How many of us have had to/need to be revised from the "Band"?

Nic M
on 7/16/11 11:23 am
You and I had such similar experiences, Inge. I'm glad you were able to revise to the DS. I'm still waffling. I'm scarred for life from the band experience...scared to go through anything like it again!

~Nicci

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Duck_Girl
on 7/17/11 2:36 am
*Raising BOTH hands*

I had my LB Placed on 4/23/2008. Everything went wonderful for me. I was a perfect Lapband patient. I went from 291 to 170's.. I only had 4 fills over the first 2 years. I had my last fill 4/23/2010 and it was the sweet spot I was looking for.... About 7 months later my band tightened on its own out of the blue and I was unable to even hold water or my own saliva down! I called to make an emergency appt and my surgeon who sucks (Dr. Folek) told me I slipped. She let all the saline out. Every month for 4 months she put the saline in and out to see it was any better when readding saling... NOPE Then in April 2011 she said I slipped again! She wouldnt revise me she wanted to take the band out and put another band in. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?! 

I ran to another Dr. Tersigni in Coos Bay he had my revision to RNY scheduled quickly after reviewing all my charts... Insurance paid and I had my RNY revision this last week!

F The band!!

avenalsmom
on 7/20/11 9:19 pm
 *hand raised*

I was terrified of the invasive surgeries and just knew the band would work for me.  I would be compliant. I would get fit, and my life would never be the same.  The last part is true.  I didn't choose to be non-compliant. After 2 years I was sick of the pain, reflux, and hiccups all the time so I stopped eating.  Then I was starving, so I nibbled on crap.  I see people here call them "slider" foods.  Found every damn pound I lost and got angry.  Took the band out and started over.  Slim Fast, WW, a combo, etc.  I have other medical issues that require weight loss, and I'm too young for this crap.  

Almost a year later we had a family moment which my mother and sister discussed, and they came to me and said that they would be fully supportive if I wanted to go for a bypass.  So here I am, six days post op and feeling pretty groovy! :) 

Banded 12/6/06.  Band out 6/18/10. RNY 7/15/11.  GAME ON!!!

bersjourney
on 7/26/11 7:59 pm
I have not had any type of WLS. I'm still learning about all of it but I've chosen to pursue VSG. A surgeon almost "sold" me with the Band recently. I bought into his "too good to be true" fast talk about how great it is. A red flag should of went up when he said he didn't do RNY but it didn't. This website is a godsend. I am so sorry for the pain you all went through with the Band. I wish all of you had this post to read before your Band surgeries so you could of walked away from it and not had to suffer. I am so thankfully blessed to be able to read these stories and learn before it's too late. Everything happens for a reason and I'm sure this has only made you guys stronger. You all are fighters and heroes in my book and your stories are inspirational and I thank you. (((hugs to all of you))) Congratulations on your weightloss and success!
(deactivated member)
on 8/18/11 10:00 am - PA
HOLY COW!

Both Hand UP and WAVING!!!

I too had the band in 05/09 and lost almost 70 lbs (including pre-op diet) and then WHAM in 11/10 it slips.  WTH!  Get to the ER and have all 8cc removed and PRAY that it goes back into place, thank goodness it does.  Go back in 12/10 and have 2cc added.  SO SCARED that it will slip again, I wait until 6/11 to have another fill.  Get 4CC added, and begin losing again!  WAHOO, back on the weight loss train. It's toooo good to be true.  WHAM again, it slips.  Now I have nothing filled and we are working on having a revision to DS. 

Can't wait to get back on the weight loss train and finally be healhy. 
Nic M
on 7/9/12 8:55 am
BUMP

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

pineview01
on 7/9/12 2:28 pm - Davison, MI
I got mine 2/25/09 and am trying to get it out now.  Have had problems since 2/10.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

meemee1966
on 7/24/12 10:17 am - Canada
My hands are both up too I have the lapband for 4 years with puking, lots of reflux and I had a scope done and know I have polyps caused by using prescription Heart burn medications for years because of my lapband I didnt have it before I recieved lapband its the worse thing i have ever stupidly done. I didnt want to do the invasive surgery so i went with lapband and knwo here i am 4 years later waiting for my surgeon appt to get a revision either to a VSG or a DS i havent decided. I dont want to make the wrong mistake again i cant get rid o this mistake so i hope it works this time
bagelface
on 7/28/12 11:34 pm
VSG on 08/22/12
 Hand up here.  Had the band in 07.  It worked great for about 2-3 years.   Started to tighten up on it's own, continued to do that after having saline removed.  Reflux, productive cough and vomiting ensued.  Revising to a sleeve in August.   I think one of the most disturbing things about the band is the way it starts off (for a lot of us) working great, then things just cascade into the crapper and you feel like crap.  Newbies should really think long and hard before choosing the band, and then choose another procedure.  If things go bad will you be able to revise or will your insurance have a 1 WLS policy at that time.    It's not reversible it's only removable.  

Great thread Zee.  I hope it prevents some people from making a bad choice. 
Stephanie M.
on 7/29/12 6:38 am
 My band is still in, but empty due to nighttime pain, reflux, constant stuck episodes.  Even though I have no fill, I am still feeling a bit too tight...

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Most Active