revision...band of 10 yrs to vsg

tia47
on 3/23/13 6:22 am - cleve, OH
Hello everyone,
My name is Tia, 47, Cleve, Ohio.
I'm going in for revision to sleeve on April 8 with Dr Craig Eyman, Bariatric Center at Parma Hosp.
Dr E has no qualms or concerns doing both in one surgery. He did say it would take longer. I'm getting conflicting opinions on the boards re one surgery vs 2. Can I please hear from anybody who's had it done in one...pos or neg? Also,how liong did tyour surgery last? Q

Disregard typos...it's my dumb smart phone and operator error.

T
Hislady
on 3/23/13 1:26 pm - Vancouver, WA

You might post this on the sleeve forum for more responses.

band2sleeverevision
on 3/27/13 2:06 am
VSG on 02/25/13

Hi Tia,

I had two surgeries but even then the sleeve 2nd operation took longer than is typical for a sleeve. Generally my surgeon does a sleeve in a little over an hour, mine took a little more than 2 hours.

My surgeon removed my band and waited 90 days to heal before doing the sleeve.  I too had my band for 10 years.

I had significant scarring where the band was placed so he had to be extra careful when he stapled across that line and cut. 

If you're feeling uncomfortable, ask your surgeon about the incidence of leaks and whether he's seen more with the revision?  If the answer is yes and it's significant (i.e. jumping from 1% to 5%), then I might ask to have it done in two procedures.  If he's not seeing leaks, I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, remember your insurance plays in here as well....

Happy Gurl
on 3/27/13 8:56 am
VSG on 10/26/12

Mine did it all at once.  I can't think of anything negative that happened.  They did look at my band ahead of time for slippage, and he didn't see any major damage from the band - so that's probably why he proceeded with one surgery.  I literally had my surgery on Friday, back to my desk job on Monday (was out of sick time).

HW: 390, HbandW: 340, LbandW:237,

HsleeveW: on 10/27/12:270, CW: 167:) GW: 175 :))))

M1:22, M2:16, M3:10, M4:9, M5:8, M6: 9, M7: 8, M8: 6, M9: 3, M10: 4

(deactivated member)
on 3/28/13 1:07 pm - Springfield, IL
Revision on 03/04/13

I didnt have the sleeve but I went from band to rny in one surgery.  I was told it would be possible they would have to do two.  It depended on how much scar tissue was caused from the band and unfortunately there is no way to tell until they get in there.

meliss0725
on 3/28/13 3:24 pm - Plainfield, IL

Hi Tia, I was banded 10 years ago also and am looking to revise to sleeve. The one thing I really wanted was an endoscopy to see what the damage inside might be. I have terrible earth urn and pain and I just hope that I am ok inside. I asked my surgeon to please guarantee me that he would NOT revise if there was any question about the health of the tissue in there. My words, just because you CAN revise does not mean you SHOULD. Please do not put your ego before my health. He said it was a game-day decision and he would not proceed if there was any question. 

pineview01
on 3/31/13 2:44 pm - Davison, MI

I had mine in two.  I wasn't happy at the time.  But, I have seen here that most of the problem people do have is when they have it done in one.  One thing is no matter how great of shape the stomach is in with the band, if they pulled the stomach over the band and stitch (to lessen slips) it makes a permanent "hook"  The band also tightens the stomach where the band was.  When the do the surgery in one this area can be thinner and increase the chance of leaks.  It can also "shrink" back after surgery for the sleeve and cause a stricture later.  My surgeon like to the the scaring "soften" be for sleeving.  One surgeon recommended waiting at least 2 month but, the one that did mine wants you to wait 4-6 months for the stomach to heal and settle down.

My sleeve took 45 minutes longer than a virgin as he had to "straighten it up first."  The people hear that posted problems that I have read about had all in one.  But, not all those with all in one had problems.

Good luck

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Shayne P.
on 4/7/13 5:37 am - sachse, TX
VSG on 03/28/13

Hi Tia

I had my band for 7 years before I decided that the throwing up, food not going down was enough for me to get it removed. That was in 2011. Benefits didnt cover bariatric services so I had to wait till this yr to get the sleeve. I was sleeved March 28. I had an upper gi done prior to the sleeve and my stomach was back to its normal shape. Surgery went well and I am on the road to recovery. I am noticing my weight loss is SLOW....but than again I was at a 38 BMI when I started. So as of today I have lost 11 lbs since surgery. I am still on the liquid diet but my dr allows for grits, oatmeal, and cottage cheese. So actually I feel like I am eating enough...Every so often I could really use some meat....but...that has to wait. I cant say going from the band to sleeve is worth it yet. I think we are at a advantage though...we already know to sip, eat slow...and do alot of what the newbies have to learn to do. I noticed with the sleeve..it was freaky to take my first drink...I was swollen pretty good. But at about 4 days out...I could tell the swelling was gone cuz I can drink alot more and my intake isnt making me full. One thing- I am starving alllllll the time. When I do eat, my stomach is growling and making all sorts of noises ....different from the band. Am curious to see how food is gonna feel...real food....but so far...so good...I do feel sick if I drink to fast...

Most Active