inital surgery?

Thanks!

Ladytazz
on 5/7/13 2:11 pm

I don't understand.  You want a revision to lose 37 lbs or did you regain more?  In any case I doubt a revision will do you much good unless you have a mechanical failure such as a stretched pouch or enlarged stoma.  It is very unlikely that you could get insurance to pay for a revision without complications or a BMI of at least 35 with comorbidities or 40 without, like the first time.  What good would a revision do if there is nothing wrong with your surgery.   Also, procedures such as ROSE are not proven to be effective.  I've never heard of one success with it.

Even though I had a revision I would never had had one just because I regained weight, which I did, 100 lbs.  I knew that no matter what surgery I had, unless I addressed my eating issues then I would just outeat any surgery I had.  I had my revision for other issues but I decided that since I had to go through major surgery again I may as well figure out why I failed so badly and do it differently.

You may simply have not gotten the most effective surgery for yourself.  You may do better with a DS which has more malabsorption and works well for people who are metabolically challenged and don't generally have issues with simple carbs, which are absorbed 100% with any WLS.  If that is your problem it isn't likely that WLS is going to fix that.  You need to work on that before you think about a revision.  In the meantime you may want to see your surgeon about being evaluated to see if your surgery is intact and what, if anything, he my recommend as far as a revision.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

MsBatt
on 5/8/13 12:31 am

The ROSE procedure is an attempt to scarify the stoma, and doesn't seem to work very well. Adding a LapBand (BOB) is a completely different procedure. While it has worked well for some people, the Band is NOT intended to last a lifetime, so---you can count on having another surgery in the future.

Before you do ANYTHING, research your other options, such as the Sleeve and the DS.

Most Active