Went to Dr Roslin office and bumped into ...

Sexyvt123
on 6/8/11 5:35 am
Frankie!!!!!

Went to Dr Roslin office for the Nutritionist Group and meet some wonderful new friends.  Side note: It was so nice to meet you Frankie. Between Frankie and I we saved someone from getting the crapband.  I hope she really go back and do more research on ALL WLS and then make a decision on which one is best for her. 

Frankie
on 6/8/11 5:39 am - NY
It was great meeting you too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Yes we saved a poor soul from getting the crapband.  I told her to come here to OH because this place is a wealth of information.

Good luck getting your DS!

See you next time!

Frankie

Hislady
on 6/8/11 8:32 am - Vancouver, WA
You should both be knighted for saving this poor soul! Thanks for warning even one person away from this horrid crapband life.
Holly O.
on 6/9/11 12:09 am - Bradenton, FL
Great!!  I am getting rid of my crapband next Wednesday, thank goodness.  Can't wait!!  Glad you talked to this poor soul.  Saved her a lot of grief!!

heathercross
on 6/8/11 10:28 am - New York, NY
Guys, keep in mind that there is nothing wrong with a Band over Bypass.  Roslin will tell you the same thing.  I just think people should educate themselves and do whats best for them. A DS for me would be silly since I am anemic and only need to lose about 60 lbs.
Soon to be Mrs.
Robinson

on 6/8/11 10:48 am
Wow, the "crapband"? What's crappy about it?

~side note~ it is not my intent to start a fight, but gain a little insight.~

Thanks in advance!

'Say what you feel....Because those that matter....don't mind....And those that mind....don't matter. '

~8 pounds gone since High Protein/Low Carb Diet~Feels Great!!

(deactivated member)
on 6/10/11 12:21 pm - Bayonne, NJ
Holly,

I know of one person on here who has consistently posted of success with her band over bypass, her name is Lisa. She did a great job, looks great, but she is not the norm. Some other woman posted here quite a bit that she was making the right decision with her band over bypass, and funny enough, she stopped posting. Not sure why, but it happens.

There's an entire group that was created on here for people who had lap bands and they had complications. Many of the people who post here on the revision board do so due to band problems.  My disclaimer: I was an RNY patient *****vised to the DS. I don't recommend either be undertaken without serious study, but I would hope that people would research ANY surgery.  My RNY revision was not due to regain but due to an extra band around the stoma that caused me many problems. Now, on to some band info:

There are a lot of articles in the medical journals about the low rate of success and the high rate of reoperation for people with gastric bands.

ASMBS:  Gastric Banding Gets Low Marks LAS VEGAS -- Adjustable gastric banding achieves only modest weight loss, and even that benefit deteriorates over time in most patients, a Dutch surgeon said here.

Five years after surgery, about two thirds of patients maintained 25% excess weight loss. At 10 years the success rate dropped to less than a third (31%).

Using 40% excess weight loss as the standard resulted in a five-year success rate of about 50%, which declined to 20% at 10 years, Edo Aarts, MD, reported at the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery meeting.

Control of obesity-related comorbid conditions deteriorated similarly over time.

"If you perform adjustable gastric banding, you must realize that this is not the final solution, most of the time, for your patients," said Aarts, of Rijnstate Hospital, Amhem, The Netherlands.

Reviewing the history of adjustable gastric banding, Aarts noted that initial results were encouraging when the procedure was introduced in the early 1990s. Gastric banding achieved good results with respect to excess weight loss and was associated with a low risk of morbidity and mortality.

The five-year results have been mixed, as some studies showed durable weight loss and others deterioration of initial benefits. Because of the procedure's relatively recent introduction, little information has accumulated regarding the long-term results with adjusted gastric banding, Aarts said.

Rijnstate Hospital has the most active bariatric surgery program in The Netherlands, he continued. Surgeons perform more than 800 procedures annually, and more than 3,000 patients have undergone laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding.

Aarts and colleagues evaluated results in 201 patients who had laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding procedures during 1995 to 2003. All the patients had rigorous follow-up at three-month intervals during the first year and then annually thereafter. As a result, 99% of the patients had complete follow-up data, which spanned an average of 9.6 years.

The patients had a mean baseline age of 37, and women accounted for three fourths of the cohort. Baseline body mass index averaged 46 kg/m2, and 20% of the patients met the definition of super obese. Excess body weight averaged 83 kg.

Using excess weight loss >25% to define treatment success, Aarts and colleagues found that adjustable gastric banding was successful in about 80% of patients during the first three years, followed thereafter by a steady decline to 64% at 5 years and 31% at 10 years.

When treatment success was defined as band in place and excess weight loss >40%, the success rate was 70% at one year, 64% at three years, 50% at five years, and 20% at 10 years.

A third of patients had undergone reoperation after five years, increasing to 53% at 10 years. The incidence of band removal increased from 0.5% at one year to 11% at five years and 35% at 10 years. Conversion to Roux-en-Y gastric bypass accounted for half of all reoperations.

Control of diabetes, hypertension, and gastroesophageal reflux disease all deteriorated significantly (P

(deactivated member)
on 6/10/11 12:23 pm, edited 6/10/11 12:24 pm - Bayonne, NJ

Primary source: American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery
Source reference:
Aarts E et al. "Disappointing results in the long run after gastric banding." ASMBS 10. Abstract PL-118.

If you read the disclaimers on the lap band and realize band sites, you'll see that the band has a 10 life span and then removal is recommended. Once you mess with it, you have a 70% chance of having a problem with slippage and/or erosion.

http://www.lapband.com/en/learn_about_lapband/safety_information/

Patients can experience complications after surgery. Most complications are not serious but some may require hospitalization and/or re-operation. In the United States clinical study, with 3-year follow-up reported, 88% of the 299 patients had one or more adverse events, ranging from mild, moderate, to severe. Nausea and vomiting (51%) gastroesophageal reflux (regurgitation) (34%),
band slippage/pouch dilatation (24%)
and stoma obstruction (stomach-band outlet blockage) (14%). In the study, 25% of the patients had their band systems removed, two-thirds of which were following adverse events.

Esophageal dilatation or dysmotility (poor esophageal function****urred in 11% of patients, the long-term effects of which are currently unknown. Constipation, diarrhea and dysphagia (difficulty swallowing****urred in 9% of the patients.

I have 6 friends who had the band, mostly because there's a doctor in Hoboken who has a banding mill. Of those 6, 1 started out with a BMI of 35 (she's diabetic) and is down to a BMI of 30. Not exactly spectacular. One had a hole develop in the line and had to have a second band put in. She did terribly, got pregnant, had all saline removed, regained all the weight, and now, post-pregnancy, she can't lose the weight with fills. Another had a port flip and had to have a second surgery for that. Two never got anywhere near goal. One lost 60 lbs, could stand to lose another 60. One lost about 80, regained 40 of those, and ideally needed to lose 150 to be "normal." She NEVER should have been banded with a high BMI, the failure rate goes up when BMI is high.

What are the specific risks and possible complications?

Talk to your doctor about all of the following risks and complications:

• Ulceration
  • Gastritis (irritated stomach tissue) (I had this)
  • Gastroesophageal reflux (regurgitation) (I still have this from previous banding)
  • Heartburn (I still have this from previous banding)
  • Gas bloat
  • Dysphagia (difficulty swallowing) (I have this from previous banding and it's forever)
  • Dehydration
  • Constipation
  • Weight regain
  • Death

Band to DS
on 6/11/11 12:35 pm, edited 2/4/12 3:30 am
Unfortunately, I had to delete this post due to privacy concerns.

Got a lap band in 2008. Tried hard, but didn't lose much weight & developed swallowing problems. Fought my insurance company for almost a year & finally had a band to DS revision on 5/11/12. Have now lost 125 pounds. Yay!

heathercross
on 6/12/11 12:00 am - New York, NY
I'm sorry Shelli, did I bash her idea?  I said educate yourself.  I agree, not one surgery is right for everyone.  10 yrs ago, when I had 150lbs to loose, I chose the RNY over the band bc it was new and I had so much weight to lose. Now, this time around, Im chosing the band.  If you re-read every reply I have given it involves the word "educate yourself".
Most Active