Revision 6 years after band

(deactivated member)
on 2/19/13 10:24 am

I had a band for three years and had to have it out. I revised to the DS (whi*****ludes a sleeve) in December. I gotta say I LOVE having a sleeve compared to the band. Eating feels very natural, not at all like the band. It just feels like a regular stomach, only smaller. That is it and it feels WONDERFUL!

ButterflyAna
on 2/20/13 3:12 am - Gilbert, AZ
VSG on 03/04/13
I have had so many complications with the band. Constant excessive Vomiting, burping for hours and days at a time, acid reflux, passing out and three band surgeries. I am going to revise to the sleeve. I am really scared. I understand my band I know what to expect with it. I starve everyday stay around 800 to 900 calories but understand it. I lost my orginal 80lbs from day of surgery then it just stopped. I can not eat enough to lose the weight unless it is junk food. My Dr. said he has not met on patient that said I wish I would have stayed with the band. I hope it works out for you and you decide on the best surgery for you. My Dr. will not do the RNY because of my excessive scar tissue.

Good Luck

HW 360 Lap Band 4-15-08 (322)  Revision to Realize Band 11-15-11(249)  Revision to Sleeve 3-4-13 (249) CW 189

huntgirl1991
on 2/20/13 7:07 am, edited 2/20/13 7:14 am

After taking with 2 doctors I will be going with the RNY and not the sleeve they both said since I didn't do well with a restrictive only procedure I wouldn't do well with another one. And they both reccomended against the DS unless Its a last resort because of complications and side effects like chronic diaherra. I'm waiting for my GI to schedule my endoscopy and as long as the evil band it not eroded then ill be scheduling surgery! I'm hoping for May or June this year!

ButterflyAna
on 2/21/13 12:35 am - Gilbert, AZ
VSG on 03/04/13
Good Luck, but know even if you band is not eroded if it has spilled like mine was it can leave a lot of scar tissue which makes the RNY conversion very dangerous. My surgeon would not revise to the RNY because of the complication risks. I felt like what would the sleeve do that the band has not done but my surgeon thinks I will go on to lose another 50 pounds and then once my skin is removed I should be at goal.

Please let me know how things go for you. I will probably have my surgery next month the ins said they will fast track my skin removal as I will not have the wait the entire 18 months at the substained weight lose.

HW 360 Lap Band 4-15-08 (322)  Revision to Realize Band 11-15-11(249)  Revision to Sleeve 3-4-13 (249) CW 189

huntgirl1991
on 2/21/13 12:57 am

Your band spilled? 

ButterflyAna
on 2/21/13 7:45 am - Gilbert, AZ
VSG on 03/04/13
Sorry it slipped I was typing too fast or my mind was in la la land. My band was slipped for almost a year so my Dr. removed it and replaced the lap band with a realize band. Then the port flipped so he went back in and fixed that. I think it is flipped again but we do not have proof that is just because he can not find the port for a fill or unfill. He could see that I had extensive scar tissue from the slip, and said the RNY would be too dangerous to perform.
I hope that helps to clear things up.
Let us know how things go for you.

huntgirl1991
on 2/21/13 1:08 pm

Wow you have really had some complications I'm sorry it has been so tough for you! How did they discover the scar tissue? A endoscopy? I have a endoscopy scheduled for Wednesday the 27th I'm hoping for good news!

Most Active