2 yrs post revision, band to bypass, then a panni removal

terilynn112
on 1/23/13 12:54 am - maryland, NY
I'm 2 yrs post my revision surgery (officially 1-11-13). I've been sick so I haven't written.

In the last two years I've lost over 100 pounds. Some days it's 103, some days it's 113. I'll take either. My personal goal was to get under 200 pounds with the band, I gained weight. I'd get adjustments, it'd slip, they'd empty it. I would gain. With the bypass there is none of that up and down. I have had some minor bumps in the road. I have had a couple hernias repaired. Questionable if they were related to the RNY or my weight, or my lifestyle of lifting on my 7 yr old almost 50 pound son with Cerebral palsy. It was because of that, we got my panni removal/tummy tuck approved and paid for by my insurance 100%. I lost 10.5 pounds of skin that day. They tightened the muscles in my stomach, and fixed a second set of hernias. I have had a new occurance of kidney stones, which I've learned are something that we can get because of the dehydration that RNY'ers sometimes have. Also for the vitamins we have to take. But I know they are also in my family history, which makes me prone to them. Wouldn't wish them on anyone.

I suffer chronic nausea. I take a pill when it's to bad. Otherwise I work with it. I seriously regret absolutely nothing about my gastric bypass, rny surgery. It's been the best choice of my life.

With the negatives state.... this is what I've gained : The ability to care for my sons the way they deserve. I've gained the ability to care for my elderly parents, the way they deserve as well. I've gotten rid of diabetes, sleep apnea, and boarderline high blood pressure. Now I run low. I've learned to like exercise. I don't love it, but I enjoy it once I start. I'm NEVER physically hungry. I get head hungry, but that's my brain. They did stomach surgery not brain surgery.

I love my revision!

teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

Songs From The
Heart B W

on 1/23/13 5:21 am - CA
RNY on 07/16/12
This is absolutely awesome to hear. I also had lap band surgery in 06' then removed in 11' after slippage. I did lose a total of 130 lbs. was very happy! Then came the weight gain with loss of the band and death of my mother. I had revision surgery to RNY 7/12 and have found the weight loss very slow. Is this normal? I seemed to lose so much quicker with the band. I realize I have less to lose now but it's so frustrating! I started at 250 and am now down to 197 with about 40 more I'd like to lose. Does this sound like reasonable weight loss?
Songs From The Heart
247/239/155

leelee76
on 1/27/13 11:58 am

I have also had a band to RNY revision (12/12/12) and am finding the weight loss to be extremely slow.  I knew it would be slower but wasn't quiet expecting this slow.  I have only lost 3lbs in the last 20 days and down a total of 21 since surgery.  I really hope it picks up a bit because to only lose 3lbs in 20 days is worse than any regular diet I could be on.  I am following all the rules, from measuring everything and tracking everything to working out every day. 

Any advice or suggestions are always welcome

pineview01
on 1/28/13 8:23 am - Davison, MI

All my reading says revisions are slower than virgin surgeries.  I'm about to find out.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

LThomas967
on 1/28/13 9:16 am

I was revised from lap band to bypass in September 2012. I had the band just shy of 3 years. I was doing very well with it until I had a complete hysterectomy, then my body started rejecting the band. My doc did the revision and I feel great!! I must say that I thought the weight would fall off (like others), it has not. It has been very VERY slow and I have to work at it. I have lost a total of 37 lbs (most of it the first month following the revision and some pre-op). I worry with the weight loss slowing down that I wont get to goal - it's only been 4 1/2 months since the revision. My doc said you have a honeymoon period for about 18 months so I am hoping between that and working at getting to goal, it will happen. I also found I don't have the restriction I had with the band, it's a different full feeling now. Do any of you find you can eat more than you could with the band? Also, do you find you are able to eat more than other bypass patients? It is definitely a slow process for me! For those with a revision, any encouragement is much appreciated, I want to know that this was not for nothing! I want to get to my goal!! Thanks!!

pineview01
on 1/28/13 8:21 am - Davison, MI

Congratulations and where are the photos?

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

terilynn112
on 1/28/13 11:22 pm - maryland, NY
In my profile. I'm working on getting them here, as they are giving me a hard time

Teri

pineview01
on 1/29/13 6:48 am - Davison, MI

Very cool!  You ought to let the little guy take your photos for you so we can see all of you.  My grandson that age could do better than me.

terilynn112
on 1/29/13 8:39 pm - maryland, NY
I would, but he is very much disabled with Cerebral Palsy. He has very little use of his hands, and very few words. But he walks with a walker.

that was taken by an adult, his one on one aide a school

Teri

Most Active