Two part surgery

Sneeka D.
on 11/25/11 12:15 pm, edited 11/26/11 11:11 am - New York, NY
RNY on 02/13/12
So, I had the endoscopy as a standard pre-surgical step before the revision from band to RNY. Turns out the pain I have been having after eating is from esophageal ulcers. I thought it was just reflux. Now the surgery has to be done in two parts. First my surgeon will remove the lapband, then 8 weeks later, he will do the rny, after the ulcers have had enough time to heal. I was also put on medication to help the ulcers to heal.

Has anyone had the revision done in a two-step procedure? Of course I want to do what is safest, but am actually worried about weight gain in the interim between the two surgeries.
terilynn112
on 11/26/11 8:31 pm - maryland, NY
my band had to totally be emptied, and I did gain about 20 pounds, over 5 months. Just be careful what you eat. Remember that You are more important than what the number says.

Good luck with the revision. I love my RNY

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

Sneeka D.
on 11/26/11 11:18 pm - New York, NY
RNY on 02/13/12
Hi Terilynn,

Thanks so much for your reply. My band was totally emptied right after the endoscopy last week. It is amazing to be 'free' but I still have the ulcers so that is somewhat keeping me in check. I am being careful and eating more protein and less carbs. I really have to watch it.

Can you give me an idea of what you eat now with rny? Is it much different than with the band?
cowgirlJane
on 11/27/11 7:29 am
I had my band removed in September and am getting the gastric sleeve in December. It was my choice to do this as a two step after discussing pros and cons with surgeon.

A part of me wishes I had done it as one step, but honestly, the time between the two really convinced me that i need to have a revision. Where I was waffling before, I now really need help as I am hungry like 24/7. i think a part of me was holding on to the "I can do it myself" dillusion until after the band was removed. I am a lot less nervous/scared about getting my "stomach reduction" now.
topaz11
on 11/30/11 8:44 am, edited 11/30/11 8:45 am
just curious... how long was recovery from just having band removed? did you miss any work. I am having mine removed in dec.

cowgirlJane
on 11/30/11 8:48 am
My surgery was on a Thursday and I returned to work on a Monday; I have a desk job.   Big mistake because I wound up feeling pretty bad and took thurs and Friday of that week off. It seems like I got a little virus combined with the after effect off the anesthesia.    I had a mild fever and was coming down with something on the day of my surgery and just didn;t bounce back like I expected.   I tend to be a bit touchy about anesthesia.   The wound itself wasn't too bad - the only really sore part was where the port was.

topaz11
on 12/2/11 7:27 am
Ok, thanks.  I am having my band out and was planning on taking 4 days. hope that is enough. I to have a desk job, but, the enviroment is very stressful. my insurance denied my revision but approved the band to be removed due to issues.  thanks for yr reply

cowgirlJane
on 12/2/11 8:43 am
I would have been fine returning to work on that Monday had I not been kinda fuzzy brained.  I have a high stress job that requires alot of communication and problem solving type thing.  If you give it a try, but really feel awful, can you take an extra day or two?

Good chance you will be okay though.
topaz11
on 12/2/11 7:03 pm
Push come to shove, I would have too,  End of year, hard to get time off with others taking vacation.  If my revision had been approved,  I could have applied for FMLA,  This surgery is out patient and short term so I could not apply. Thats ok  though, all will work out.  Thanks for yr insite.  Happy Holidays  

Jennifer Ramsey
on 2/8/12 11:23 am - Southaven, MS
Revision on 04/11/12
So how was your recovery? I am a RN at a rehab hospital so it requires a lot of lifting. Having my band out Friday.
Most Active