Just had a revision from band to RNY

OceansideLisa
on 2/2/12 1:39 am - CA
Last Wednesday I FINALLY had my revision.  My band and port were removed, and the RNY performed.  The surgery went well and I am on my way to healing.

When I was contacted about a surgery date, I chose the earliest one, which was approximately 10 days away.  I started my pre-op diet, although I wasn't perfect on it.  I know I lost weight, but I didn't weigh myself - I have never really had a lot of faith in my scale, and figured I'd know my exact starting weight the day of surgery.  (I shouldn't have thought that, because I wasn't weighed at the hospital.)  Anyway, everything worked out with the surgery, so I guess my big ol' fatty liver wasn't an issue.

In the hospital I was served frozen protein shakes, tea, broth, and sugar free jello starting the day after surgery.  I could just barely eat any of it at first, but the second day I finished a whole shake.  It took HOURS to do, but I was satisfied in knowing a had some protein in me.

I went home 3 days later on Saturday.  I am still sore - feeling like I did 500 sit-ups, but everything else is good.  My incisions are healing, and there is no oozing or bleeding or any other similar lovely issue.

My weight loss so far (since coming home) has been down 4, up 2, down 1, up 1, whatever.  I'm not concerned about it right now as I am still trying to focus more on taking my time to heal the right way.  I realize my body just went through something that most people's bodies never go through, and it needs time to readjust from the previous 50 years!

So for now, I am consuming two shakes containing 78 grams of protein, approx 10 oz of broth, and about 32 oz of water.  All of these take a lot of time to drink - but I am getting them down.  A couple times I took a larger drink than I should have, but realized it while it was all in my mouth, so I was able to spit it out and start over.  And the number one thing I learned was NOT to drink while on the phone.  That is when I seem to drink faster, so no more.

My exercise hasn't really started yet.  My fault completely and I have no excuse.  For the past 4 days I've been home, I have gone to the store and a little bit of yard work, but nothing structured.  Today, I start walking, 30 minutes a day.  

I feel good, but I am really looking forward to my incisions all healed up and the soreness gone - then I will feel GREAT!

SukieSookie
on 2/2/12 5:10 am
I'm so happy for you that you got your revision done! I'm trying to get a revision from the band also so I know what that was like (throw up city) I hope you heal really fast and are able to start exercising as soon as you feel up to it. Good luck!!

A H.
on 2/2/12 11:51 am
Revision on 02/09/12
Congrats on getting your band out and onto a "real" WLS. :) Wishing you much success! I can't wait to join you on the losers bench...again.

Band (09/07) removed, revised to sleeve 2/9/12.

shoppingsarah
on 2/3/12 11:48 am - Los Angeles, CA
RNY on 03/08/12
I decided today that I am revising from band to bypass. I have a tentative date of feb. 22. I am also in California. Who is your surgeon?
OceansideLisa
on 2/5/12 1:01 pm - CA
My surgeon was Dr. Owens in Orange, CA.  I had the utmost confidence in him and his extensive experience, and so far, I have had nothing but a positive outcome.

Most Active