band to sleeve

tdorsett
on 9/13/11 5:13 am - virginia beach, VA
Hello everyone,
I have had the band for five years but these last 2 years have been a struggle with the acid reflux, nightime gurggle and choking,  the constant vomitting.  I have had way to many painful days and restless nights.  My band has slipped 3x. My doctor is going to remove my band, and gave me the option of gastric bypass or the sleeve. I have researched and decided the sleeve is best for me.  I will be going to my surgeon at the end of the month to get my surgery date. My insurance has been approved and I have to attend the wellness/nutrition class along with a Psych visit.  My question is what are my chances of having everything done in one surgery? I have read that some people have the band removed and then wait from 3-6 months for the surgery.  My doctor did unfilled my band last month and needless to say I gain about 20lbs.  My doctor did put about 4cc's in, to hold me until my next visit. But I want everything done in one surgery, the band removed and the sleeve.  Also how long is the recovery time?  . 
Sexyvt123
on 9/13/11 5:40 am
Congrats on your revision.  I am also having my band removed and also was given the same choice.  I have a high BMI and was told by my doctor that the sleeve is a step up from the band and if I have 100+ weight to loose then it would be a waste to get that.  As far as the Gastric I didn't want to do it and then 3 years later I start gaining so I choose the DS.  Its more maintenance but I have a better chance of losing this weight and keeping it off.  Good luck on your revision.

(deactivated member)
on 9/13/11 5:14 pm
On September 13, 2011 at 12:40 PM Pacific Time, Sexyvt123 wrote:
Congrats on your revision.  I am also having my band removed and also was given the same choice.  I have a high BMI and was told by my doctor that the sleeve is a step up from the band and if I have 100+ weight to loose then it would be a waste to get that.  As far as the Gastric I didn't want to do it and then 3 years later I start gaining so I choose the DS.  Its more maintenance but I have a better chance of losing this weight and keeping it off.  Good luck on your revision.
 I find what Dr. Roslin said very interesting. Really puts things in perspective, doesn't it? And as far as maintenance, I'm assuming you're talking about nutrition maintenance, right? Well, with the RNY you have to take plenty of supplements and watch your nutrition. With the DS you have to keep track of your nutrition a little more closely, but not much. At least with the DS you have a better chance at keeping the weight off. 

Lynda

tdorsett
on 9/14/11 6:33 am - virginia beach, VA
thank you and good luck with your surgery.
DonnaCrosland
on 9/14/11 9:45 am - WA
Hi there,

Had similar issues with my band which I had for almost 9 years and went in on July 1st to get a revision.  Unfortunately I had too much scar tissue to do the revision at that time so am waiting until Oct 2nd to get my sleeve.  I don't think the docs can really tell until they get in there as to the condition of the stomach.  But it's worth the wait and a great step.  You might want to go over to the Obestity Control Center and read the new article on revision on failed sleeves - it is a great article and made me very happy with my decision to go with a sleeve.  It;s a much easier process than the revision on a band.

I feel for you on the unfill - I have only gained 6 lbs since the band was removed - but it has been a constant struggle - I think we forget how hard it was before the band (BB).

For the removal of the band - I was up and shopping the next day.  I saw several folks who got the sleeve and they were up and happy in two or three days depending on how they did with the surgery.  You will have drains for a couple of days...so bring something with pockets...

Keep in touch,

Donna

Sharon G.
on 9/16/11 7:27 am - Middlesex County, NJ
 Hello,
   I had my band removed the begining of Aug( had it for 4.5 years), I had the same issues as you are having, acid refux, bad, bad heartburn etc...My doctor said I had to wait at least 6 weeks to do any kind of surgery...Si as of today, Im schedualed for the sleeve on Oct 7th....Im so excited, yet nervous...

Most Active