I think I have made a revision decision...lol

Member Services
on 12/29/11 10:11 pm - Irvine, CA
 Dear Members,

Personal attacks are not allowed pursuant to our Terms of Service. 

Personal attacks include, but are not limited to, name-calling, being hateful, threatening, harassing, insulting, malicious orattacking a member personally rather than challenging a member's views or position in an appropriate and respectful way.  Please keep comments on the subject, not on a person.

We appreciate your anticipated cooperation as an ObesityHelp member.

Thank you,
Member Services

aronsmom
on 12/29/11 10:40 pm - Des Moines, WA
stormechaser
on 12/29/11 10:07 am
DS on 06/08/17
I have been going back and forth on this matter for many months. The surgeon I chose does the DS, but of course it's not his primary surgery.

One of the biggest reasons I have decided to go after RNY is because the DS as a two stage procedure, with the switch occurring a long time after the sleeve, doesn' t have good results for the dramatic amount of weight loss that I need to occur. As I have stated before, I have no idea what is going on inside my guts. Until I get some honest to goodness medical intervention I don't know what will happen. I have made a decision as to what surgery I want. Until I am evaluated by the surgeon, that's the way I want to go. He made counsel me against this and help me make a different choice. That will remain to be seen.

I am just over four years out from the sleeve. I wanted an RNY to begin with. But when I got down to brass tacks, I went with the option available to me-a sleeve. It was what I could afford, it had good results and I didn't want a band which was my only other alternative. It was a monetary decision based on my needs and what I could afford.

I am my own health care advocate. You don't have as many health issues-including not one but TWO autoimmune diseases-as I do and let the health care professionals walk all over you and dictate your care. That is bull**** I interact with my doctors and if they won't work with me, I find another. Believe me, I will not allow for choices to be made that I am not in agreement with.

I need restriction as well as malabsorbtion. Unless I can be re-sleeved or some other restrictive option, I don't want a bypass procedure that will not do much for me.

But of course, I will wait for some medical opinions and results of tests before I schedule a surgery date.

VSG TO DS Revision on June 8, 2017.

Surgeon: Dr. Philip Schauer at Cleveland Clinic
Current Weight: 280 lbs

Regained to: 312lbs
Lowest after VSG: 249lbs
Highest Weight ever: 330lbs

cajungirl
on 12/29/11 11:08 am
One of the biggest reasons I have decided to go after RNY is because the DS as a two stage procedure, with the switch occurring a long time after the sleeve, doesn' t have good results for the dramatic amount of weight loss that I need to occur.

You may not experience the results you hope to with a RNY revision either.  It's pretty standard that revisions lose slower (and maybe not as much as a virgin surgery) no matter what revised to.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

stormechaser
on 12/29/11 11:17 am
DS on 06/08/17
Thanks Dana.  I am trying to figure it all out, but the RNY will reduce my stomach and bypass the intestines. If I only have the switch part of the DS, I will still not have restriction and have to rely solely on malabsorbtion. Its a tough road to walk, and I am plodding along trying to figure it all out.

And, yeah, I shouldn't have cursed and I did delete that post. I left the other forum and yet she followed and started up. Funny how I am called a trouble maker but I left and still the haters find a way to continue their onslaught.

Jolly Rancher
on 12/30/11 12:44 am
DSers are not resigned to stay on the DS board. Look around at how many people are seeking revisions. Of course they cruise the revision board to give out information. It's not about you.
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW
stormechaser
on 12/30/11 3:23 am
DS on 06/08/17
Well, actually, it is about me when I am purposefully staying away from someone and they make a point to attack me elsewhere.

I don't want to engage with anyone reguarding this any longer. I am blocking left and right and would encourage others to do the same for me.

orangecrushed
on 12/29/11 11:28 pm - Triad, NC
An experienced revision surgeon could also give you a re-sleeve (to add restriction), and do the switch part.  But, you will want to go to someone who has done lots of revisions.  Even going from sleeve to RNY is tricky, I'd imagine.  Best of luck to you, and do TONS of research before you decide to follow the advice of your surgeon.  Let the choice truly be yours and yours alone.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Join me here: weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/

clpeltz
on 12/30/11 2:14 am
On December 29, 2011 at 7:17 PM Pacific Time, stormechaser wrote:
Thanks Dana.  I am trying to figure it all out, but the RNY will reduce my stomach and bypass the intestines. If I only have the switch part of the DS, I will still not have restriction and have to rely solely on malabsorbtion. Its a tough road to walk, and I am plodding along trying to figure it all out.

And, yeah, I shouldn't have cursed and I did delete that post. I left the other forum and yet she followed and started up. Funny how I am called a trouble maker but I left and still the haters find a way to continue their onslaught.

You do know that you can be resleeved right?  They can reduce the size of your sleeve.  You are ready to butcher your stomach, anyway....at least with resleeving you will get the restriction back AND keep your pyloric valve....best of both worlds.  And as for the malabsorption...with the RNY, the malabsorption is minimal and STOPS at about 18 months out.  Yes, STOPS!  If you are looking for permanent malabsorption, the DS would be better for that.  The amount of intestines bypassed as much greater than with the RNY,  much greater. 

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

stormechaser
on 12/30/11 3:29 am
DS on 06/08/17

That is where I have confliciting information. I have been reading like a maniac and what I see says that if they re-sleeve me, it may cause problems with stomach elasticity-something to the effect of a balloon that has been blown up too much and is thinned out and unstable. Not the best analogy, but I am at work and don't have my research file available. 

If I could be safely re-sleeved, and safely switched, that could be a potential revision idea.

Thanks!

Most Active