Might need revision from lap-band

(deactivated member)
on 10/20/11 6:56 am - Medford, NJ
 I really didn't have any problems with reflux pre-band.  Sometimes I'd get some rightous heartburn after eating Italian food, but a pepcid or even Tums usually took care of it.  I'm pretty sure the reflux and heartburn now is a function of the band.   I think I"d do well with a sleeve. Admittedly, I've lost my mental edge with all that's happened, but I'm pretty sure I can get that back.   Now I just have to convince my doc of that--he leans toward the RNY, which for various reasons mentioned above I'd rather not do.  I'm pretty well-versed in the sleeve--my hubby had it, lost 130 pounds, gained a few back, and then completed the DS.  The problem I'm having now is, I'm really only 40 pounds from goal.  A DS would be way too drastic at this point.  I even think an Rny might be too drastic.  Of course, if this drags on much longer, I'll probably gain more and then the RNY won't be so out of the ball park!  Thanks for your input,
Chris
USAF Wife
on 10/20/11 9:50 pm
I revised from band to VSG over 2 years ago. I did have complications with my revision, including a leak, but that was from the damage the band did. So, my recovery/complications are pretty individualized with all things considered. I only had my 8 months before it had to come out.

I personally didn't want or need a malabsorption component for my lifestyle or surgical wants/needs. So, I fought to have VSG over RNY for my revision.

It was the best decision I ever made, EVER. And, yes, I would endure every struggle, hurdle, obstacle, and extensive recovery to live the life I have today, zero regrets! I lost 140lbs with VSG alone, and maintained that loss for nearly a year until the pregnancy weight started sneaking in. I do have permanent nerve damage from the band that gives me grief. It's been worse in the pregnancy, but it's not something I can't tolerate. It is what it is, and I know that it's something that I'll have to live with. I didn't have reflux pre-op, with my band, or even with the sleeve. I developed some funky, false hunger post-sleeve and went on Prilosec and have chosen to stay on a PPI even this far out with my surgeon and PCM's consent. I still have amazing restriction, I eat all foods, I do not have any stuck episodes, no sliming, I eat about 1200-1500 calories a day in maintenance, and live a very normal life. I've had an uneventful and uncomplicated pregnancy due to VSG as well. So, it really was the very best choice for myself, my lifestyle and what I needed from a surgical option.

Check out all the forums, most of us band to VSG revisioners hang out more on the VSG main forum. I'm always open to questions if you'd like to chat, feel free to shoot me a message.

Best wishes in your research!
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

(deactivated member)
on 10/20/11 10:41 pm - Medford, NJ
 USAF Wife:  Thanks so much for sharing.  My doc is really resisting the sleeve for me because of the leakage potential, also the GERD issue.  My issues for the band aren't that severe at this stage, but general consensus is they will only get worse, not better, so, I'm preparing for a revision. I  also think I've developed a "false hunger"  like you said.  It seems to go away when I take the Prilosec, and when my stomach is truly empty, it HURTS.    I'm prepared to expect a leak--I figure if we're expecting it and I'm watching for symptoms, then we can nip it in the bud.  I would expect to be on an extended liquid diet post-surgery to minimize any problems.  I can live with all that.  I have an extremely strong hx of osteoporosis in my family--to the point my grandmother lost a full foot of height and my mother broke a rib by sneezing (even with osteoporosis meds!)  I'm extremely leery of the malabsorption component of the RNY for that reason. A large portion of my diet is milk and milk products, so if I were to become lactose intolerant that would be a disaster.  I'll continue my research, but so far, I'm really leaning toward a sleeve.  

Thanks so much for your info. I'm glad things are working out well for you post-sleeve and post-pregnancy.   

Chris
USAF Wife
on 10/20/11 11:00 pm
Leaks happen with the other revision options too that's why I didn't allow my surgeon to attempt to dissuade me from the sleeve and higher incidence of leaks. I wasn't able to have unfill(my port was inaccessible completely) and the damage had been done.

The reflux could resolve, there's lots of VSG'ers who are able to wean off the PPI. I just choose to stay on Nexium at this point, not because of reflux, but because some of the vets who are 2 years further out than I am reported a return of hunger and occasional reflux which are 2 things I'm not willing to deal with.

You'll do great, and seek a 2nd opinion if necessary ! ! ! 

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

jerseyjandj
on 10/21/11 3:46 am - keyport, NJ
i had a similiar question the other day ! Who are the Jersey girls doctors ? i was going to see greenbaum but in the phone consult he would play around witht hte thought of ds .. im going to see Nasbaum 11/11/11 i want everything layed out on the table . my band was great until they delivered baby a and at that point i felt the slip and when baby b was delevered it felt like a full blown heart attack .. im done now slimming and vomiting

(deactivated member)
on 10/23/11 10:37 pm - Medford, NJ
 Hi jerseyjandj:  I don't know where your neck of the woods is, but we're over here in the Cherry Hill area-- in the vicinity of Phiadelphia.  Dr. Greenbaum is in the practice I go to.  He loves the DS and is the doc who does most of the revisions.  He mostly specializes in revision from failed RNY to DS.  He will also complete the Vertical sleeve to the DS.  Dr. Wasser is the other Doc.  He also does some revisions:  mostly from lap-band to RNY or to VSG.  In either case, it depends of course on your particular situation and what would work best for you.  Also depends on how much damage was done by the band, etc. etc.  The doc that's on my profile (Dr. Ing) started his own practice over in Bryn Mawr, PA, so I don't go to him anymore.  It's too far for regular fills, etc.  One of these days I'll get around to changing all that info, but it's been so long since I"ve been on this site, I really don't remember how to do it LOL.  Hope this helps,
Chris
Most Active