Revision to BPD DS from RNY Monday

KelleyKincaid
on 7/26/12 6:46 am - TN
 After many hours of prayer and research I talked with my DR. today and insead of having the RNY to Distal RNY he will do the RNY to BPD DS. ITs been since 2005 since I had RNY done so I'm VERY nervous. And we talked about closly monitoring me as well. If anyone has any tips thats been through this before that would make this transistion easier I'm all ears. Cause I've heard the second time around is harder.
Hislady
on 7/26/12 7:12 am - Vancouver, WA
Well as far as the surgery itself goes I can't help you, but keep trusting the Lord and all will be well. Sounds like you have a good doc to want to monitor you closely. All I can say is I have a clotting disorder and lung disease and have had 14 successful surgeries of various types in the last few years and all were with no complications. Keep the faith and God will supply the strength!
TitiTimbers
on 7/27/12 12:03 am - Malibu, CA
I think you are doing the right thing,.  Congrats and I know you are going to do just fine.
clpeltz
on 7/27/12 12:16 am
On July 26, 2012 at 1:46 PM Pacific Time, KelleyKincaid wrote:
 After many hours of prayer and research I talked with my DR. today and insead of having the RNY to Distal RNY he will do the RNY to BPD DS. ITs been since 2005 since I had RNY done so I'm VERY nervous. And we talked about closly monitoring me as well. If anyone has any tips thats been through this before that would make this transistion easier I'm all ears. Cause I've heard the second time around is harder.
Who is doing your surgery?  You do know that there are only a handful of surgeons in the WORLD who can really do this surgery?  The surgeon you have listed under your name is not one of them.  Be very careful.  This is a very complicated procedure and should not be done by just any surgeon.

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

Suzanne H.
on 7/31/12 2:30 am - Warminster, PA
I had RNY in 2004.  Had partial Distal Bypass in Sept 2011.  (partial means they didn't touch my stomach this time).  I can tell you I had a lot of negative comments on here telling me it would not work.  10 months out I have lost 85 lbs..  I would like to lose another 50, but we will see how it goes.  As far as the second time being harder. I would say I lost the weight a little slower & not consistantly.  Meaning I'm losing 8 lbs, then nothing instead 4 & 4 etc.  I stay of the scale because of this.  I have a huge hernia.  They don't want to remove it for another year so I can get a tummy tuck at the same time.  The less operations the better.  I will tell you my protein levels are low & because of this I get sick easily.  I hate having to have so many bowel movements in a day.  It has gotten to the point that I don't even like to eat because I will have to go to the bathroom.  I am hoping all of this goes away, but I guess time will tell.
smileyjamie72
on 8/1/12 5:38 am - Palmer, AK

Having the Distal portion (ERNY) of the Gastric Bypassy (RNY) is the "worst of both worlds".  The distal has it's own set of problems, and is way worse than the DS BY FAR.

http://www.dssurgery.com/newsletters/duodenal-switch-and-distal-gastric-bypass.php

I have seen peopl get revised from the distal to the DS because they were close to literally close to death, and no matter what they did, they could not keep their levels (vitamin & protein) up, were in mal-nutrition, and were severely underweight.

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Suzanne H.
on 8/1/12 6:13 am - Warminster, PA
As I have said I have had much criticism on here.  I choose to trust my doctor who specializes in weight loss revision.  He is keeping an eye on me.  I am definately not where I need to be protein wise.  All other vitamin levels are good.  They want me to take a medicine that will help me retain more of my weight.  I am trying to do it on my own first.  The only other negative thing I have that I didn't think would mind having to have so many bowel movements a day.  It does get old. Contrary to what I have read, it doesn't matter what you eat, you still have to go to the bathroom alot.  As far as the RNY, the only "negative" thing was the dumping, which actually I didn't find that to be negative.  It actually helped me not eat certain things.  Actually the dumping has almost stopped completely since the revision, or maybe I just know how to eat better.  Oh & the other thing I gained was I became partly lactose intolerant.  I miss being able to have a bowl of cereal or a small glass of milk.  Heck yeah I have some negatives, but I  have certainly gained a lot more positives, no more asthma, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholestrol or sleep apnea.

I am not close to be underweight yet, so not worrying about that yet. 

I have found that people think the operation they had was the best one to have.  That is good since that is what they chose.  I hear all of them have good results some better than others.  They all have negatives & positives. I will try never to persuade anyone one way or the other. I can only speak of my personal experience.  I leave the rest to research & the doctors.
smileyjamie72
on 8/1/12 1:38 pm - Palmer, AK

Suzanne,

I apologize if I came across as criticizing you.  I truely did not mean to come across that way.

I apologize
-Jamie in Alaska

LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Suzanne H.
on 8/1/12 10:58 pm - Warminster, PA
Jamie,
That was truly very nice of you to say.  Yes, I did take it as a criticism.  However you are the only person who ever acknowledged it. 

I feel so strongly about this because as I am sure you know this is a very difficult decision for many.  I have found that people on here & even people who aren't who have had weight loss surgery feel that the way they chose to go is the only way to go. I personally don't talk about any of the other ways because I never had them.  I even caution myself about what I say about the operations I have had because I realize each experience is different.  I am sure each operation has its pros & cons.  In the end I hope everyone finds the success they were searching for without too many complications. 

I strongly suggest anyone considering having WLS finds out all the different types of surgeries (most people don't know before they investigate that there are several ways to go) & they should talk to at least 2 different doctors so they can make a very informed choice.  I didn't the first time & it makes me wonder if I would have made the choice I did the first time.

I wish you the best & a very healthy life.
Suzanne
smileyjamie72
on 8/2/12 4:17 am - Palmer, AK

I strongly suggest anyone considering having WLS finds out all the different types of surgeries (most people don't know before they investigate that there are several ways to go) & they should talk to at least 2 different doctors so they can make a very informed choice.  I didn't the first time.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!  There are 4 different types of surgeries.  Yes 4!!!!
RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH!!!!!!
Go to surgeons who do ALL 4, to get the BEST possible outcome FOR YOURSELF and the rest of YOUR LIFE!!!!!!

LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Most Active