How many of us have had to/need to be revised from the "Band"?

Zee Starrlite
on 7/12/11 3:15 am, edited 7/12/11 3:19 am

Please, put your hand up!!!  Let those who are considering having their first WLS know that we believed in this procedure wholeheartedly. We did not have the advantage of seeing all the failure that is put before their very eyes today.

Let the pre-ops considering the Band know that we tried the Band with every fiber of our being and it DISAPPOINTED. Even while we embraced the band and denied ourselves the right of the device having failed us.  We blamed us for having failed once again.  What a horrific burden to carry.

My surgeon says the thing about the band is "it's easy to sell".  That makes me weep inside because everything I had in me believed the band  would change my life.  It did, then just like a rug pulled from underneath with no warning, you go crashing losing everything you thought you gained - landing on ground so broken and shattered that you may feel reluctant to trust that solidity exist again.

My surgeon also said now your quality of life will be so much better with the sleeve - the Band is a hard life.  Every single day as I heal and get stronger, I know this is true.  There is hope for us that go crashing and feel as if we lost it all. My hope for you is that you avoid the crashing by not being lured into what is easy to sell.

3/30/05 Banded

8/10/05 New port, the first one never worked

12/20/10 Band removed - Esophageal Dilation with no resolve -   NO, I didn't stuff my pouch, my esophagus stopped working effectively due to the high pressure the band creates.

6/6/11 Sleeved! 

With love,
Laylah

Reply here:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4424289/How-many-of-u s-have-had-to-need-to-be-revised-from-the/

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

losing_the_band
on 7/12/11 3:24 am
Revision on 08/27/15
*raises hand*

I'm currently in the first stages of trying to get a revision.  When it was working, I loved my band.  It's definitely one of those things that when it's good, it's great, but when it's not, it's terrible.  There is no real in-between for my band.  But, I admit, part of the problem was me.  I got too ambitious and wanted the weight to come off NOW, so I allowed my surgeon to overfill me.  I put up with severe acid reflux for way too long and probably damaged my esophagus before I gave in and made the trip to get some of the fill removed.  Now I still have some acid reflux AND I have little restriction, so I've gained 50 pounds back and my BMI is back up to 33 from my low of 24.  I'm just hoping at this point that my insurance will cover a revision.

Hindsight is 20/20, they say.  I'm still glad I got my band, because the alternative at the time would have been an RNY, and that was not and is not an option for me.  I just wish I'd not tried to rush things, and maybe I wouldn't be having the issues I have today.
Holly O.
on 7/12/11 6:47 am - FL
My hand is definately raised!!  I had the lapband for 4 1/2 yrs. and was revised a month ago.  I feel wonderful!!  I had the RNY and have had zero complications!!!  It was so worth the 2nd surgery!!!
   Holly                                      
(deactivated member)
on 7/12/11 9:55 am
 Add me to the list.  Banded in 2007 Dec, start 282, down to 248, up to 300 at one point.

Waiting for my RNY.  

Puking, puking, more puking, food stuck, the list goes on....
Lori F.
on 7/12/11 12:40 pm - Chula Vista, CA
I was banded in 2007. Lost 30, gained it all back plus some- now weigh 260 and I can't even walk down the street because my knees and my back hurt so much. My surgeon applied for revision and I've been denied twice. There's no where else to go for me. I am getting re-filled slowly to see if I can lose something without puking 3-4 times a day. I can't live like this. I can't even go grocery shopping because I can't walk that far.  I also can't puke four times a day either... I almost wish something would "mechanically" go wrong with the damn thing so the insurance will approve the removal and revision. I guess puking daily is my fault, right? I'm just so bummed....
Pre-band highest weight: 244
Pre-band surgery weight: 233
Lowest: 199 ( for, like, a day)
CW:
260 (yes, with the band!) 
Current Fill: 5cc in 10cc band
BMI: 49
Zee Starrlite
on 7/13/11 1:26 am
No way you should be suffering like you are!  Stay the course with the insurance company.  Demand an outside appeal.  Your doc should be doing this instead of filling your band.  Don't fill your band.  It makes things worse when you actually revise.  Your insides need a rest.

Best,
Leila

Sexyvt123
on 7/12/11 11:21 pm
I have both hands high in the air jumping jumping.  Im in the process fighting to get this band out and go over to the DS.  I kick myself every day for deciding to get the band because I was too scared to take a leap to evasive surgery.  Life is a learning process and im hoping to learn from this lesson and correct the bad choice I mad.  Good luck everyone. 

Zee Starrlite
on 7/13/11 1:24 am
Hold on, your approval is in the works.  Your insurance company would rather you take the defeat.  Keep fighting.  You will be happy when it is all said and done and you are on the other side.

Blessings,
Leila

Cheryl N.
on 7/13/11 12:05 am - Des Moines, WA
Raises my hands, then giving the finger to the band!! 

August 1st is the day of band removal and going bypass!

I'm empty and I can eat like there's no band..hate that but i don't miss puking!

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

Zee Starrlite
on 7/13/11 1:22 am

Most Active