Lapband - The Biggest Mistake of My Life

kimhoke
on 10/25/11 6:48 am
Hi,
I was banded in July 2010 and only lost a total of 33lbs after following all the rules.  Like many of you, my lap band experience can best be described as the biggest mistake of my life.  I vomit daily and just feel uncomfortable or stuck most of the time.  I want to revise to another WLS for better results and to ease my pain/discomfort. My co-morbidities include hypertension and joint pain.  High cholesterol was recently added to the list.  I had a GI last week and it revealed that I have a dilated distal esophagus and duodentis. 

I have two questions:

1. What do the results mean?
2. Is this something that indicates that a sugical revision is medically necessary? If not, do I at qualify for insurance approval (Federal BCBS) to have the band removed?

Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks

airbender
on 10/25/11 7:20 am
only you know what your insurance policy will cover as every contract is different.  what you stated sounds like you need to be completly deflated as esophogeal dilation is very very common with the lapband, cure is to deflate.....that does not mean surgical revision.....good luck to you
(deactivated member)
on 10/25/11 11:48 am - NJ
Agreed - has your band been emptied yet?  That may solve your problem.

That was the first thing my surgeon did was unfill my band with the first bad episode of reflux I had and it stayed empty for about a month before we tried to refill.  The second refill had me in pain on my way back to my car from the hospital where the fills were done.

I had another emergency unfill and a week later I was discussing removal and revision with my surgeon because the only way to cure band-induced reflux is to remove it.

I did have reflux issues before I was banded and I do know a few people that the band actually cured their reflux; but for the majority, it intensifies the reflux.

I hope something works for you.
kimhoke
on 10/25/11 2:05 pm
No, the band has not been emptied.  I relocated from Atlanta to Durham, NC so I had to find a doctor to accept me as a transfer patient.  That was not an easy task.  I was finaly accepted at Duke Univ. Medical Center and had to wait to be seen by a surgeon. My surgeon ordered the GI am wanted to wait to get the results before going any further. I only have 4.5 cc's in the band and could not tolerate any future fills so I'm hoping that he will take it all out.  Thanks for the encouragement. 

MsBatt
on 10/25/11 8:31 am
Yes, I believe that would qualify as being medically necessary. I'm going to suggest you seriously consider revising to the DS/duodenal switch, for several reasons. Just going by your weigh in your ticker, I'm guessing you started out with a BMI above 50, which strongly suggests you have metabolic problems. The DS is the WLS that makes a dramatic, permanent change for the better in our metabolism.

Also, you have high cholesterol, and the DS is simply THE best WLS for treating that. Because the DS greatly limits our ability to absorb fat, most DSers eat fat freely and still have cholesterol numbers in the excellent range. (Mine's gone from over 200 to 112.)

And you have joint pain, so I'm guessing you take NSAIDs. (Pretty much every OTC pain reliever/anti-inflammatory/fever reducer out there other than Tylenol is an NSAID.) After the RNY, NSAIDs are a life-long no-no---but they're no more dangerous after a DS than they are for a 'normal' person. (I take them every. single. day.)

And lastly, the DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight loss results, ESPECIALLY for those with a BMI greater than 50.
kimhoke
on 10/25/11 11:29 am
Thank you for the information.  This is very helpful!

Sexyvt123
on 10/25/11 11:19 pm
I agree with Ms Batt

That should be more than enough reason to revise.  I would go to the Dr and have him unfill you and then express to him that you want to revise.  The fact that you have to deflate the band so you can get better is proof that the band isn't working.  Once your unfill the weight will start creeping back and you will be back to square one again.  Good Luck.  I had the lapband and was recently revised to the DS.  Best decision I ever made. 

kimhoke
on 10/26/11 12:27 am
Thanks for the advice.  I'll do some reseach on the DS.  Good luck to you as well. 

(deactivated member)
on 10/26/11 1:00 am - ewing, NJ
 I was banded back in 2005 I thought that everything that I was feeling with the band was completely normal!! I lost 30lbs and gained it back. I was recently revised to DS....If you go to DS forum there are a lot of revisioners on there!!!  Good Luck    DROP THAT CRAPBAND
Most Active