Band to RNY revision questions

lorishad
on 12/14/12 4:05 am - GA

My lap band has slipped and I am facing surgery to take it out next month. The surgeon said I can either do a sleeve or RNY. I am leaning toward RNY. A sleeve seems to me to be a surgical band and I haven't done great with mine even before the current complications. I am a type II diabetic who is well controlled. My last A1c was 5.1. But I am told I have a greater chance of being cured from my diabeties with an RNY.

My husband had an RNY 8 years ago and has done great so I am familiar with the procedure and diet. Just wondering how others have done. What is the recovery time? Has your weightloss continued? Any tips for a successful revision?

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcL99H7/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wcL99H7/weight.png[/img]
[/url]

MsBatt
on 12/14/12 5:30 am

I've not seen any stats for remission of diabetes with the Sleeve, but it is considered a metabolically-active procedure, due to the removal of stomach tissue. About 83% of diabetics who get the RNY achieve remission, but a recent study indicates that remission might not be permanent. And there's the DS---better than 98% of diabetics who get the DS achieve remission, and so far, it does seem to be permanent. So if achieving remission of your diabetes is your primary goal, you really should be looking at the DS. (The DS has proven so very effective in treating diabetes that surgeons in Europe have been doing the intestinal portion of the DS on non-obese diabetics!)

Another consideration is that with the RNY, you lose your pylorus. This is the reason for dumping syndrome, and seems to be highly implicated in the development of reactive hypoglycemia a few years down the road. The Sleeve preserves the pylorus (as does the DS) and all normal stomach function. It also allows you to still take NSAIDs, which can be a really big deal.

Hislady
on 12/14/12 7:26 am - Vancouver, WA

From what I have read the sleeve and RNY have a pretty equal rate of curing diabetes and the sleeve is a whole different creature than the band. Everyone I know who had a band and revised to the sleeve have lost weight. I like the sleeve because it doesn't leave a blind stomach where ulcers can develop and you keep your pyloric valve which is what keeps food from in the stomach before emptying into the intestines. Pf curse it is up to you and either are good the sleeve is just my preference. Good luck whatever you decide.

Sherrie P.
on 12/14/12 10:27 am
RNY on 02/06/13

I am revising to RNY because I thought the sleeve might just be band part 2... I just really want to incorporate the malabsorption into the mix this time.  I like the fact the sleeve has no issues with vitamins or some of the other issues of RNY.  I had decided that if insurance denied my revision to RNY again, I was going to self pay for the sleeve.  

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

TamaraL
on 12/16/12 12:19 am

i am revision lap band to rny.  I did not want the sleeve and my doctor would not even consider the sleeve because of my heart burn being so bad.

THe RNY can help with the diabetes but i have read with some studies that the diabetes can come back. 

i have the opposite problem.  I have had hypoglycemia since i was in high school. the rny had made it worse so i have to really watch what i am eating.

i have done really well with the eating. i had surgery on friday and on monday was walking at mall and walking long distances.  i lost weight up to about 1 year then it stopped.  i think i lost maybe 3 more pounds the whole year.  i have regained about 10 pounds but it is totally my own fault and i know better.

My biggest advise to anyone is to follow the diet plan exactly as dr/dietician has it and go thru the stages just like everybody else.  Don't push the foods.  Try to lose as much as possible the first 6 months because that is your honeymoon phase.  Exercise as soon as you can.

dont be a scale hog.  you will lose much slower with the revision and may have sudden stalls.  i think because i went in to the revision knowing that we all have stalls and not to freak, i did not freak if i stalled.

Tamara

Most Active