Lapband Fluid Removal Pre-Surgery

teachkdz0507
on 11/17/11 12:52 am
Hey Friends,

I have my pre-op appointment next week.  I am revising from a lapband to a sleeve due to a slippage.  I intend to ask my surgeon to take some fluid out as I am soooo uncomfortable right now.  I'm interested to hear if any of you had to have ALL of the fluid removed for an extended time pre-surgery?

Do tell all!

Thanks!
Tammy
(deactivated member)
on 11/17/11 12:55 am
mine was empty over a yr before revision to sleeve.

(deactivated member)
on 11/18/11 5:11 am - WA
 how did you do for your revision to a sleeve?  I am interested in doing that, and just went to an OH conf and they kind of discouraged revisions.  Why did you have the revision, and how did it go?  Glad you did it??
(deactivated member)
on 11/18/11 5:36 am, edited 11/17/11 5:37 pm - NJ
On November 18, 2011 at 1:11 PM Pacific Time, Jennifer J. wrote: how did you do for your revision to a sleeve? I am interested in doing that, and just went to an OH conf and they kind of discouraged revisions. Why did you have the revision, and how did it go? Glad you did it??

Are you kidding? Why on earth would they be discouraging revisions, especically from the lap band? What did they say? (please read these sentences in my surprsised voice!) I am not being sarcastic or mean, I am totally shocked that they said that!!

ETA - my band was empty for a couple of weeks before it was ousted. then i had the RNY a month after that.
(deactivated member)
on 11/18/11 5:50 am
i did well - almost 3wks out & very close to my personal goal already...didn't have too much to lose.

my band had slipped twice & after the second time, i left it unfilled.   it was just a pain in the ass trying to creep back up with small fills - only to suffer with reflux/ night coughs/ pain in my back.

at first i thought i would just keep it unfilled - i was able to maintain my 100% EWL, until early summer. i was diagnosed with fibro & osteoarthritis and my exercise really took a nose dive - then the pounds started to creep up.    i wasn't going to wait & see - so i sought out a revision.

i can't understand why anyone would discourae a revision - specifically from the band.
makes no sense when the sleeve as the other restrictive surgery works as others say "the band promises".

i'd say go for it.

Hislady
on 11/17/11 10:28 am - Vancouver, WA
I had mine emptied several months ago even tho I have no plans for revision at this point. So far I'm holding my own haven't gained but a pound or 2. It's not easy but if I keep a close watch on what I eat I do OK. I just got tired of being tight all the time/
(deactivated member)
on 11/18/11 2:45 am - PA
I've had my taking out since August when it slipped for the 2nd time. 

I'm currently scheduled for a revision to the DS on January 19th. 
paulrap
on 11/21/11 9:47 pm
I was completely unfilled about 3 months prior to my revision and put on about 8-10 pounds. I also had two slips. But luckily, I had geat weightloss with the band and do not have much to lose. I am almost 2 months post-op RNY and my ultimate would be to lose about 20 more pounds but my main reason for the revision was for maintenance and not weightloss. Good luck to you!P.S. Not a trace of reflux since my revision! Now thats worth it all!!!

Hope your day is great!

Paula

Banded 1/22/2009 Revision to RNY 9/26/11

Cheryl N.
on 11/22/11 10:10 am - Des Moines, WA

I had my band emptied 6/3/2011 and had revision to RNY on 8/1/2011 and I'm very happy.
My surgeon recommends that to help reduce imflammation and complications.

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

Gidget C.
on 11/23/11 3:34 am - Zebulon, NC

Got my band March 2009. I had my band "emptied" in July 2010 and had my RNY 10/27/11. I couldn't have adjustments to my band because of a vaso/vagal response. I would pass out every time I got an adjustment. 

As far as not revising, that is a load of crap! I wouldn't have it any other way. I waited 2 years so that I could do this. Best decision I ever made and I'm not even 4 weeks out/27 pounds down!

If your band is failing you, look into revision.

Most Active