hypoglycemia /need help

RMLEHEW
on 7/17/11 8:01 am - MN
had rny 6 years ago lost 100 pounds and maintaining. i have been having what i thought was anxiety attacks but they started getting worse about 1 yr after surg i did have anxiety issues but just thought they were getting worse but it was low blood sugars that caused this i went to general dr's for years complaining about this symptom but they had  no idea i should of went to my surgeon when these first started then finally saw surgeon and found out recently it was hypoglycemia reactive. had 2 test one to dx it and an upper endoscopy which was abnormal my pouch is fine but my stoma is to big .now i am in the position to either reverese rny all together or  do duo switch im afraid if i reverse bypass surg i will gain my weight back but im  scared to do another surg. which i guess is not an option here but what if duo switch makes me loss more weight that i cant afford to do or i have side effects from it

ideas please
MsBatt
on 7/18/11 5:17 am
We have at least one regular poster over on the DS board who had her RNY revised to a DS because she had lost TOO MUCH weight, and had terrible issues with her RNY pouch. You should post over there and maybe she'll see it---I can't think of her name right now, sorry.

The DS generally has far fewer 'side effects' than the RNY.
RMLEHEW
on 7/18/11 6:28 am - MN
i guess i wanted to start here to see if anyone who had the ds surg has gone bad , i wanted an opinion if people had absorption problems with the ds and how recovery was .after their surg .........and if diet was the same after surg
it really is not a weight issue it is an absorption issue or lack of .and it is not my pouch it is the stoma is to large

if ds has had fewer side effects then why arent they doing that instead of the rny???

has anyone heard of the gastric sleeve procedure ?
r

MsBatt
on 7/18/11 7:18 am
The gastric sleeve, or just the Sleeve as we usually call it around here, is the same thing as the stomach portion of the DS (duodenal switch). Converting your RNY to the Sleeve would reverse ALL of your malabsorption, and you say you fear regaining your weight. The Sleeve would provide restriction, which your over-large stoma has caused you to lose. Revising to the Sleeve would give you your pylorus back, and *might* cure your reactive hypoglycemia. (There's no guarantee, not even if you completely reverse your RNY and have NO WLS.)

The DS would give you the benefits of the Sleeve, plus malabsorption to help you maintain your weight loss. We have one guy, Yehuda, who got revised from the RNY to the DS. He'd reached his goal weight with the RNY, then started having problems with it and regaining. He got revised before he'd regained much, and his surgeon left him a fairly large Sleeve because he didn't need or want to lose much weight. (I imagine he'll chime in here soon.)

The diet after surgery---well, with the DS your diet would be very 'normal'. Most DSers eat around 2500 calories a day, but absorb less than half of them. We eat a high-protein, high-fat diet, with a moderate amount of carbs---primarily complex ones. Go to the DS board and read some of the "Bites and Vites" threads to get an idea of what most of us are eating daily.

And yes, sometimes the DS DOES 'go bad'---that, unfortunately, can happen with any form of WLS. Approximately 1% of DSers need a revision---usually just a lengthening of the common channel---due to malabsorption issues.

As to your question if ds has had fewer side effects then why arent they doing that instead of the rny??? , the answer is complex. Mostly it's because of two things---skill, and MONEY. It takes more skill to do the DS, due to sewing the very fragile duodenal tissue, and it takes more time in the ER.
This means it takes a surgeon longer to LEARN to do the DS, and more time to perform each procedure. Insurance companies don't like to pay any more for the DS than they do for the RNY, and if a surgeon can do two RNYs---and make twice the money---in the time it takes him to do one DS---well, money talks. (*grin*)

But I will tell you this---they ARE doing a LOT more DSes now than they were six years ago when you had your RNY. We're seeing more and more people with reactive hypoglycemia after the RNY, and more importantly, PRE-OPS are learning about the DS in time to make a fully-informed decision. AS more and more people DEMAND that their insurance companies cover the DS, more and more surgeons are willing to take the time to learn the necessary skills.

Revising your RNY to either the DS or the Sleeve is going to be a VERY complicated procedure---your pouch and your remnant stomach will have to be put back together FIRST, then a sleeve made. Be certain your ONLY have this done by a VERY SKILLED surgeon.
Most Active