REVISIONS AND SCAR TISSUE

(deactivated member)
on 7/20/11 4:25 am - ewing, NJ
I AM LOOKING TO REVISE FROM BAND TO THE SLEEVE. I HAVE EN BANDED SINCE 2005....IM AFRAID BECAUSE OF THE SCAR TISSUE THE DOC SAID IT MAY CAUSE LEAKAGE IF I HAVE TOO MUCH SCAR TISSUE.....WAHT ARE MY ODDS GUYS?? HELP... ALSO I AM REVISING BEACUSE I HAVE GAINED THE WEIGHT BACK I LOST AND HAVE POUCH DIALATION!!!!!! OF COURSE MY DR IS STILL LEANING TOWARDS THE REALIZE BAND....I TOLD HIM ABSOLUTELY NOT I AM SO OVER THE WHOLE BAND THING!!!!!
Duck_Girl
on 7/20/11 4:55 am
I was in the same situation as you and my dr wanted to switch bands as well. I dumped them and found a new surgeon. It only took 3 weeks with the new surgeon to be revised to RNY. I am now 8 days post op and everything went beautiful.

If your surgeon is unwilling to do the revision that you're seeking find someone that will.

I dont think anyone on the boards is familiar enough or medically trained to give you odds of leakage. I would just seek a second opinion.

(deactivated member)
on 7/20/11 5:00 am - ewing, NJ
THANKS I KNOW U GUYS ARENT MEDICALLY TRAINED I JUST WANTED TO KNOW IF UR SURGEON WAS SAYING THE SAME THING, I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT WITH ANOTHER SURGEON NEXT WEDNESDAY. BUT MY SURGEON IS SAYING THAT ITS UP TO ME BUT HE WOULD RECOMMEND THE REALIZE BAND. BUT I AM STILL RESEARCHING, I DO HAVE A QUESTION FOR YOU. WHAT MADE YOU CHOOSE RNY?? MY SURGEON SAYS MY OPTIONS ARE RNY OR THE SLEEVE...........
Duck_Girl
on 7/20/11 5:10 am
Thats the great debate among everyone which surgery is best. RNY if you eat foods that are high in sugar of fat you will get a reminder with dumping syndrome that its a no no. I dont eat foods high in sugar but I do high in fat so I chose to go with the surgery that has malabsorption and provides me with a reminder that I should watch what I am doing more closely.

Both surgeries recommend  that you're on certain vitamins for life so it's a lifestyle change from the band.

I would just research each one individually and take into account what kind of eater you are and what kind of sacrafices you are truely willing to make for life.

TamaraL
on 7/21/11 10:22 am
I think the realize band has more problems than the lap band.  I had the realize band.  My surgeon still puts them in but they are very aware it does not work for everyone. 

I would definetly check with my insurance to see if they cover the sleeve.  If they do, then do your research look at the boards.

The sleeve is fairly new procedure.  You do keep your intestines intact therefore you can take NSAIDS which are important to alot of people. A minimal amount of people get heartburn. 

With the RNY dont depend on dumping because only 30% people dump!!

Tamara

Hislady
on 7/20/11 8:43 am - Vancouver, WA
I don't know about odds but I do know that LOTS of bandsters have revised to the sleeve and been very successful. So I just wish you good luck!
avenalsmom
on 7/20/11 8:34 pm
Here's where my doc stood on the whole revision thing.  Yes there will be scar tissue.  Yes there is a higher chance of leakage with a revision than with a primary procedure.  I can't tell you the exact odds.  He recommended that I wait 6 mos to a year between surgeries.  I wasn't even considering converting, I just wanted the band out.  It was in for 3 1/2 years and I had several problems after the first year of shiny, happy weight loss.  I finally said get this thing out now!  
My doc and his associate were both my cheerleaders for converting to RNY but they knew I wasn't ready to commit.  When I made my appointment for the conversion they beamed like proud parents on graduation!  It was 13 months between the band removal and my RNY.  There was a lot of scar tissue and my procedure took longer because of that.  I am six days post op and have my follow up today.  I can't believe how good I feel!     
I have to tell you, trust in your surgeon and his/her team is absolutely paramount!  They must be on the same page as you and they must be supportive.  Facts are facts, but trust goes a long way with me. If your doc is pushing for something else, talk to him.  If he's not on the same page as you,  there are other fish in the sea!

Lisa N.
on 7/21/11 2:29 am - Williston Park, NY
 I had an RNY back in 2003.  I was revised back to an RNY last Nov.  My surgeon did warn me that there could be leaks and the risk of death.  But I was confident with him.  I also had a ton of scar tissue from my previous RNY and the surgery lasted 5 hours b/c of everything they had to do.  I was told by my surgeon and his associate after my surgery that they had to remove a lot of scar tissue before they could complete the surgery.   I would look into all your surgery options.
   Lisa
soulsister
on 7/22/11 1:27 am - NY
I had my band out almost 2 wks ago. My dr. Said if everything looked perfect he would do the sleeve at the same time. Needless to say I woke up without a sleeve.
He wants to wait six weeks to revise. He said I was loaded with scar tissue.
Some drs. do it in one surgery, some wait wks, months, or a year. There is a chance for leaks, but more come out just fine.
(deactivated member)
on 7/23/11 4:55 am - ewing, NJ
Thanks everyone!! I went to surgeon yesterday we discussed other surgeries  and he is still pushing the Realize band. He says that if I get the any other surgery that I would go through a long process and if I get the band the process is shorter...GO FIGURE!!!! However he said that he will talke band out in 2 weeks and I have to wait for revision...........I have an appt with another surgeon on Wednesday!! I would rather have band removal and surgery done at the same time! I dont wanna go through all those surgeries.......
Most Active