How many people have had lapband to RNY surgery

ddematteis
on 7/4/12 3:27 am - FL
  How many people have had laband to rny?  do you wish you had started out with rny?
mjst220
on 7/4/12 6:51 am
Me and Yes. Lapband workds for some, but not for most. In my opinion it is a waste of time and money. Everyone has to make the right decision for themselves, I just happened to make the wrong one the first time!
WannaSew
on 7/4/12 10:13 am - Dandridge, TN
 I had the band first time around...and did very well...lost over 100lbs...and maintained well for the first 5 years...then things started going downhill...they thought I had a port leak... after 3 surguries (and new surgeon) they did an EDG event...we found the band itsself was causing the leak...I had an errosion..

the new surgeon then revised to a RNY.....I had a big hole in my stomach  (when they removed the band) they also had to remove my gallbladder, and my spleen...that slowed my recovery...but. we made it!!!

personally I loved my band and feel funny about having the RNY...they say less than 1 % have a band errosion  LUCKY ME!!!!

Good Luck with your dicision!!
Blessings...Debbi

Lapband .. May 2005 .. Starting weight 311.6
Revision surgery Jan 2012 .. RNY .. 231
Currant weight 168

Sherrie P.
on 7/5/12 1:54 pm
RNY on 02/06/13
I am working on the revision from band (2005) to RNY.
I never had any luck with the band.
Worst decision ever.
Turtle Lynn
on 7/6/12 1:57 am - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

I did and yes, I wish I had chosen RNY instead of the Band.  I'm very happy with my RNY  and am 5 1/2 weeks postop. 

HW 287, GW 150,  CW 168   ** Band to RNY 05/29/12 **

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? Join us-Lightweights Board

terilynn112
on 7/6/12 10:17 am - maryland, NY
I'm a band to bypass revision. LOVE my rny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! best choice I ever made. I've lost 100 pounds from my highest..... I've never regretted my bypass or my band. It wasn't the right tool for me, but I would have second guessed it my whole life. So I went with least invasive, to the RNY.

teri
18 months post revision.

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

ButterlyTattoo
on 7/7/12 3:36 am - PA
I am in the process of revising from my band.  I was originally 100% set on the vertical sleeve, but due to GERD, my surgeon wants me to consider RNY.  I'm more nervous about that option, so seeing some positive responses here helps me a lot!

Tracey K.
on 7/9/12 8:04 am - NJ
RNY on 08/24/12
I am in the same boat as you! Just had my band out, and found out I can't have the sleeve as planned due to too much acid exposure ( barretts esophagus) I was very upset at first I had never considered the rny but after doing a ton of research and talking to other patients, I am almost convinced the rny is the right choice, it could actually help with the acid! Good luck with your decision, but I'm pretty sure I know mine
Turtle Lynn
on 7/9/12 8:45 am - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

I had horrendous GERD for 3+ years with the Band. . .that was one reason I had the RNY rather than the DS.  I have esophageal damage and with the DS or sleeve, there was a very good chance the reflux would continue.  

I had my RNY 6 weeks ago and my GERD is completely resolved.  Now I'm on meds to try and repair some of the damage to my esophagus but I'm doing really well with the RNY. . .I have NO more acid reflux. . .I LOVE IT!!!!

Revising to RNY is the best thing I could have done.  

HW 287, GW 150,  CW 168   ** Band to RNY 05/29/12 **

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? Join us-Lightweights Board

MsBatt
on 7/7/12 8:49 am
My advice is to research the Sleeve and the DS as well, while you still have a fairly intact stomach. The DS has the very BEST long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, period. But revising from the RNY to the DS is the most difficult revision there is. Think twice, cut once.
Most Active