so discouraged

nloffman
on 7/29/11 1:22 pm
I had my initial meeting with one of the few surgeons who does revisions to DN. He wont do son @ this time. I guess because I don't have enough health problems even though my AMI is 45. He wants me to do 6 mos of weight management clinic with the assistance of medication. Which I really don't want to do. Now what? I am so discouraged. Thanks for letting me vent.
MsBatt
on 7/29/11 4:49 pm
What's the surgeon's name, and am I correct is assuming you mean the DS, not the DN? (Never heard of a WLS called a DN.)

You may have to do the 6 months of weight management in order to get insurance approval.

Which surgery did you have, and how long ago?
nloffman
on 7/29/11 10:06 pm
I'm sorry, yes I did mean the DS. I have been on WW for the past 5 years on and off and told him that. I had the RNY almost 10 years ago. I never lost more than 80#. I saw DR. Ikrummidin @ the U of M. One of the top surgeons here in MN and one of a handful that does them
MsBatt
on 7/30/11 3:09 am
Is Dr. I doing a 'true' RNY-to-DS revision now? By that I mean does he recombine the pouch with the remnant stomach and then do a Sleeve? I sure hope so, because we need more good revision surgeons!
nloffman
on 7/30/11 8:10 am
Yes- i believe he is
clpeltz
on 7/30/11 10:11 am
I don't know about Dr. I, but Dr. Buchwald is doing  true RNY-DS revisions. 

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

clpeltz
on 7/30/11 10:12 am
I would suggest getting an appt with Dr. Buchwald and get his opinion on the matter.  He is at the same clinic as Dr. I.

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

airbender
on 7/29/11 8:50 pm
I don't know your history but MO pt usually has been through more diet than they can remember, medication?  meridia, that only has modest weight loss, not the weight loss necessary to get to a normal bmi from 45?  I detest 6 month diets that insurance co want forget if a dr wants them-geesh...now what?  find another dr....
nloffman
on 7/29/11 10:12 pm
I don't know what kind of medication. But after I took fen when years ago I am scared to take anything. I have records of being on WW on and of for past 5 years, but apparently that isn't good enough! I did my research's on dr.'s and chose him because he is the top. Only a few (which are his partners do DS's here). So I cant even go to them. I guess I have to do the 6 months more. Wow
Suzanne H.
on 7/29/11 10:37 pm - Warminster, PA
Try a different state.   I live in PA so I don't know who would be in your area.  I know there are only 2 doctors that specialize in revision to DS on the East coast one is in VA & the other in NJ.  I was approved and I am having surgery in September.  I saw him for the 1st time in May.  He had me go get several tests done & I was approved this week, so not a long process. No diet before hand unless you count the 2 week liquid diet I have to do 2 weeks prior to surgery.  I would like to complain about that but realize I shouldn't because I am lucky thia went as smoothly as it did.  From reading on here, I am not in the norm.

Most Active