confused on revisin to DS

(deactivated member)
on 4/22/12 1:31 am - WA
I read on the boards that doctors who do the DS are few (like 10 or 20 in US).

Is it that there are few doctors who do the revision to the DS or is it who actually do the DS at all?
clpeltz
on 4/22/12 1:19 pm
It depends on what you are revising from.  What do you currently have?

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

(deactivated member)
on 4/23/12 3:34 am - WA
I had a Proximal RNY. My problem has not been eating large portions It has been sweets and fats. Since they didn't bother me I was naughty. Dumb I know. I've really beat myself up over it.
clpeltz
on 4/23/12 3:46 am
On April 23, 2012 at 10:34 AM Pacific Time, muzzled wrote:
I had a Proximal RNY. My problem has not been eating large portions It has been sweets and fats. Since they didn't bother me I was naughty. Dumb I know. I've really beat myself up over it.
Don't beat yourself up.  We are all human and make human mistakes.  You know what your weakness is and that is something you can work with.  No WLS is going to help you with the sweets.  No matter how much intestine is bypassed, our bodies will still absorb 100% of sugars.  That is something you will need to work on.  It is difficult, I know! 

A revision from RNY to DS is nothing to bat an eye at.  It is difficult and only a handful of surgeons in the US and a few outsidet the US are qualified to do that kind of revision.  Here is the go to list:

The Doctors listed below are the ONLY ones that are experienced to do a RNY-DS revision.  The ONLY ones.  Sorry, there are none in Michigan...

Dr. Rabkin, Dr. Keshishian, both are located in California

Dr. Elariny, located in Virginia

Dr. Roslin, located in New York

Dr. Buchwald, located in Minnesota

Of course, the above doctors are in the United States

Dr. Gagner, located in Canada (Does most revisions in two parts)

Dr. Baltasar, located in Spain

Dr. Marchesini, located  in Brazil

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

Turtle Lynn
on 4/23/12 8:55 am - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

It's both actually.  It is because the DS is such a complicated surgery there aren't that many surgeons who do it.  I just had this conversation with my GI doc the other day. 

Dr. David Greenbaum in New Jersey also does RNY-DS, RNY-RNY and many other extremely complicated revision surgeries. 

He has a lot of experience, which is a key factor that you want to look for in a DS surgeon.  You definitely want to do your homework if you decide to go that route. 

Best of luck to you!

HW 287, GW 150,  CW 168   ** Band to RNY 05/29/12 **

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? Join us-Lightweights Board

Most Active