gastric fistula & revision?

illinois Gama D.
on 4/23/13 11:38 am

I am 10 years post RNY, I am  having EGD tomorrow, Dr. feels it is a fistula and i am wondering how many have had this and if it resulted in a revision? if not what was the treatment? thank you Denise

Rny 2003

come join the new R&R 3.0, where the fun is:)

Hislady
on 4/23/13 1:45 pm - Vancouver, WA

You might want to cross post this to the RNY forum too since we don't get alot of action over here sometimes. Hope all works out well for you!

kemerson
on 4/27/13 8:54 am

I was released from the hospital today for a revision to fix a fistula.  From what I understand there are basically two scenarios. The first is that they go in, snip it, close it, and you get out of the hospital pretty quickly. The second scenario is more complicated where the fistula is hard to get to. Mine was scenario 2. My fistula was underneath my stomach. It wasn't easy to get to and the surgeon removed about 20% of my old stomach to get to the fistula so that it could be fixed. My surgery was Tuesday and I was released today. I'm doing fine. Just sore and back to the liquid diet that I was on after the original surgery - pudding, protein shakes, jello, popsicles.

Best wishes.

Karen

jessica892
on 5/1/13 3:26 am - Poplar Bluff, MO

I am 11 years post RNY. I had an upper GI on Friday and a EGD yesterday. Surgeon came in and said that my stomach's fistula was so big that it was like I had never had the Gastric Bypass! I'm going to start requesting an Upper GI or EGD every two years to look for this! My option is a complete do over/revision. I still have to meet with the doc in three weeks but he did say their was a way around the insurance by calling it a diversion but I'm not sure what he means. I'll keep ya'll posted. Good luck.

bb30046
on 5/6/13 12:59 pm - GA

Hello- thought I would reply to you regarding the fistula. I had hernia and a gastric fistula repair 4/15/13. My surgeon went in and just closed off the section that was open and then repaired the hernia on the way out. He encountered a lot of scar tissue and my surgery was supposed to be 1.5 hours turned into almost 3. I also had to get blood during my surgery and have another blood transfusion two days after the surgery. Went in on a Monday and I didn't leave the hospital until Friday afternoon. It has been about 3 weeks and I am actually feeling good. My incision is pretty much sealed except for a small bit on the top of my cut. I hope I do not have to go through this again. My insurance does not cover any weight loss surgery so I am not sure how he coded this. I have lost 20 lbs. Good luck to you!!- Beth

Most Active