Hmmm..not sure what to think

(deactivated member)
on 7/28/12 12:33 am, edited 7/28/12 12:34 am - WA
I actually saw my PCP yesterday so he could write me a referral to a 2nd surgeon (second opinion) and he told me about the Phentermine. It is the other half of the Phen-Phen that did not have a problem. I had actually researched it previously a couple of years ago so I was familiar with it.  He on his own offered it to me if I wanted it saying he has seen it successful in other patients. I have 3 surgeons picked out for a revision (one down two to go) if I am turned down by all three then I will go on the Phentermine. I am just kinda skeptical about long term sucess given it is an appitite suppressant only. I actually kinda resent having to travel and see a psch, nut and then the surgeon just to see if he will even do the revision. Talk about having to pay to get an answer. I would rather fax over all needed test results and then be told if it appears as though he could work with it. Then have the inperson visit and get a final decision then go see the others. Ugh, talk about a racket.
pineview01
on 7/28/12 1:33 am, edited 8/1/12 3:06 pm - Davison, MI

Thank You for the clarification. I thought it was one half as my two sisters where on Phen-Fen. They both did great but, they had a responsible doctor that tested to make sure they had the chemical deficiency they required it. It was too bad there were so many irresponsible doctors that prescribed it to those without the issue and got it removed.

One sister did go on to get a DS and is doing good 10 years out. The other has never been able to lose weight since they took her off.

They sure like the hoop they jumg us thru.

Oh, and Tonya you sure are a pretty looking man.  I would have never guessed from you avitar

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

smileyjamie72
on 8/1/12 6:09 am, edited 8/1/12 6:09 am - Palmer, AK

Have you researched going from your failed RNY to the DS?  It has the BEST long term statistics for getting to goal, and KEEPING THE WEIGHT OFF!!!!!!!!!

You owe it to yourself to at least do some research to make THE BEST decision for YOU!!!!!!

Please be aware that not all surgeons perform the DS, so if you ask a doc who only does RNY about the DS, they are losing your business, a.k.a. $$$$$$$$!!!!!!

DSFacts.com has a list of vetted DS surgeons.  But since you already have an RNY, you list of qualified surgeons SHRINKS dramatically for the RNY to DS revision.

This link below is what "sealed" my decision to have my RNY to DS revision surgery
http://www.dssurgery.com/about/publications/duodenal-switch-safe-operation.pdf

Please take a look in my profile for a current list of RNY to DS surgeons

Good LUCK with whatever YOU decide!!!!!
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Tonya M.
on 8/2/12 5:50 am - Fort Dodge, IA

Thanks for the info Jamie.  I had an upper GI done on Wed and according to the radiologist they found nothing out of the ordinary.  :(  So basically this 2nd surgeon I saw will call me sometime in the future to tell me he doesn't feel comfortable performing a revision since there is nothing to "fix".  Oh well, very disappointing but I guess @ least I tried and made an effort.  Sucks so bad actually!  Just in disappointment mode right now, but I'll get over it..anyways, thanx again for the support and information! 

--Tonya

smileyjamie72
on 8/2/12 7:04 pm - Palmer, AK

Nothing was found out of the ordinary for me, either.  But, my RNY STILL FAILED me!!!!
The disappoinment is natural, but it still SUCKS!!!!
Come and check us out over on Weighlosssurgery.ProBoards.com, that is where the veterans from here went to.  More insight, more info, more support is ALWAYS a good thing!!!!

-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Ruth S.
on 8/4/12 12:57 pm - Orlando, FL
 Tonya, I've had it ALL!!  Lol...Upper Gi, etc.....honestly - the UGI only tracks the direction of fluids...for example...I had a report that mentioned a fistula (when the old stomach attachs to the pouch etc.  the Upper GI tracks the fluid going down the pouch.  To determine the SIZE of the pouch you have needed a ENDOSCOPY.  That's a scope down your throat and that shows how dilated your pouch is...I've had that done a couple of times.  An alternative for you - if you have the RNY is to check was is the length of the Roux Limb. Mine was 76 cm and not to say that I was not compliant and that it was a cause but I didn't achieve the weightloss I wanted. So the new surgeon I saw did the endoscopy first to deterine size and then the revision he did was the distal RNY - which is making me 150cm back (which was another 75cm) and hopefully I should be losing weight...I had a few complications but Im in the mend and we'll see I HOPE that I can lose the weight but Im doubtful. I know Im not eating enuf or proteins, etc...and now Im working out but something gotta eventually give! lol..
Ruth S.
Most Active