Sleeve Revision after RNY

vics1313
on 11/10/11 10:26 am
I am 7 years post RNY.  I have been having issues with terrible pressure around my mid section and have regained some weight with other complications as well.  I went to a surgeon and he indicated that the intestine attached to my pouch has streched and is collecting food which is causing the pressure.  He wants to revise the RNY with a sleeve gastrectomy.

Has anyone experienced a similar complication and or had sleeve as a revision to RNY?

I would greatly appreciate your insight!
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 11/12/11 4:09 am
The sleeve is a good surgery, but since you had some malabsorption with your RNY, it's likely that the restriction of the sleeve alone won't be enough. 

The sleeve is part of the DS, and does have the malabsorption, and would make more sense. I suspect you need to go to a surgeon that can actually do that revision to get an unbiased (as in, not recommending only one of the procedures they are limited to). Your surgeon is recommending what he is able to perform, which may not be what is best for you

Also, revising the RNY pouch is much higher risk than virgin surgeries, and there are only a few surgeons that I would allow to revise a pouch back to a sleeve. If I were you, I start by contacting Rabkin or Kesheshian.

Most Active