Failed Lap Band, trying to decide between GS or bypass

USAF Wife
on 10/24/11 12:00 pm, edited 10/24/11 12:00 pm
I know what you're describing, and it's not the same with the sleeve.

Dense protein obviously sticks with us longer, but I still have zero physical hunger. I do continue to take a Nexium per day to avoid acid which can cause some false hunger, but I honestly can go about 12-14 hours without eating before even realizing that I need to eat something.

None of the surgeries beat carbs. And with the intestinal adaptation, what's going to happen in 2-3 years when you're back to absorbing everything again. That was my big concern. I wasn't willing to trade 2-3 years of calorie/fat/carb malabsorption for the lifetime of medical restrictions and vitamin/mineral malabsorption.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

MsBatt
on 10/22/11 6:27 am
There's a third option, although your surgeon doesn't do it---the Duodenal Switch (DS). It has the same stomach as the Sleeve, plus malabsorption like the RNY. Because both the Sleeve and the Ds preserve the pylorus, there's no dumping, no getting things 'stuck', and far less risk of reactive hypoglycemia or strictures.

If you think restriction alone will give you all the help you need, get the Sleeve. If you feel you need malabsorption in order to keep your weight off, get the DS.
kegpsu
on 10/24/11 11:45 am
Revision on 01/31/12
I am just reading about DS for the first time this week.  My surgeon is not doing it yet.  Thanks for the info.
mjst220
on 10/24/11 8:49 am
I too had the band- for years. It was either get filled and unfilled or eat and get stuck. I am scheduled for RNY on Nov 2. I know i am a carb - a - holic lol. Not necessarily a volume eater but I think I absorb every calorie I eat or look at lol. Do your research and pick the surgery that you think is best for you. Best of Luck!
kegpsu
on 10/24/11 11:48 am
Revision on 01/31/12
I too am a carb-aholic!  I am a night time eater.  I am so busy at work all day long and have little time to eat so then when I get home at night I eat and then I am hungry again in an hour.  I just feel like I chose wrong the first time and I just feel strongly about the malabsorption of vitamins and osteoporosis but at the same time I feel like even though I think I am making an educated decision for sleeve I might be choosing wrong, ugh!  and thanks for your thoughts!
mjst220
on 10/24/11 11:54 am
I totally understand what you are saying. My insurance doesnt cover the sleeve and my surgeon doesnt perform it either but I think by watching these boards if you keep up with your labs and know your body the RNY can be very successfull. Best of luck!
zuzupetals2u2
on 10/27/11 4:08 pm - Sedona, AZ
do yourself a giant favor and come over to the DS board and READ READ and READ some more and educate yourself on all your options so you make the right choice!! Share your dilemna there and I feel you will get many more responses from people who were where you are now trying to decide. This is serious- please do this!

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

Most Active