Band to Bypass anyone? Am I alone

Marti2
on 8/20/11 9:53 am
C J -

I'd love to hear more about the differences in RNY and Lapband life.  I'm supposed to get word by this Monday from the insurance for approval, even though I'm not expecting an issue I'm on pins and needles. 
C J
on 8/25/11 9:18 pm - Franklin, MA

You're going to LOVE RNY Life!!!

Success with RNY is SO much Easier than the band... I say "Easier" for lack of a better word. There is still work involved and you'll need to be continuously cautious about what you're eating.   Bu
t the surgical change in your anatomy automatically configures your body and mind to lose the weight.  No fills, Food won't get stuck as easy , No throwing up etc.

I had my band out a year before I got my rny so I was fully recovered from that surgery.  Recovery from RNY vs. LapBand is quite different though.  My Band recovery was easy - back to work in less than a week.  RNY is more invasive so a bit more painful (maybe more sore than pain which is totally manageable!)     I was out of work for two weeks but definitely back on my feet after one.  My surgeon was able to cut into my existing Band scar areas adding one to my left side (an inch or so) which was the worst to heal but it's common and goes away

Hopefully by now you've gotten your approval.  Even though most policies carry a "once in a life time clause" if you're having issues with your band it's got to come out.  Assuming you've had some weight loss it'll be a no brainer for insurance. 

I admit I wasn't very compliant with my band - perhaps because I hated it!  The first few months were ok but then I stopped losing or would work really hard and lose 1/2 a lb! It was discouraging!

I look at this as my FINAL shot at weight loss - a third chance at life so I'm Compliant and following the rules as much as I can! 

I'm down over 80Lbs in 7Months.  I'm considered a slow lower because my RNY Pouch was created a bit bigger than the norm because of all the scar tissue left by my band.

Best of luck to you on your NEW journey... like I said, you're going to LOVE IT!!!!

~CJ

Marti2
on 8/28/11 2:26 pm
Thank you CJ,

I got approved and a new date of 9/2.  Honestly, I'm scared, but excited.  I saw my surgeon 8/26, he's so reassuring and confident I can succeed,.  I know I can eat the way I'm supposed to with the RNY and take the supplements.  I'm really only scared for the surgery and pain.  I may get a G tube, which freaks me out.  I'm ready to get this thing done and move on. 
C J
on 8/30/11 12:13 pm - Franklin, MA

Sorry my reply took so long, I live in Mass.. just got my electricity back this afternoon been a long few days... damn Irene!!!!

You sure it's a G Tube and not a JP Drain??   I had a drain for a while, it wasn't a big deal... dunno why they'd give you a feeding tube, I thought that was a result of being malnourished.

Only a few more days until your day!!!   Be excited!!!! Surgery/Pain - it's all manageable you'll do fine, pain is temporary and a very small sacrifice.

Best of everything to you on Friday!!!

Marti2
on 8/31/11 12:39 am

Glad you have your power back, what an adventure. 

I will have a JP drain, which I had when my lapband was repositioned, possibly a G tube......just depends, a pain pump and an On Q pain pump that gives numbing medication to my stomach/abdomen (not sure exactly how that works).  My surgeon said if he gives me a G tube to consider it a good thing as it will make getting my nutrition easier for the first 3 weeks.  I suspect it depends on what the lapband has done to my stomach.  It still freaks me out. 

I am excited to get it over with and move forward.  Thankfully my husband will be able to be around for a couple of weeks, he normally travels out of town each week.  I thought I was going to be on my own with two teenagers after Monday.

(deactivated member)
on 8/20/11 4:07 am
There are lots of folks out there who have gone from Band to RNY instead of the sleeve.

Personally, I am going to revise to the DS because it has the malabsorbtion of the RNY plus the restriction of the sleeve. 

But not every surgery is right for everyone.  Just do all of your research and make sure your decision is right for YOU.  Don't worry about what "the cool kids" are doing.  :)
Barb McGraw
on 8/20/11 1:38 pm - Mount Hermon, CA
Lap Band on 05/18/05 with
I am having my band out This Tues Aug 23 in San Jose with Dr Robert McKeen. My band was placed May 2005 and I loved it. Had 4 plastic surgeries. In Nov 2010 I had a heart attack with a stent put in. With all the insulin, heart trauma, etc my diabetes went out of control. Hopefully the RNY will get the diabetes gone thus save my heart. It will be a hard surgery with all the years of scar tissue, plus with DES stents I have to stay on blood thinners. But it is worth the try. I'll stay in touch with this forum.
Barb McGraw
Where the Redwoods meet the Pacific ocean
Annette O.
on 8/22/11 2:30 am - Hyde Park, NY
RNY on 09/19/11 with
I'm also Having a revision of band to RNY. My surgery date is 9/19/11 almost 5 years to the date of my lap band. Like a lot of lap banders I never lost a lot, a total of 60 lbs and have gained back 30 over the course of 5 years. What I really hate is the throwing up. In all my psycho weight loss behaviour I was never bulimic and never thought I could be. Now I throw up almost daily. I can't live like this anymore. It's good to know I'm not the only one out there having this kind of reviision surgery also!

AnnetteO
Annette O
jenrich
on 8/23/11 5:13 am - Bridgeport, TX
Thanks so much everyone for sharing your stories it has helped me soooooo much. Went to the doctor yesterday and I have started my liquid diet so I am just about there I have pre op on Monday so I now know it is sooooooo close I am pretty anxious and scared but I am also so excited!! I hope that everyone on this page has a better go around this time:) GOOD LUCK WE CAN DO IT...
knailnhair
on 8/24/11 9:56 am - Milford, NJ
Good Luck on your journey!!!

I am one month post op tomorrow, Realize Band to RNY.....I was very scared but sooooo happy I did it!!! Had a few bumps in the road but all is great now and I can start all foods tomorrow.....as of last Thursday (3 weeks post op) I had lost 24lbs. I feel great...tieing my shoes are so much easier...walking up steps doesn't hurt my knees anymore!!!!

Wishing you lots of success!!!!

Kimi
Everything happens for a reason..Just believe...

Most Active