can i succeed with sleeve if i failed w/lapband?

Linda A.
on 7/20/11 6:07 am - Byhalia, MS
VSG on 01/19/12
So here is my biggest fear - had lap band surgery almost 3 years ago. Did ok for about 10 months - slowly lost about 40# , needed to lose about 65# more but stopped losing weight about 9 months out, maintained for about a year btu started having lots of discomfort - puking, belching, getting stuck, reflux. A very traumatic event in our family last Xmas started a quick regain of about 30 of the 40#. By then I was mostly eating slider foods and salads as they were the only things i usually didnt have problems with. I found a new DR who suggested revision . she also removed about half the fluid in my band which caused me to gaina  few more # btu did make me more comfortable - now I only puke about 3 X a week and only burp for an hour after eating instead of 2 - 3 hours. I am about 4 months in to the required 6 month diet my insurance requires. weight more than when I started due to all the above.  I started weigth watchers - faithfuly following- and have begun to lose maybe 1/2 - 3/4 of a # a week. I have to choose between sleeve and RNY. I love everything I havejheard about the sleeve but I am worried it wont work for me - it is restriction and so is lap band. i have been a miserable failure with the lap band so how will the sleeve be better?  I feel like I need the malabsorption RNY gives but it is a procedure I really don't want to have. But of course my biggest fear is I will get teh sleeve and have the same experience as the band - not the choking and puking but just the inability at being able to lose weight and keep it off.
Hislady
on 7/20/11 8:49 am - Vancouver, WA
Check out the VSG forum, there are LOTS of ex-bandsters there who have been very successful with the sleeve. The sleeve is a whole different animal from the band. While it's resrtrictive it isn't the same as the band. If you are still puking and belching like that  you are still too tight or maybe even have a slip because that is not normal for the band. I've only PB'd a few times and while I do belch more it doesn't go on for hours. Good luck to you!
Lori F.
on 7/20/11 10:22 am - Chula Vista, CA
 This is a great question to ask. Have you considered the DS? I am looking into it because I don't want RNY and I can't seem to tolerate the restriction of the band. I'm a puker, too. I was unfilled for awhile and now I have a little fill and I still puked last night- no reason that I can tell... My friend has the sleeve and she has done GREAT. Lost 85 lbs and is keeping it off. I'm interested to see other answers too, though!
Pre-band highest weight: 244
Pre-band surgery weight: 233
Lowest: 199 ( for, like, a day)
CW:
260 (yes, with the band!) 
Current Fill: 5cc in 10cc band
BMI: 49
(deactivated member)
on 7/20/11 11:34 am
 I just learned today that I may have to give up my band due to "dialated esophagus", needless to say I am devastated.  I was very successful with my band for 2+ years. I have not heard of the sleeve before, that I can remember.  How does it work with switching from band to sleeve??
MsBatt
on 7/21/11 12:11 pm
Have you considered the DS? The DS has the very BEST long-term, maintained weight loss stats, and the best stats for resolving or preventing co-morbs like diabetes and high cholesterol. The DS has the same stomach as the Sleeve, plus PERMANENT malabsorption of calories.
JEC103081
on 7/25/11 2:13 am - Charleston, WV
I too am getting ready to start my journey from band to sleeve. Banded in "08" if I remember correctly and only lost about 60 lbs so far with at least another 60 to go. Within last 4-5 months I started vomiting quite frequently while trying to eat any form of meat for my protein, even eggs got stuck on me. I turned to the slider foods just to be able to eat for the day. I didnt gain weight but sure as heck didnt lose any. My husband on the other hand also started with lap band. He couldnt handle the restriction of the band so he opted for the sleeve revision surgery. He has done FANTASTIC with it! Lost 100 lbs and has not thrown up once. Hasnt had any issues other than being able to eat the foods he chooses which can be a bad thing ( he has put back on about 20-30 lbs of the 100 he lost). Hoever, he eats horribly...ice cream, frozen pizza almost daily, fast food almost daily, everything has to be fried or have tons of bread and carbs involved. Well, today I went to a new surgeon since I have moved stated within the last month and needed a new doctor. He immediately withdrew all of the fluid from my band when I told him how I was eating sliders just for sustenance and havent eaten any actual meat in a few months and the weight loss had subsided. I have a scope coming up to see what the issue is with my band so I will keep you posted on that. I also start my information and process for revision to the sleeve surgery this week. I just cant fathom the RNY due to all the malabsorption issues and other health issues they have. They just dont look healthy to me in the long run with dull hair, pre-aging wrinkles and skin from malabsorption no matter how much protein they eat or supplements they take. Definitely opting for the sleeve as i dont heal well due to my insulin resistance from poly cycstic ovarian syndrome. If you would like I will keep you posted as to what is going on. In the mean time since he has removed all my fluid I will be hitting the treadmill hard and loading up on healthy lean meat while I can!
Linda A.
on 7/25/11 4:10 am - Byhalia, MS
VSG on 01/19/12
your story sounds almost exactly like mine! I have had half my fluid removed but still have the same problem. i can't waitto get rid of this band!! Thanks
Most Active