Six years out and failed

Shannon M.
on 9/28/12 1:32 am - Rochester, MN
 I am frustrated...am only down 40 lbs.  Is my pouch broken after abuse or can I start over some how?  I had a test for the size of my pouch...still good.  So now what?

Amy 2bhealthy
on 9/28/12 2:24 am - STL Metro, IL
VSG on 09/13/12
What surgery did you have?

Amy

Revision: Realize band to VSG....loving my sleeve!! 

Shannon M.
on 9/28/12 4:09 am - Rochester, MN
 I had RNY.  I am so mad at myself for not using the tool to the  best of its capability.  So what do ya think?
Amy 2bhealthy
on 9/28/12 4:25 am - STL Metro, IL
VSG on 09/13/12
I think anything is still salvagable! I would go to the RNY forum and ask for tips on how to get back to the basics.Personally, I would start journally what I am eating, cutting my calories, carbs, etc. They will probably have some good advice there.

Best wishes to you! 

Amy

Revision: Realize band to VSG....loving my sleeve!! 

(deactivated member)
on 9/28/12 11:48 am - WA
Don't feel bad, you are not alone (not in the least). There are many many people who are in the same boat as you (and I). some people do a revision and some people do the healthy eating again route. I had RNY in 2008 and have gained it all back.  You have not ruined it, you said the tests show you are still small right.  You have a better chance than sally off the street does because of your small pouch. It is going to be hard in the begining but you can do it. Go back to basics and yes like the other poster said, go to the RNY board and seek out support. Keep coming back to OH as a way to keep yourself focused.  Are you wanting a revision?
MsBatt
on 9/29/12 1:26 am
First, read this: www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4416773/quotDoes-the-Patient -Fail-the-Procedure-or-Does-the/ and stop beating yourself up.

Second---if your pouch is 'still good', then your best hope is to start following the rules of your surgery. Journal every morsel that goes into your mouth. Limit your calories to 1000 or less, limit your carbs to less than 50 a day, don't drink with meals, etc.

Honestly, you probaby have damaged your metabolism severely, and it's going to be harder now than it would have been immedately after your surgery. If you simply cannot lose weight with your 'still good' pouch and following the rules to a T---then, consider revision to the DS. The DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, period.
Ladytazz
on 9/29/12 4:21 am
Your pouch may still be small but what about your stoma?  If your stoma has stretched out then there is nothing to keep the food in your pouch and it goes right into your intestines, leaving you with no restriction.  I would have that checked out and see where you stand before you make a decision about a revision.  Some insurance companies won't pay for a revision unless there has been some kind of mechanical failure.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Shannon M.
on 9/29/12 6:52 am - Rochester, MN
 thanks everyone.  What do you think of the 5 day pouch program?  I keep running across it.  Freaked out the other day too...back on metformin....this is really not good. I will have my stoma checked also. 
Shannon
lilac51
on 9/29/12 8:50 am
Hi Shannon,
I think all the suggestions and advice given to you are great. I had RNY done in Nov. '06. I started at 355 lbs. I'm now down to 237 lbs. The lowest weight I've gotten to is 235 lbs. I thank God I haven't gained but I am not losing anymore and I'm almost 6 years out. I watch what I eat and exercise. I have considered checking into revision surgery because I can't get down to goal weight.
I'm 51 years old and I don't want to wait much longer on this decision.  I definitely know where you're coming from and it's frustrating. Best of luck to you!

Karen

Allen Y.
on 10/2/12 3:07 pm - Garland, TX
 In 2002 I weighed in at 581 lbs and I got a VBG. I did wonderful, got all the way down to 216 lbs. I became a super athlete in my own mind anyway and rode around in 100 mile bike rides.

Then my father died, my mom lost her mind to altimers and two years later she two was gone. I also went nuts and just almost ended up in divorce.

I started eating again to numb myself against my loss and to stop my bad behavior. By 2010 I had put all the weight back on. About a year ago I had to go to a local specialty hospital because I had some medical issues and no other hospital in town could do a cat-scan on some one who was over 500 lbs. I saw a billboard while I was there that said the doctors there specialize in revisions and I made the phone call. 

I got my revision to RNY in March 2012 and I am down now to 400 LBS even. I can if I let my self slip eat too much. I just envision putting gas in a car and letting it overflow. Only I am the car, and the gas is all the medical problems I will have.

I am really good at limit my portion size to only a saucer full and always protein first. I need to work on reading labels.  

If you make up your mind to change, you will find a way to succeed. The key is to make daily achievable goals and do you best to meet them.

Good luck and we will pray with you.

Most Active