revision surgery and weight loss

Amber1981
on 5/1/13 4:26 am - Fairfield, IA

I had an Open RNY in 2001 and went from 366.6 to 134.8 and maintained till 2011 when I got pregnant (due to lots of hormones) for the 2nd time since my RNY.  Due to the hormones and pregnancy I gained 98lb in 2 years and am stuck.  Due to the long duration of hormones, my stoma dialated and I will be having a "revision" this Friday to correct it.  I say "revision" because he doesn't have to go and re-do every thing he did 12 years ago.  All we will be doing is using a cadavar tendon to make and KEEP my stoma 1.5cm.  At this time, food just passes right thru my stomach to the intestine without pause.

For me (not for everyone) my inital RNY was VERY successful and both my Dr and I feel that this "revision" will get me back to where I was and stayed for so long.

I hope this is helpful information.  I know people who have had a terrible time with their RNY and I also know other, like myself that have had no problems to speak of.

Best of luck to you

Amber

lsmith2004
on 5/12/13 3:22 am - Tomball, TX
Good Luck you did great the first time n will do great the second time around
cniccolemoore
on 5/12/13 6:36 am

Amber,

I am in a similar boat...  I had a hand-assisted Laparoscopic RNY in 2002, lost about 100 lbs, kept it off until about 2 years ago when WHAM! it all came back.  My new surgeon said that he can increase the bypass of my intestines, re-trim my pouch, and make my stoma smaller as well using the same method you mentioned.  I'm so nervous!  This time around it's going to be open...  he said I'd have drains, and be out a bit longer.  I'm so interested to hear how you's goes and how you do!  I'm hoping to get mine scheduled for late June or early July.  Keep us updated if you don't mind!!

Blessings,

Niccole

pineview01
on 6/12/13 8:51 am - Davison, MI

I am 4.5 months our from a band to sleeve revision surgery.  Including the 2 week pre-op diet I am down 48 pounds.  That puts me 20 below what I got with the band.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active