eroded band question ???

karenbarb
on 12/30/11 9:43 pm - Roselle, NJ
Revision on 01/18/12
hi guys, i am gettin revised from band to sleeve...i found out yest. at my endoscopy, that i have a h. hernia and my band has eroded !!!!!!! can anyone chime in with this experience ???

IT IS A NEVERENDING BATTLE, THAT I WILL NOT LOSE

TamaraL
on 12/30/11 10:43 pm
from my understanding if the band has eroded, they will need to remove it and let the stomach and esophagus heal and then you will have to have a second surgery for the sleeve.

Talk to your surgeon about 1 surgery to do both or 2 different surgeries.  I was very lucky  and thankful  that my band had not eroded.

Hislady
on 12/31/11 7:14 am - Vancouver, WA
Sorry you've experienced problems but at least you aren't alone there are many who have had to revise. I'm sure you will be much happier with the sleeve. I haven't read of anyone being unhappy with their sleeves, wish I had gotten it myself. Good luck to you!
(deactivated member)
on 12/31/11 10:39 pm
 i don't think you're going to be able to revise in one surgery.   your very likely going to have to heal from that erosion for a good 3 months or so.

no erosion for me, but i have had a zero complication - at goal already, revision to the sleeve.   i wish you the same!!

camietam
on 1/6/12 1:35 pm - Ceres , CA
The band will have to be removed, but I would wait. I would let the eroded area heal. The band caused narrowing that we couldn't foresee. I had a lot of scar tissue and adhesion's. Read my Blog. I documented everything. 2 surgeries, EGD, upper GI, 13 days in the hospital and 12 days on a feeding tube. The good new is I feel better and I can eat and drink. The feeding tube worked. The doctor said if the narrowing didn't open they would have to do the RNY. So sorry you are going though a lot. My advice find out exactly where the erosion is located on the stomach and then you will know which surgery option will be for you.
Camie
Camie

neacres100
on 2/18/12 2:17 am - NJ

My band erroded into my stomach, tubing was loose, infected port, fistuals and ulcers.  I was in the hospital for a week after removal due to the severe infection.  I had to wait 6 months to heal after removal, then had to have an endoscopy done to make sure everything healed inside.

The erosion was extremely painful, had high fevers due to infections and the abdominal area was very painful to touch...walking hurt. 

Once healed up, then the surgeon was able to proceed.  I had a lot of adhesions and scar tissue.  My surgery was done lap.

Good luck to you.

Erroded lapband removed 12/28/09, stomach repaired, infected port cut out.

WLS done on Dec 14th, 2010.WOOHOO!!
I survived & I'm alive!  Dr. Gagner is my life saver!
MARIA F.
on 2/19/12 12:59 pm - Athens, GA

Just wanted to mention that you might get some more feedback about the erosion on the FB failed band forum. The link is below. Good luck!

FormerlyFluffy.com

kellogal
on 2/21/12 7:13 am
I do not know if my band has failed or eroded, but I am somewhat unhappy with my weight loss. I originally lost 50 pounds with the lapband (had it installed in Dec. 2008), but have since gained back about 20 pounds! I don't know if my doctor would consider me for a gastric bypass. I suppose I should call his office. Anyone else in my boat? I would love to lose 50 more, but that doesn't seem possible with the band and me. Thanks!
MARIA F.
on 2/21/12 1:14 pm - Athens, GA
On February 21, 2012 at 3:13 PM Pacific Time, kellogal wrote:
I do not know if my band has failed or eroded, but I am somewhat unhappy with my weight loss. I originally lost 50 pounds with the lapband (had it installed in Dec. 2008), but have since gained back about 20 pounds! I don't know if my doctor would consider me for a gastric bypass. I suppose I should call his office. Anyone else in my boat? I would love to lose 50 more, but that doesn't seem possible with the band and me. Thanks!

There are many ppl in your situation. The band does not work for a LOT of ppl!

Most bandsters revise to VSG, but RNY is a good option also as far as I'm concerned. If you want to revise I would suggest doing so as soon as possible since many insurance policies have started adding a "one WLS per lifetime" clause. Hopefully yours has not done that yet.

FormerlyFluffy.com

kellogal
on 2/22/12 1:23 am
Thank you, Maria. I will see if I can do just that! Appreciate your reply.
Most Active