Revising from LapBand to RNY

gottaluvave
on 8/14/12 8:11 am - Dallas, TX
I am set for an EGD, psyche eval, and sleep study next week and then a revision sometime in October.  Dr. John Alexander with Dallas will be performing it.

Are there people here who have revised from band to bypass? did you have issues?

My biggest scare is the fact that I want to get pregnant about 1-2 years after my surgery.  People tell me to wait until I am done having kids.

Start Weight:   256
Surgery Weight: 248
Lowest Weight: 176
Revision Weight: 201
Current Weight:  196
Goal:  165

Never turning back!!!!!!!!

Mamazoune
on 8/14/12 8:48 am - Canada
Revision on 08/01/12
Hi there,

I had my band removed in February 2011 in an emergency surgery...it was bad.  I did have to wait until August 1st 2012 to get my RNY revision.  I would have loved to have had the opportunity to have the revision at the same time my band was removed.  I'm only 3 weeks post op now but so far so good.  I gained back all my weight and then some while I waited the year and a half to have the revision.

I had my kids before any of the surgeries so not sure about our question about having surgery before or after kids.  I imagine some people have a harder time getting pregnant because of their weight but if that's not the case I would probably wait until after I had kids.  I didn't have any complications after my band was removed except for putting the weight back on and the sadness that followed.

Good luck with your decision
Mamazoune                
Turtle Lynn
on 8/14/12 10:06 am - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

I am 11 weeks out from Band to RNY revision as of today.  You are welcome to read my blog on my profile, it outlines my experience with the revision up through now.  

HW 287, GW 150,  CW 168   ** Band to RNY 05/29/12 **

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? Join us-Lightweights Board

gottaluvave
on 8/14/12 10:23 am - Dallas, TX
Thank you so much for responding!!!!  You look great!  Was your surgery all done at once?

Start Weight:   256
Surgery Weight: 248
Lowest Weight: 176
Revision Weight: 201
Current Weight:  196
Goal:  165

Never turning back!!!!!!!!

Turtle Lynn
on 8/14/12 7:40 pm - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

Thank you! 

Yes, my procedures were done at the same time.  He took out my band and than revised me to the RNY right then.  

HW 287, GW 150,  CW 168   ** Band to RNY 05/29/12 **

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? Join us-Lightweights Board

Hislady
on 8/14/12 1:39 pm - Vancouver, WA
What a sad day,  I see the last 3 posts are from old timers like myself, it's such a shame that we are all having to deal with these problems. There are sooooo many of use who are suffering it's just criminal! Worst of all Allergan and Realize accept no responsibility for the pain and damage, it's just not right. I'm not sure about having kids, that ship is far away from the dock for me!You might ask your surgeon or post on the RNY forum and see what has happened for others. I wish you luck, none of us should have to go thru this.
MARIA F.
on 8/17/12 10:46 pm - Athens, GA

You know someone posted about children before or after WLS in the Failed Band group. I said that if I wanted more kids that I would wait to revise, but everyone else responded that they would revise first.

You'll be much happier with RNY than the band!

FormerlyFluffy.com

TamaraL
on 8/19/12 10:23 am
i did revise from lap band to rny.  my bmi barely met the insurance reguirement of 35 or higher and i still had co morbidities.  Still had sleep apnea. 

I love my bypass but i will tell you that it is a lifestyle change.  I have gained a few pounds back and am trying to lose those back. 

Tamara

Most Active