new to revision idea

cbhjr98
on 6/2/11 2:38 am
So when you first started thinking of having a revision - who did you speak to (especially those who no longer see their original surgeon for whatever reason - like moving)? A consult with another bariatric surgeon, or requesting specific tests from your PCP? How did you get the ball rolling?

(I currently have RNY and would like to get an RNY w/ Fobi or converted to a DS).

Thanks,
Cass

Starting BMI under 45? Join us on The Lightweight Board. 
HW:257ish / SW:205 / CW:110.4 / GW:119.99
Wishmeluck123
on 6/2/11 4:18 am, edited 6/2/11 4:19 am
Hi Cass~

My revision journey started about 2 years ago. When I noticed I was having issues. Like never feeling full, weight gain, vomiting etc......I first sought out the lap band. However, I was not a candidate for this. I have an auto immune disease. After many different surgeon consults. I had a swallow study done. This revealed a very large pouch and opening both in and out of the pouch. Partially my fault since I had my orginial surgery in 2001and was not as compliant as I should have been. But during surgery my surgeon said he never saw anything like it. A limb had formed causing food to overload into my stomach  causing weight gain and  in turn caused the vomiting. I also had a hernia and lots of scar tissue that needed to be removed. I feel like a new person now and have not one ounce of regret. I was also to go for an endoscope to have something called sclerotherapy. However, once my surgeon saw the swallow study I was not a candidate for that. I needed surgery to fix my issues.

I did look into the DS as well. For me that was just too invasive. They have to reverse the RNY and then start the DS. Just too much to deal with.

So....I am now 5 weeks out 26lbs down....a total of 96lbs from my original surgery. I would like to lose another 40-50lbs if possible. But I feel wonderful.

I think since you are familiar with the RNY it would be a safe choice to go with that again....However, it is truly up to you and what you feel comfortable doing.

I would think the first step is see your PCP and get a referral if needed to see a bariatric doctor. Or have your PCP order you a swallow study and/or endoscope prior to your surgeon appointment so you can bring it with you. If you go prepared the first time (unlike me) lol you will get answers quicker!

All the best.....
Melissa~ 

Acceptance means that you can find the serenity within to let go of the past with its mistakes and regrets, move into the future with a new perspective, and appreciate the opportunity to take a second chance!

clpeltz
on 6/2/11 5:16 am
Hi Cass!  I am 5 weeks out from a RNY to DS revision.  I started the process last December.  I had gained back 50lbs from my lowest...having never gotten anywhere near my goal.  I was having a lot of food intolerance and reactive hypoglycemia.  I had not been back to my original surgeon in some time.  I did not feel the clinic was very good with follow up and I was embarrassed about the regain so I made an appt with a great DS surgeon here in MN.  I got in to see him relatively quickly and he did an xray and a scope to check out the pouch.  It had stretched out and there was a stricture as well.  I have had several strictures that continued to come back.  I decided that the DS was the best thing for me.  I needed the malabsorption because of my obliterated metabolism.  The process went fairly quick for me, which I suspect is not the norm.  It was only 4 months from that first meeting with Dr. Buchwald until I was having surgery.  I am very happy so far.

I will mention that you should post on the DS forum as well since you are considering that.  You can also get information at dsfacts.com.  There are only a handful of surgeons in the US that are capable of doing the RNY to DS revision.  Good luck in your journey.

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 6/4/11 4:56 am
There are so many RNY to DS conversions (as well as Fobi to DS) on the DS board, you may want to ask over there too. I'd be as leery of the RNY with Fobi as regular RNY, just since it may mean you'll eventually need yet another revision. Just too much risk with additional surgeries. 

There are only a few surgeons that are qualified to do the the revision from RNY to DS, so I'd start by getting a consult with one of those guys. There are others who claim they do revisions, but then you get there and they really only want to convert you to ERNY, which is easier for them, but not for you.  I'd probably start with Keshishian, Rabkin or Gagner.

Most Active