Calling all Band to Sleeve Revision people....need your advice

angdenise
on 1/2/13 11:41 pm - IN
VSG on 05/28/13

Hi,

I was banded in 2008 and lost 140 in 2 years.  I have since gained about 60lbs back due to several reasons.  My surgeon mentioned at my last appointment that he would consider me a good candidate for a revision to a sleeve.  I am seriously considering this as I am tired of the irritation complications of a band (stuck all the time and not able to eat healthy fibrous foods).

That said, those of you who had this revision could you share your experiences with me (good, bad, and ugly) so that I can make the best and most informed decision.  I really do not want a RNY because it scares me.  I started my journey at 370 and currently weigh 288.

wink~~~Angie~~~

**Revised to a Sleeve Gastrectomy 5/28/13

ceedott
on 1/3/13 4:27 am - PA

hello i'm in the process of trying to get the band removed bc of complications and i'm scared of the rny as well so i want to revise to sleeve but i'm not sure if my insurance will cover a revision

angdenise
on 1/3/13 4:35 am - IN
VSG on 05/28/13
I just sent an email to my insurance provider. I know mine covers the sleeve but not sure if they cover a 2nd bariatric surgery. So I'm trying to be proactive before I get too far in.

wink~~~Angie~~~

**Revised to a Sleeve Gastrectomy 5/28/13

(deactivated member)
on 1/3/13 6:52 am

I had a lot of problems with my band too -- had to come out. I have a sleeve as part of my DS. I had the band out and the DS done on Dec 13th and I gotta say, that was a big surgery, BUT I feel so surprisingly good -- actually better than when the band was first put in! I get that it's a YMMV thing but still I am very pleased. The weight is dropping off very quickly. A lot of that has to do with the intestinal rerouting -- I'm not sure how quickly it comes off with the sleeve.

I agree with you, I think the sleeve would be much better than the RNY. If I hadn't needed the malabsorption of the DS I wouldn't just done the sleeve myself. But I really looked at how quickly I was regaining and yet still eating lowfat/small portions and I realized the sleeve wouldn't really help me anymore than the band did.

But I wish you the best of luck with your revision and hope insurance pays for it too!

Mary Catherine
on 1/4/13 3:28 am
If you did not do that well with a band then another restriction only sounds like another way to disappoint yourself. It is the malabsorption that gets your weight off and keeps it off. It is nothing to be afraid of. At 5 years I still have plenty. Plus no hunger since surgery and only want tiny amounts of food. So glad I had RNY
pineview01
on 1/4/13 9:29 am, edited 1/5/13 1:22 am - Davison, MI

It sounds like you did great with just the restriction of the band!  Congratulations on kicking that band!  You sound like the perfect candidate for the sleeve.

When the band worked right the restriction was all I needed too.  What you are facing now is what so many of those of us with band do. 

It is a mechanical opening on a biological organ.  The stomach reacts to out side factors like stress and the band doesn't change with it.  If the stomach swells with the band staying the same you either need an unfill or risk the band eroding.  In my case (and many others here.) the stomach started to lay down scare tissue to protect it from the band.  My body totally encapsulated the port with it tipped inside.  Any work I did ripped at it and any time I got a fill they would pull my guts to tip it back to access it.

So many on the sleeve boards report the sleeve does what the band promised. 

If you did so well with the band you will kick butt with the sleeve.

ps both my Sister and DD got the sleeve, both were going to get the band until they saw what I went thru.  With the research I did one the surgeries both got the sleeve and both and kicking butt.  I can't wait to get mine on the 22nd.  Also if your need help down the road you can convert the sleeve to a DS for mal-absorption.  If you get the RNY it is a major rework to get the DS with very few surgeons capable of doing it.  The RNY is the only surgery I wouldn't get.  But, everyone has to figure out what is right for them.

Good Luck and pm if you'd like to talk.  Also check out the failed lap band and bsnd2sleeve groups.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

angdenise
on 1/8/13 9:03 pm - IN
VSG on 05/28/13
thinlizzie12
on 1/4/13 9:40 pm - KS
DS on 01/24/13

I think what pine meant was that you CAN revise the sleeve to the duodenal switch, since the sleeve is the first part of the switch.

The band doc I had (banded in 2007) stated I was a good candidate for the sleeve....thing is I never lost more than 20 lbs with my band...I need the malabsorbtion!!!! Best of luck to you;)

pineview01
on 1/5/13 1:27 am - Davison, MI

Yep!  Thanks for the heads up I fixed it!  I lost 60 before having issues and ending up at +3 pounds.  So I now restriction works.  If somewhere down the road it doesn't, I CAN get revised to a DS

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Shelly S.
on 1/8/13 5:32 pm - Stillwater, OK
VSG on 12/13/12

I had a band to sleeve revision on Dec. 13. My surgery was very easy for the most part. I had very little pain which surprised me. I was even sleeping on my side by night two. Went shopping the day I was discharged. One complication I did have was severe nausea. It took about a full day and a combination of three nausea medicines to get it under control. For this reason I had to spend three nights in the hospital. Right now I'm having trouble with being weak and really tired but I think that's because my stomach decided it could not handle protein drinks. One drink and back up they come. I have spent a small fortune trying different ones with no luck. Since I'm still limited on diet I'm only getting in around 300 calories a day and very little protein. I am seeing my surgeon today so hopefully we can come up with a solution. I am already so much happier with the sleeve. It's so nice not to have that uncomfortable feeling in your chest every time you eat or drink. And I've lost over 20 pounds already!

Shelly

Most Active