frustration nation!!

JennDee
on 1/15/13 10:02 pm

So I had vsg in May 2011, still following eating plan rules, exercising 6 times a week (i love me some zumba!!!) and am as discipline  as I know how to be. I've lose about 85 pounds but I have began to gain. To slow down the gain I've even got more strict with my diet which has resulted in hunger and major frustration. So I went to see surgeon yesterday as my BMI is slowly but surely rising (around 33 right now). He says "watch calories and exercise more." WHAT?? then tells me that perhaps I'm exercising wrong. Look heres the thing I am still 70 plus pounds from my "ideal weight" which I don't need to reach but I don't want to be obese category for the rest of my life. I am struggling with just restriction but he said 33 bmi is not bad. No, it is not compared to my high 40's BMI preop and I am very grateful for that but am I really going to have to continue to barely eat, work out like a crazy person, be hungry and frustrated to maintain an obese weight and continue to gain??? What is the answer????? I didn't start this journey to be half way to goal or to remain an obese woman. I am praying I find some answers........

Jennie D.  

"Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly".

"If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got."

(deactivated member)
on 1/15/13 11:22 pm

Hi Jennie,

I'm so sorry you are struggling. I went through the same thing and it is ultra frustrating! When I had my band, I spent 3 years doing the small portions, lowfat everything and still never lost nearly as much weight as I needed to. Then I started to regain and added intensive gym workouts to try and reverse the gain, or at least stop gaining. No luck. It's hard, I know.

In December I revised to the DS and I gotta say, thus far I am very pleased to see that my small meals and excersise are finally paying off by a reduced # on the scale.  I wish you the best of luck on your journey!

thinlizzie12
on 1/15/13 11:43 pm - KS
DS on 01/24/13

Jenn Dee,

Like Beagles, I too will be a band revised to DS patient. My BMI is 40.5 and have lost 20lbs with the band. And it has been 6 years. The sleeve was the first procedure the surgeon brought up to me....I declined because I already know what restriction feels like. Its not the amount I put in my body....it has to do with my metabolism. That is why I am getting the DS. I know for most revisions they want us to be at least 2 years out. You almost are....maybe bring up DS with your doc? Good luck to you;)

JennDee
on 1/15/13 11:50 pm
I brought up the idea of a revision he said absolutely not at this stage. Maybe BMI 35-40. So...obviously I refuse to gain additional weight to reach that number. So I'm too "light" for a revision too "obsese" to be completely healthy. So sad

Jennie D.  

"If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got."

MsBatt
on 1/16/13 1:39 am

I'd get a second opinion.

clpeltz
on 1/16/13 12:54 am

I am sorry that you are struggling Jennie.  It can be very frustrating.  Have you considered a revision to DS?  A lot of us are metabolically challenged and require the malabsorption part of WLS to repair our broken metabolism.  For many Obese and Super Obese individuals, restriction alone is not going to get desired results (normal BMI). 

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

JennDee
on 1/16/13 1:53 am

clpetz...thank you for replying. you are so right. the restriction is not enough. i need the malabsorption part for sure and i have come to terms with this. however, at this point i am basically told i need a bmi above 35 to be even considered for a revision. my surgeon does not believe any discussion of revision is warrented at this point. i'm stuck in a weird place. struggling to find someone who may revise me before i get to 35....is this possible??

Jennie D.  

clpeltz
on 1/16/13 3:10 am

Then get another opinion.  He is not the only Dr available.  Visit http://www.dsfacts.com/North-American-Duodenal-Switch-Surgeons.html and you will find a listing of DS surgeons by state.  See who is closest to you and get in for a consultation.

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

smileyjamie72
on 1/16/13 11:22 am - Palmer, AK

Would you be paying cash or going through insurance?  Insurance is 35.  Also, visit the Lightweights board on this website.

Also, have you spoken with Dr. G's partner Fernando Boanni?

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

JennDee
on 1/16/13 10:20 pm

yes, i would be self pay as i was with my vsg surgery. dr. g said a ds is out of the question for me and i believe dr. b has the same thoughts. i understand that with a bmi of under 35 it may be a bit overkill but i'm willing to discuss options i.e. longer common channel etc. i have trouble grasping the idea that allowing me to gain weight again and have a bmi of over 35 is a better option then having a conservative ds surgery. dr. ungson in mexico has indicated that he would be willing to assist me but i fear that he may not do the ds and i only want the DS. HELP!! haha...im so frustrated.

i

Jennie D.  

Most Active