ROSE PROCEDURE HELP

duranfan71
on 12/7/12 10:44 pm

Hi I am scheduled for a ROSE procedure on 12/17. Anyone out there have one done? what was your experience? I had RNY in 2006 and regained 50lbs. devil ​My stoma stretched so they are going to fix it  angry

heathercross
on 12/8/12 12:43 am - New York, NY

I suggest you seriously re-think your decision.  i am sorry to burst your ballon, so to speak, but, its a FACT that the rose doens't work. I have read nothing positive about the procedure nor have I met or spoke with anyone who lost anything after the initial procedure.  Based on the fact that your stoma has enlarged, you should investigate a revision to your RNY to another RNY or something else.  Don't do a ROSE just to have a 3rd surgery in 6 to 18 mos.  

I had an RNY in 2002, I went from 3015 to 175 and back up to 250. I had a BOB last June (2012) and I am down at 170. I love my band. Now, I won't tell you a BOB will work for you bc you have an enlarged stoma and I have a fully intact stoma and an enlarged pouch. But, what I do know is the ROSE won't work and you will be heavier than you are now and miserable and exploring a 3rd revision.  Investigate the BOB, a revised RNY, a sleeve or the DS.  Don't pick something that has little or no success rate and isn't even "real WLS".  Plus, now that most insurance companies have instituted a "1 WLS per lifetime" don't waste your revision on the ROSE.

Whit
on 12/8/12 10:21 am
Revision on 12/10/12

I had RNY surgery 10.5 years ago. I never really lost all of my weight but I felt good. Size 14'ish for about a year then on came the weight. Diet exercise nothing helped it cam on about 10 pounds a year and at first it was not an issue I still felt great.  Over the last 3 years I have become increasingly miserable. Some days it is almost to painful to walk. I have a tenie tiny stomach that rapidly empties and thus I dump after every meal no matter what it is. I though it was menopause ha not so.  I started looking into a revision after reading about it on this site. 

First I went to an in-network Bariatric surgeon who told me he did revisions. After an Endoscopy and an Ultrasound he wanted to fix my RNY with another RNY and I was set to do that. But I kept reading how that was not successful Yes it may fix the dumping (stoma fix) or not.  During the initial consultation he told me I would lose 60 pounds no problem. Then I went to see him at a seminar. I spoke to him after and stated I really wanted a conversion to DS. He said insurance would never approve it and I should be happy with the 40 pound weight-loss. Now 40 not 60? WTH? So I left discouraged but 40 was better then nothing right? So I had the Psych and NUT evaluation and met with him again. I again asked about DS he said I would be in diapers and 85lbs and 20 pounds and a loss of the dumping would a great result. What 20 pounds? 

So I sent my distress out to the Internet and met Larra. Who told me to fight fight fight for what I felt was best for me. I read stories, some scary very scary of people who have been revised Girlrocker Hourselover and tons more. 

I went to see Dr. Rabkin in SF where I live. Wonderful man but not in my network.  Then I flew down to see Dr. Keshishian and was immediately empowered. He told me I am not a failure..."You are a Hyundai not a Hummer". 

Paperwork was submitted to my Primary insurance who approved in 15 days (they needed more documentation) and then my secondary who approved over the phone.  

Here I sit in a hotel room waiting for Monday when I will be revised from a failed RNY to a DS.

This surgery is not for everyone. But do your homework and decide what is the best option for you. 

Good luck,                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Whit

algundiasereflaca
on 12/8/12 12:16 pm
I wish you well
(deactivated member)
on 12/8/12 10:40 pm - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13

Good luck.

Dr. K and his staff are awesome as are the staff at Delano Regional Medical Center.

susang
on 12/12/12 10:20 am - CA

Love Dr K he is the best!!!!!! 

Most Active