Band to bypass stories?

xxnikicolexx
on 12/18/12 5:29 am - Toms River, NJ

I just had my band out after having it for 4years and converted to the bypass.   I didn't choose the sleeve I decided to go all out and not have any regrets.  Over the last 4 years I have seen many people have different wls and also that was another reason why I choose rny.  My experience well..... the first day was the worst for me because I was so dizzy & nauseous I don't know if it was the gas in my stomach or the drugs they gave me to put me to sleep.  I am not gonna lie I still walked right away and did a lot of it. my belly was sore and felt very swollen but nothing I didn't expect.  day 2 I was a lot better I woke up during the night and every time I did I walked the halls.  I went for my upper GI that morning but couldn't hold the little sip of contrast down the gas from my stomach brought it right up and with blood with it.  I went back to my room and really wasn't feeling so well for the rest of that day.  I was stil very dizzy and nauseous so they kept me on 2 anti nauseas meds to help.  Day 3 was like a new beginning... I felt so much better my dr. Let me drink 2 tsp. of water an hr.and it was great.  Every hr I drank the Lil cup then walked the halls.  I expected the pain but it was well worth it.  Tomorrow will be 2 wks out I have no pain at all I have lost btwm18-20 lbs already.  I have been eating real food and Imcan get down about 2 oz a meal.  I try to do at least 4 oz of the protein shake and at least a bottle of water.  My dr said because of my band the amount I could hold was a Lil less until it stretches.  I am happy I haven got sick or anything but I am really taking it slow.  

LapBand 03/13/2008 Revision RNY 12/05/2012  

teachergirl
on 12/18/12 7:14 am - Somewhere in, MI

Wow, sorry about the bad experience ur first night! Thanks for sharing your experience, I'm picking up great tips as I go along! Good luck and continued weight loss to u!

Shawnie

Starting W: 325 Surgery W:307 Current W: 276.4 Goal W: 165  RNY: 1/17/2013

Ambelina
on 12/19/12 9:11 am - Salem, OR

Hi,

Did they take your lapband out and revise to bypass in the same procedure?  Or did you have to wait in between?

Highest 298; Pre-op: 279; PreOp BMI 41.  CW: 188 & Current BMI: 30!!!!! Thank you Lord for Dr Nair!!!
1st Goal 248;  2nd Goal 230 met!!!! 7/2010;  3rd Goal 215 - met 9/18/10!!!; 4th Goal 200 - 12/20/2010...  Surgeons goal met - I'd like to lose a litte more.  

xxnikicolexx
on 12/21/12 11:41 am - Toms River, NJ

I had it done in one procedure 

LapBand 03/13/2008 Revision RNY 12/05/2012  

bellen
on 12/18/12 2:03 pm
I have the band and my doc says the only suegery they recommend is the rny. I am 5 years out from the band jad 2 fills then my doc couldnt access the port. I have medicare now.
does anyone know if they will cover? I am pretty nervous about this surgery...i am iin my 5th month of dietitan assist so one more month and i guess ill know more about the insurance. I admire each and every one of u. I have been there its a fight for your life for happier and healthier years.
teachergirl
on 12/19/12 3:30 am - Somewhere in, MI

I can't answer your question, but good luck to you in your search.

Shawnie

Starting W: 325 Surgery W:307 Current W: 276.4 Goal W: 165  RNY: 1/17/2013

happygrandma
on 12/21/12 12:06 pm - Highland, MI
RNY on 12/17/12

I had mine done last Monday, lap band removed, hernia repaired and gastric bypass.  It wasn't an open procedure, don't think the two times is hard and fast - had my lap band laprascopically and my gallbladder too.

I didn't have a lot of nausea but have had gas and diarrhea, although not to the extent it's been a problem.  I was uncomfortable in the hospital, in pain yesterday.  Doctor said it was pain radiating from my esophagus which he tightened up to my left shoulder.  Kind of scared me but once I talked to him I felt much better.  Plus drugs are your friend, at least for the first couple of weeks.

I didn't do well with the lap band, lost about 50 pounds but gained back half,  Every time I had it tightened I would have major reflux or vomiting,  Got so I ate more "easy stuff" not healthy stuff.  Meat and veggies got stuck.

Anyway, I think you'll do fine.  I just plan to follow ALL the rules and not try to move things along to quickly while I heal.  I'm glad I didn't have to go through two surgeries.

saralynne65
on 12/24/12 3:07 pm, edited 12/24/12 3:19 pm
Revision on 01/23/13

Hi Happy Grandma,

I am having almost the exact same procedure 1/23/13-am a bit nervous since the surgeon now has to remove my band and repair my hiatal hernia again both front and back and then he will do the bypass. All in one shot and laparoscopically-yea! Had my band out in in 2007, lost initially about 40 lbs and gained half of it back. Within the past 6 months my band slipped so now  I am starting to freak since it's getting close and I know it will be a bit longer and more complicated than the lap band    .

I'm getting anxious to get it done though and all the questions are great. My concerns are just how crappy will I feel afterwards and for how long? I have to stay in patient for 2-3 days according to surgeon, they will do a leak test the first day post op and then I stay on clear liquids the first few  weeks and then can add powdered protein to the liquids a few more weeks before advancing to puree. It's all a bit more overwhelming this time than t was with the lap band  .

I worry. I'm going to be 48. Will I still be able to revoer as nicely as I did for my lapband, apendectomy and gallbladder? All three were pretty good recoveries. I wondered why he makes his patients stay in the hospital 2-4 days? If it just because of the bowel rerouting? I mean that makes sense, but you know. I want to go home and feel well asap. How crappy will I feel and for how long? That's what I'm wondering? Should I take out some extra life insurance in case something goes wrong?

I am mentally prepared for it ad ready to get past this and on with losing the weight and getting rid of the gerd will be awesome!

Just a  little more frightened. I think there is more risk involved in this surgery. I am very happy my surgeon feels confident he can do it Lap vs. Open. I am looking forward to not being hungry all the time and not shopping in the fat womans department. Most importantly I am looking forward to felling WELL again. I want to be feeling great at my sons wedding this fall. It's time for me to do this and get off these blood pressure meds. I'm ready-just a little frightened of recovery. Your posts help me a lot to know what to expect. My husband and I are going on our first cruise in mid March and I want to be feeling good  by then!

Thank you kindly and I hope you are all having a wonderful holiday!

Saralynne

happygrandma
on 12/24/12 11:35 pm - Highland, MI
RNY on 12/17/12

Boy, I could have written that.  We do need to keep in touch.  I'm older than you (60) and I feel that it;s slower than my lap band (2005).  I've always had very easy recoveries (gall bladder and two knee replacements) too.  This has not been easy, maybe more so because it's longer.  I stayed in the hospital two nights.  It was enough for me.  I couldn't sleep and I couldn't get comfortable.  I have good days and bad days and pity party days,  Last night was my first uncomfortable night, woke up about 4 with pain.  Finally got up and took pain meds and finally went back to sleep.  The major pain that I'm having is from the hernia and esophagus repair.  The doctor told me it would be sore because he had to tighten the esophagus.  It actually radiates to my left shoulder and that's where my pain is.  Kinda scared me at first until I called him.  Otherwise things are tight and sore but not cutting pain.  I just have no energy or interest in anything (someone mentioned a few weeks of "anesthesia brain".  Sounds logical, I can't concentrate on much.

I do taxes for a living so my plan is 100% by the end of January.  This next week I need to start pushing a little, at least get out of the house and start walking a little.  I was going to do that this week, then it snowed and our road iced up.  Didn't want to take a chance that I'd have to walk up our hill so I stayed put.

The surgery is probably a little riskier than the gall bladder as far as leaks go but all surgery is serious.  Hang in there, the waiting is the worst.  What kind of pre-op diet do you have to do?  

If you are a Christian, have a wonderful Christmas and put this out of your mind for one day (right).

Linda

saralynne65
on 12/26/12 12:12 pm
Revision on 01/23/13

Hi Linda,

Thanks for sharing your experience :0) I hope you had a lovely Christmas as well. I am in AL with my husband visiting my parents, son & his fiance' and my husband is building a wheelchair ramp for my stepdad who is starting a long recovery process this week. We had a nice holiday and I'm grateful my stepdad is starting feel better.

I'm getting more anxious by the day about this but trying to stay chill. It's tough not to dwell about it. I've read some other posts about a few patients having trouble with hypoglycemia after rny which concerns me because I'm hypoglycemic at times myself-however mostly after eating something ridiculously bad that I shouldn't like sugary cereal or a pastry. I read and read about experiences of others and worst possible outcome situations and then second guess myself. I have researched the sleeve/ds option but I know the DS option is not for me. I do not want to deal with all the bowel issues.

My surgeon assures me he preserves the vagus nerve which is supposed to help with the dumping syndrome. All in all I am as comfortable with my choice as I can be-but the OCD part of me plays the "what-if" game. I  have toyed with having the band removed, the hiatal hernia repair and not doing any further WLS. I have so many obese diabetics in my family though I'm afraid I'd never get a handle on it and e in worse shape in a year. My husband did tell me at the pre-op class that many of the other patients looked in much worse physical condition than I did and if they could get through it I could too. He is so supportive and he couldn't care less what I weigh ever, he just wants me healthy and feeling good about myself.

Funny you mention the left shoulder pain-I hope that is improving for you! I had pretty severe referred left shoulder pain after my hiatal hernia repair/lapband placement and it was intense the first few weeks (I was scared too at first!) and lasted a total of 4-5 weeks. At first I thought I was having a heart attack. I remember the crying jags with the lapband (esp when my mom made everyone a big batch of fried chicken while I was having liquids)  but at the time I had a house full of teenage boys, a grown stepson with a grandchild and his GF living with us & I was beginning menopause. It was a madhouse-If my mother wasn't there I probably would have murdered them all! I'm hoping for a quieter, gentler recovery this time.

I'll have 4 weeks off work to recover but am hoping to feel ok by the  beginning of week 3 so I can catch up with stuff around the house. Ambitious huh?

Pre-op diet for me is 1000 cal a week before with clear liquids 1 day before along with a nice thorough bowel prep. When I had the lapband my mother came and helped around the house for a week but that's not an option this time. My husband will be there and I have a friend that will come if I need her too. Though I am so happy to have found you here and you live not to far away from me too-I'm in Waterford.

Anyway, enough about me! How are you feeling today? Are you noticing improvement in your shoulder pain? How long did your surgeon require you to stay on clear liquids afterwards?

Big Hugs & I can't thank you enough for reaching out and sharing with me!

~Saralynne

Most Active