Has anyone had a revision from VSG to RNY with Dr. Lana Nelson, OK?

Virgie Tschirhart
on 2/23/13 9:28 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17

At first I wanted the DS since I already have the Sleeve.  However the doctor that does the DS said that my BMI was too low. 

Now, I'm waiting from the Dr. Nelson's office for them to tell me if I was approved or not for the RNY.  There should not be a problem because my BMI is 35.  I hate waiting!  

Virgie Tschirhart

Lap Band - 2008, Sleeve - 2009, RYN - 2017

Started Program Weight July 13, 2017 - 194.2

Before Surgery Weight December 27, 2017 - 185.0

Current Weight - February 2018 - 161.0

MsBatt
on 2/24/13 7:05 am

A BMI of 35 may be too low for that particular surgeon, but it's not too low for the DS. We have a lot of DSers who had a BMI of around 35, and they're all doing very well. I'd get a different surgeon and have the surgery I really wanted. (And I paid out of pocket in order to get the DS instead of the 'free' RNY I could have gotten without traveling.)

Hislady
on 2/24/13 7:22 am - Vancouver, WA

That's crazy not to do the DS because you have a lower BMI, it can be done at most any weight. If you really want the DS find another doc that can do that revision, it is a far better and life long effective surgery. The RNY is only effective for the first couple of years then you lose the malabsorbtion part, your body then starts to absorb calories again which is why so many RNYer tend to regain after a couple of years. Also the revision to RNY is more difficult than to DS. I bet if you asked on the DS forum they could point you to a doc who would do the revision to DS.

beanybaby
on 2/24/13 8:28 am

You're being sold a load. The surgery requirements are identical for DS and RNY (and the sleeve for that matter).

You don't have a real DS surgeon, and I've heard a zillion reasons they try to make the RNY sound better when that is all they have to sell, but it would be beyond stupid to downgrade that sleeve to a RNY.  If you need to add malabsorption, the DS is the only thing that makes sense. 

pineview01
on 2/24/13 11:53 am - Davison, MI

Don't settle!  If you have the sleeve hold out for the DS.  Fight for what you want.  A rny after a sleeve would be the worst of both.  That is all our center offers too.  I would go to Mexico for the DS after sleeve than let my insurance pay for a rny after a sleeve.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Virgie Tschirhart
on 2/24/13 8:31 pm - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17

Maybe I have to call the Dr. Steward's office again.  Trevor (new patient coordinator) might have misunderstood me.  He did not sound clear on my co-morbidities, maybe he thought that I did not have any, idk.  Anyway, I will call them this morning. 

Thanks for chiming in my DS lovers!

Virgie Tschirhart

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/25/13 5:22 am

What they said. Glad you trying to get what you really want.   I have RNY and maintaining is rather tough...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Virgie Tschirhart
on 2/25/13 9:07 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17

Hi there H.a.I.a. B.

Yes, my first choice is the DS.  I have been hearing that RNY does not cut it as far as long lasting weight loss, short malabsorption.  I don't want any dumping either.  I have to see what happens which surgery I will end up with.  I did self pay for the VSG in 2009.  I don't want to self pay for the DS, not if my insurance will cover it.  

I called Dr. Steward's and spoke with a different person she said she was going to send the information in to BCBS Federal to see if they would cover the DS.  She said she should have an answer by Wednesday.  

H.a.l.a. B. thanks for chiming in and sharing your experience with the RNY.

Virgie Tschirhart

who knows
on 2/27/13 1:36 am

hi. i am in SE OKC so not far from you. i am about to make a call to dr, nelsons to see abuot consulting for a revision.  i am 12 yrs out on an RNY. I have read a lot about revising to th DS but am under the impression there isnt a dr in OK that does this......do you know of any? there is on in TX.  does steward do rny to ds?  thanks!

MsBatt
on 2/27/13 3:40 am

No, no docs in OK who do a true RNY-to-DS revision. Call Dr. Stewart's office in Denton, TX.

Most Active