Preparing for 2rd Revision Need Advice

BWSolider
on 5/21/12 5:20 am
I had my original surgery on September 14, 2000 at 651 pounds. I lost about 200 pounds but started to regain the weight, I had my gastric bypass converted to a Fobi pouch, at the time I was about 480 pounds, I lost down to the my lowest adult weight of 261 pounds. Over the course of the last 3 years, I have gained 200 pounds and I am now 461 pounds and gaining. I am preparing to have the overstitch procedure done, just waiting for my insurance to clear.  I have been overweight all of my life and I would just like some advice, has anyone had the overstitch procedure done and does it work? I just don’t want to fail again, my heart literally and figuratively just cannot take it.   Are there resources available that will help me, can help me? The prison of my weight and my failures leave me ashamed and scared. I have sacrificed my whole life for food.  For those of you who have been successful, can you tell me how do you conquer this?
H.A.L.A B.
on 5/21/12 9:02 am
Have you consider revising to DS? how about asking people on DS forum?

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

clpeltz
on 5/21/12 9:05 am
You need a malabsorbtive procedure.  Have you looked into the DS?  You keep doing restrictive only procedures and you have already proven twice that restrictive only is not powerful enough for you.  Revising to another restrictive only procedure is sure to land you in the same place you are now.  I would highly advise that you look into a revision to the DS.  Visit the DS forum here and visit dsfacts.com.  Read every page there and do as much research as possible.  If your insurance is willing to pay for another revision, why not make it your last.  I wish you luck in your journey!  I am a RNY to DS revision and am loving it!

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

cajungirl
on 5/21/12 9:11 am
No personal experience with the over stitch but the results have been disappointing in what I've read so far.

I concur with the other posters, the DS should be considered for best results.

Best wishes

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

BWSolider
on 5/21/12 9:14 am

No, I had not considered a DS,  I was going with the procedure that my Dr. suggested.  Honestly I am not overly familiar with the procedure.  I will follow up with my Dr. tomorrow and start the research process.  I would sincerely like to make this my last go round. 

clpeltz
on 5/21/12 9:21 am
I am glad that you are going to research it.  Make sure you read everything on dsfacts.com.  Also, you have to have a consult with a DR the DOES the DS, which your DR does not.  Your DR will NOT give you correct info if he/she does not do it.  Do not rely on him/her for correct info.  Where are you from?

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

INgirl
on 5/21/12 9:25 am
Please, please look into the DS. Your Dr likely isn't a DS surgeon (did not look to see who you used) so- do NOT count on getting all or accurate info from him, at all.

Please start reading here, then posting on the DS forum as well, I will PM you a link as well that may be helpful: http://www.dsfacts.com/

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/21/12 9:38 am, edited 5/21/12 9:39 am
They are only a very few DS docs that can do - or even attempt to do a good RNY to DS revision. 
Any other doc may try to convince you that you do not need that.   You current doc may be great - but if he has never done RNY to DS revison - he may not even know or belive that this is possible or even recommended for you.  

I had RNY - but if I could start all over - or if ever I have to consider  revision - I would only consider revision to DS - and ONLY buy the very few docs that have done them in the past and had done a good number of them. 
Not only you need a good doc  - you need a GREAT doc. One that can really help you and offer you chance for a real life.   

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

BWSolider
on 5/21/12 9:33 am

I live in Atlanta.  I agree, I know the overstitch procedure is a  new procedure and I can not find alot of data on the process or the failure/success ratio. 

MsBatt
on 5/22/12 11:59 am
The overstitch procedure is also known as the Rose or the Stomaphyx, and its long-term results are...very poor.

Given your starting weight, and the little success you've enjoyed with the RNY, you really need to consult with highly-experienced revision surgeon about an RNY-to-DS procedure. I'd recommend Drs. Rabkin or Keshishian in CA, Roslin in NY, maybe a couple of others. Do post on the DS board here, check out www.dsfacts.com, and feel free to e-mail me directly at [email protected] if you'd like to talk one-on-one.
Most Active