Experiences with Dr. Buchwald...Revision from RNY to DS

lwoznick
on 6/14/11 5:47 am - Green Bay, WI
Thanks, Amy. I'm glad to hear good things about Dr. Buchwald. Am looking forward to my consult with him in July. Good luck with your insurance approval and upcoming procedure!

Warmest wishes,

Lisa
(deactivated member)
on 6/17/11 12:45 pm - Bayonne, NJ
There's a big difference between a revision from a lap band and a revision from RNY. Taking down the pouch, restructuring it, and converting it to the sleeve is tricky. Reworking the intestinal bypass and converting that to the switch is also difficult.

Dr. Buchwald and many other DS surgeons will perform a lap band to DS revision, but that doesn't mean they're  doing the RNY to DS revision.
Amy_Kleve
on 6/17/11 1:00 pm - Adrian, MN
I know a member on this site that converted from RNY to DS with Dr. Buchwald. She is about 7 weeks out. So, I know he does them.
Lap band 4 years ago. Revised to DS 8-2-11

lwoznick
on 6/17/11 1:47 pm - Green Bay, WI
Hi Amy,

How has her experience been thus far? Do you think she'd be interested in communicating with me about her revision surgery? If so, please feel free to have her contact me. I'm getting more excited as the date for my consultation with Dr. Buchwald is quickly approaching....July 13. Did she have to undergo any testing when she was there for her consult...like an endoscopy or swallow test? I'm wondering if he will order that and if so, if I can do it at the same time I come for my consult since I'm driving from out of state.

Warmest wishes,

Lisa
Amy_Kleve
on 6/18/11 2:30 am - Adrian, MN
Lisa,
The way it sounds, she is VERY pleased with Dr. Buchwald's work! She always says she is doing very well
I will give her your info so that she can contact you. I'm almost positive she would love to talk with you about her experience.
I don't believe she had to do any tests. You may be able to do those tests at home. If you have questions about the tests or anything at all, I would just call the office.
Where do you live? I live 4 hours away. So far, I have only been up there one time to have a weigh in and a meeting with Dr. B. That was all back in April. My insurance required me to have 6 months supervised diet before I could even submit my pre-auth. So thats why it has taken me so long.

Lap band 4 years ago. Revised to DS 8-2-11

lwoznick
on 6/18/11 3:07 am - Green Bay, WI
Hi Amy,

Yes, I'd appreciate it if you'd give her my contact information. I'd love to chat with her about her experience. I live in Green Bay, Wisconsin...about 5 hours away. I did have an endoscopy and swallow test done in April of this year, so I'm hoping perhaps that will suffice and he won't need to order another series. I've had all of my records sent ahead of time so I'm hoping when I meet with him for the consult on July 13 that he can tell me whether or not I'd be an appropriate candidate for the surgery. Then it's on to getting insurance approval. Not sure how long that will take but I'm just hoping and praying it goes quickly. I'm so ready to have this revision surgery. I know what you mean about the wait....can be so frustrating when you really want to get moving with the surgery. Please keep in touch with me about your experience. You can PM me too.

Warmest wishes,

Lisa
KendyDawn
on 9/1/12 1:42 pm - Ramsey, MN
 Not sure if you are still active on here, but how was your experience?  I had an Upper GI last week, and they found my stomach (or maybe stoma) is stretched to ~100cc (I don't have the report they gave me at work with me today).  I am looking into having this redone as well.  BCBS states that I need to be at least 30% above my ideal weight, which I am over that.  

Hoe did everything go?  Your experience with Dr Buchwald, the revision, any hassles with Insurance, etc?
WisconsinHouseCat
on 3/29/13 9:27 am

Hello Iwoznick, 

I too live in Green Bay and have my consult scheduled with Dr. Buchwald on next Monday, April 8. Had my RNY in March/2002 and have also gained most of my weight back and have an enlarged stoma. Geez, I could've written the above post...I too have all the same questions!!! Would you be so kind as to respond back to me....I would love to hear your experiences with this process and what responses you got back.

Thanks so much!!

lwoznick
on 3/29/13 1:52 pm - Green Bay, WI

Hi There,

Yes, I'd be glad to talk to you about my experience, but I'm warning you, it didn't turn out as well as expected. I had some serious complications and still have them almost  1 1/2 years out. Despite that, I'd still have the revision surgery though. If you'd like to chat, it's better to contact me at my regular e-mail address as I'm not on OH very much anymore. My address is [email protected].

Warmest wishes,

Lisa

HW 293, SW 282, LW (Post RNY) 202, SW Pre-DS 242, CW 219 GW 140
Julie from Ludington, MI is my Angel!

Most Active