band over bypass

Karen73
on 7/16/11 1:46 pm
Has anyone had a band over bypass? I had RNY in 2002 and since I have put on about 75 lbs. My doc says that I could get a revision. He was in favor of a stomaphyx but i dont think my insurance will cover it so we are looking at the band. Has anyone had this done? HELP
(deactivated member)
on 7/16/11 4:03 pm - San Jose, CA
Really?  He's in favor of a procedure that has no long term results?  And instead - for INSURANCE reasons, rather than medical ones - he wants to do a BOB?  Have you read the problems people are having with the band??

Have you looked into a revision to a DS instead?
Karen73
on 7/17/11 12:40 am
I have made the decision about the insurance because I can not afford to pay out of pocket. I have read about problems people are having with the band but I have also read about problems with all other types of revisions as well. I have read good things about them all too. Did you have any problems adjusting to the DS?
(deactivated member)
on 7/17/11 1:18 am - San Jose, CA

The DS is not experimental, and there is a VAST amount of evidence that it is a superior WLS.  Even if your insurance says they don't cover it, they can be forced to if you appeal to external medical review.  But you will need to see a surgeon who performs the RNY to DS revision to get that advice, and there are VERY few in the US who do it.  But it is worth it.

I had a virgin DS - best thing I ever did for myself.  My quality of life - including and especially my quality of eating - is FAR better than it was before.

Lisa N.
on 7/17/11 12:08 am - Williston Park, NY
 I had stomaphyx in 2008 and it did not work.  I had my revision last Nov from an RNY back to an RNY.  At first I was supposed to have the band over the bypass. But b/c of the way my first surgery was done. ( the pouch was made too low and I had stretched out the pouch and the stoma) I was not a candidate for the band, DS or Sleeve.  I wound up having a full revision.  I would research all of the surgeries to see what is best for you.  Has your surgeon done tests to see what your pouch looks like?    
   Lisa
Karen73
on 7/17/11 12:45 am
You are not the first to say that the stomaphyx did not work for them. I have had all those test and thats why he said that the band would help. How was your recovery with that revision?
Lisa N.
on 7/17/11 10:15 am - Williston Park, NY
The reason why my surgeon would not do the band, was that my pouch has stretched back to my original stomach and the band would not help me. The surgery was risky.  But I had complete confidence with my surgeon.  My surgery lasted 5 hours b/c of scar tissue from my first surgery and everything had to be redone.  My surgeon had to make a new pouch, stoma, and a new connection.  I wound having to stay in the hospital for a week b/c I had a collasped lung.  It also happened when I had my first RNY. I also had issues with my potassium and magnesium. I was soar after surgery, but I wasn't in a lot of pain.  The first two months were a real adjustment for me b/c I had issues with eating and swallowing my pills.  With my first RNY, I never had trouble eating, I never got sick.  This time, I was having trouble eating and I was getting sick.  I also got very depressed.  I had to have a change of my anti depression medication.  I would day after the 3rd month things started to get better.  I have lost a 107 lbs and I did not think I would lose that much.  I am grateful that I had the surgery and I am grateful that my surgeon was willing to do it.

Is the band the only revision surgery that your surgeon does?
   Lisa
heathercross
on 7/17/11 11:38 am - New York, NY
Hi Karen, I had a BOB last month, June 23rd. I had the RNY in 2002 and went from 305 to 175 and in the last 4 yrs I've put back on 65lbs. I too had a stretched out pouch but didn't want to risk a full revision and bc I didn't have a lot to lose, thought the band was a great option. I was looking for restriction again and I have found it. Om down about 22lbs. The weight loss is very slow, 1- 2 lbs per week, but that's great. I took the weight loss from the RNY for granted. My surgery was about 1.5hrs and iwas in and out in less than 24hrs. Pls feel fre to email me with any questions. My profile is fairly up to date.

[email protected]
Karen73
on 7/17/11 12:07 pm
Thank you so much Heather. I helps so much to hear from someone in the same situation. Before my RNY my highest weight was 326 and lost down to about 180. My pouched has stretched too. Now my weight has climbed back up to 250. Thanks for your email address. You will probably be my new best friend :)
Karen73
on 7/19/11 11:14 am

Hi Heather,

I was just thinking about you. How is it going?

Most Active