Stomaphyx - can it be done again?

tina01
on 2/4/13 4:51 am - Wilmington, DE

I'm having hard time finding this info on the web.  I had the stomaphyx 5 yrs ago and had great results.  Due to other issues, my pouch and stoma are too big again (have gained 25#), and I'm wondering if I can have the stomaphyx done again.  Unfortunately, I had Dr. William T. Overcash in Florida prerform mine, and I'm learning today that he may be out of the 'doctoring' business.  

Thanks to everyone.

Zee Starrlite
on 2/5/13 1:42 am

What were your great results? 

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

tina01
on 2/5/13 1:58 am - Wilmington, DE

I had lost the 45# that I had gained.  Of course with exercise and the regular tools we are supposed to use.  I had it done because my stoma and pouch were 3 times what they should have been.

tina01
on 2/5/13 2:01 am - Wilmington, DE

I should add that I am in the midst of getting CT scans and EGD's done again.  I have pain, sometimes stabbing in my upper left abdomen.  No one will speculate, but I think it's the stomphyx.

Zee Starrlite
on 2/5/13 3:17 am

Hmmm.  Why don't you bite the bullet and get revised to the duodenal switch.  You know ROSE, Stomphyx etc. have all had very poor results.  Or if you are no****ching your intake and exercise, do that first.

I wish you the very best.

Layla

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

tina01
on 2/6/13 11:57 pm - Wilmington, DE

Hi,

Thanks for your note.  I'd like to read your profile.  You seem to have done very well and I could use the reinforcement.

How do I get to view it?  (things have changed on this site since I've been here :)

Thanks

beanybaby
on 2/5/13 11:28 am

There's always a surgeon willing to take money for anything you want done, but I'm unclear on why you want it again. Is this something you want to do every few years?

The data on the stomaphyx and rose haven't been good, and there are revisions to more effective surgeries like the DS now, but you'd have to talk to one of the actual revision surgeons (like Rabkin or Kesheshian) to see if they can do anything with a stomach that has had stomaphyx.

tina01
on 2/6/13 9:44 pm - Wilmington, DE

hi,

Thanks for your reply, and he!! no, i'm not looking to do it every few years.  I'm back to feeling how I did before I got it done.  Hungry 2 hours after eating,  never feeling very full, and putting on weight ... 22lbs since Oct.   So I know something is wrong.  To make it worse, I had a massage hernia repair a year ago and have a 15" screen in my abdomen.  I'm so afraid that I'm screwed.  They will not be able to do anything for me and i'm destined to be obese.  I will have to look into the DS, will ask my surgeon after the CT scan.

Have a great day, and thanks for your input.  BTW, i'd love to read your profile.  It appears you have done very well.  Good for your !

~t

Most Active