RNY

happygirl01
on 6/25/12 9:17 pm
I have a question. I need a revision and it will be lapband I am sure. I had RNY and did fantastic on it just had issues that I allowed to get in my way and gained,  I still get sick on too much sugar and dump. My question is why is it they can't go in and make the pouch smaller and it work like the first time, I think that is the Rose procedure which is a big failure. Just curious as to why it doesen't work as well as first time. Thanks
(deactivated member)
on 6/25/12 10:08 pm - WA
I spoke with 2 surgeons (actually thier NP's) who both told me they could resize my pouch if it  had indeed stretched beyond what is considered out for a vet.  My understanding from reading many many posts on this website is that your metabolism changed with your first surgery and you also grew more villi than before so your body now holds onto the calories with a tight fist.  Not everyone loses at a slower rate than before. Some people lose at a nice pace, just not the huge drop in numbers like melting butter.
MsBatt
on 6/27/12 3:21 pm
Because your metabolism has already adapted. AS Muzzled explained, the body tries to repair the damage WLS causes by growing extra villi in order to absorb more. The ONLY thing you can do to get around this is to increase the amount of small intestine that's bypassed. You can do this by converting to a distal or extended RNY, or by converting to the DS. (The DS has the very BEST long-term, maintained weight-loss stats for any form of WLS.)
Most Active