Sleeve to RNY?

Artsong
on 3/14/13 5:16 am
VSG on 09/26/12

Ok so my sleeve don't  work I'm not happy about that in my 6 months I have lost only 36 lbs. I watch what I eat workout 5 days a week. I have had ever test that would need to be done done lol. My Doc tost the words at me Sleeve to RNY o.O So wow now what how would the RNY help I eat so little as is and work out hard so how would that help at all. The Doc dose not want to do the DS I don't know anything about the DS I never signed up for this lol. So anyone that has had the Sleeve to RNY but was not losing weight on the sleeve but is now doing well with the RNY Shoot me some info if you would be so kind :)  I don't need any trash talking going on if you don't mind I payed 25k for the sleeve so I'm in the dumps over that as is and the might have to dish out 35k for the RNY hurts  as much so if you can't be nice then just walk away TY :)

clpeltz
on 3/14/13 10:12 am

You need to do your research and go to dsfacts.com and learn about the DS.  The ONLY logical revision from the Sleeve is the DS.  IMO any other revision of the Sleeve is ludicrous!  Statistics show that results from Sleeve and RNY are basically the same after 5 years.  If you are following the food plan and doing everything else you are supposed to be doing and are having trouble losing weight...you most likely need the malabsorption the the DS can provide.  You will not be any happier with the RNY.

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

Hislady
on 3/14/13 12:45 pm - Vancouver, WA

I completely agree, the sleeve is the first part of the DS so it makes absolutely no sense to go RNY. Plus with the RNY you lose the malabsorbtive aspect after 12-18 mos. with the DS it's my understanding that it continues forever. Perhaps your surgeon doesn't feel qualified to do the DS, there aren't alot of qualified surgeons that do the revisions. Do ask on the DS forum and go to dsfacts.com you need to make an informed choice.

michelle M.
on 3/14/13 11:13 pm - oakdale, PA
RNY on 01/17/13

I had a revision done on January 17th from a failed stomach stapling (1994) to a RNY.  I asked about getting a DS, but my doctor said that wasn't appropriate for me.  Well, i wish i would have found this site before getting surgery.  I would highly suggest you go with the DS.  I am losing about 8 lbs per month and the slowness is driving me crazy.  They said it was normal to lose weight slowly after a revision.  From what i know now i would have gone with the DS.  I can't take any OTC pain meds, I can't eat meat very well and i still have the head hunger that i am fighting.  I am not saying that i am not doing well, but after all that i have learned from this website i would absolutely go with the DS....if it were me.  Please look for the best surgeon  and travel if you need to.  My surgeon is excellent in revisions but doesn't do the DS and did not serve me well by not going into detail about the ds surgery.  I know that if i am having trouble 8 weeks out with head cravings in 12 to 18 months i will really have a problem if I don't overcome this issue now.  With a DS i don't think that stinking craving hormone comes back and you will have a easier time.

Just my thougts...and good luck.

Michelle

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 3/15/13 9:34 am

What you have is already a superior surgery to RNY, and the first half the what it she best surgery. Having that sleeve mutilated into a pouch would be a DOWNGRADE!!!

Usually, people need a real DS revision surgeon to revise to the DS, but considering you have half of it, they only need to do the intestinal part, it may be possible to talk to any DS surgeon, and they are way more plentiful. Find the list posted by SmileyJaimie here on the revision board, and find one nearest you. 

If you are self paying, I would think having the rest of the DS done may also be the cheapest option (as well at the most successful). You'd still have most of the associated fees, but certainly a shorter surgery time since they only have half left to do. It's worth asking about.

Artsong
on 3/26/13 9:30 am
VSG on 09/26/12

I have looked and looked at the list all the Docs in ohio do not take self pay for the DS. I will be going RNY I will not go outside the US to have things done. So looks like its RNY for me thats is better then nothing ;)

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 3/26/13 10:31 am

I didn't say anything about going outside the US, but know of a good surgeon in Dayton. Doesn'tt look like you read anyones advice, but I wish you luck with your RNY.

MsBatt
on 3/29/13 9:00 am

Most people who get a DS do have to travel for it. Believe me, a little inconvenience now beats getting the wrong surgery, again.

Whit
on 3/29/13 6:57 am
Revision on 12/10/12

Hi there,

I do not see nastiness just people who have been there and want the best for you. RNY does work for some people. I unfortunately was not one of them. If you are self pay can you go to Keshishian or Stewart or even out of the country? They would probably be about the same or even less and you will have a "tool" that actually works.  

Whatever you decide I wish you the best.

Whitney

Revision from RNY to DS 12/10/12 Dr. Ara Kesishian BMI: 19

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Most Active